S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 cents

The engine management doesn't adapt to your style of driving instead it compensates for any engine wear or dirt build up etc etc

The idle problem occurs when the battery is changed because when the battery is disconnected the ecu forgets any unique settings it has in its memory for your engine wear etc

The build up of gunge in the throttle body means that the butterfly position changes over a period of time. The ecu knows this and compensates electronically.

When the ecu is wiped (when the battery is disconnected) it only knows its default settings so it thinks that the throttle butterfly is not fully closed and tries to close it by adjusting the stepper motor on the throttle . When it cant do this you get a viscous circle where the ecu is trying to shut off the throttle but the gunk under the throttle butterfly wont let it .....hence the hunting idle. This can be fixed by an Audi tech by resetting the throttle idle position in the ecu

clean and recode
Old 05-24-2015, 05:25 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by allenst
The engine management doesn't adapt to your style of driving instead it compensates for any engine wear or dirt build up etc etc

The idle problem occurs when the battery is changed because when the battery is disconnected the ecu forgets any unique settings it has in its memory for your engine wear etc

The build up of gunge in the throttle body means that the butterfly position changes over a period of time. The ecu knows this and compensates electronically.

When the ecu is wiped (when the battery is disconnected) it only knows its default settings so it thinks that the throttle butterfly is not fully closed and tries to close it by adjusting the stepper motor on the throttle . When it cant do this you get a viscous circle where the ecu is trying to shut off the throttle but the gunk under the throttle butterfly wont let it .....hence the hunting idle. This can be fixed by an Audi tech by resetting the throttle idle position in the ecu

clean and recode
I'm not sure if this is the thread you meant to post in...but...no. Anything required to be stored would be in non-volatile memory. Your statement implies the odometer would reset to zero when disconnecting the battery...which we all know does not. Also one of the few benefits of FSI is the lack of gunk on the throttle butterfly. I've had 75k miles on mine and the throttle butterfly looked brand new on both sides. Only way to muck it up would be if you installed an over oiled aftermarket air filter.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I finally found a place to fix my Lag problem on my 2014 S6. Carmax. It is disappointing that such a great car is plagued with this issue and more so that Audi wouldn't do anything to fix it on my 2014 model after many attempts. Overall I loved the car and will miss it but I couldn't stand the frustration and didn't want to be stuck with the car long term.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MalibuCANE
I finally found a place to fix my Lag problem on my 2014 S6. Carmax. It is disappointing that such a great car is plagued with this issue and more so that Audi wouldn't do anything to fix it on my 2014 model after many attempts. Overall I loved the car and will miss it but I couldn't stand the frustration and didn't want to be stuck with the car long term.
Get a replacement yet?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got this installed and it fixed it: TSB 2035235/2 - ECU update

Didn't do the TCM update.

If you're not sure if you still have the lag or not, the easiest way to reproduce it is to find a free-flowing right turn... slowing to normal right-turn speed and then hitting the accelerator created the most noticeable lag for me... on the order of a good second and a half before the engine woke up.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nashtyboy
I got this installed and it fixed it: TSB 2035235/2 - ECU update

Didn't do the TCM update.

If you're not sure if you still have the lag or not, the easiest way to reproduce it is to find a free-flowing right turn... slowing to normal right-turn speed and then hitting the accelerator created the most noticeable lag for me... on the order of a good second and a half before the engine woke up.
What model year is yours if I may ask? Seems they're not doing any ECU updates for MY2014 and MY2015 S6/S7. saying it's not applicable. They've only done one that they said applies to my 2014 S7 - the TCM one. And if yours is a MY2014/15, what did you have to say to them just so that they'll update the ECM for you.

Last edited by ben_aip; 05-25-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ke116ngc
Yes! I just got my car back today and they updated my ECU software to version 0007 and they updated the TCM software to version 0013.
How do you tell which version of software you have using VCDS? Is it at the end of the component field for the Engine and Transmission controllers? If so, I have the original software for both:
  • Engine: Component: 4.0l V8TFSI / H62 0006
  • Transmission: Component: 0B5 40TFSINAR H01 0009

Time for a dealer visit.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uttevrec
How do you tell which version of software you have using VCDS? Is it at the end of the component field for the Engine and Transmission controllers? If so, I have the original software for both:
  • Engine: Component: 4.0l V8TFSI / H62 0006
  • Transmission: Component: 0B5 40TFSINAR H01 0009

Time for a dealer visit.
Correct. Your bold items are the version numbers.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Finally did an AutoScan after getting the updates, just to confirm I have them:

ECU

Previously on 0006

Now
Component: 4.0l V8TFSI / H62 0007

TCU

Previously 0009

Now
Component: 0B5 40TFSINAR H01 0013

Car does feel more responsive, but I still need to take it to a certain road where I know I could always get the lag previously. Then I'll be able to confirm or deny for certain.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looking very forward to these updates at my 25k service. My ECU software is comparatively ancient:

Component: 4.0l V8TFSI / H62 0002

Quick Reply: The DEFINITIVE Definitive Word on the Throttle Lag Issue(?)