S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Divorce final. Moving up the line. S6 or...

Old 12-01-2014, 02:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Divorce final. Moving up the line. S6 or...

Ah. Time to enjoy my bonuses again. While this forum seems to run in model cylinders I'll try here first to see what you think of what comes after an A6 sport.

Keep in mind my GF has a 15 Q5 3.0 and I would not be caught dead owning one but I do drive it on long rides.

I drive very hard. I have some track training but not a lot. I will not track my own cars in 2015. I have friends with M5s and 3s who cover that.

Now the fun part. My A6 could go away in 2015 especially because I'll have a company lease option.

There are no S6s nearby so pray tell me how much different the S6 really feels.

And if you can, as I've driven an RS5 and fell in love with all but the lack of headroom for a 6'2" driver (sad) let me know how an S6 feels vs that car around corners.

My evil plan is to leave summer tires on the next sedan and garage it in the winter. So all options are open.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've driven an A7 and own an S6 - haven't driven a regular A6 though. I thought the A7 was pretty quick and comfortable. The S6 is about as fast of a car as I'd dare own. It makes effortless power, but it's a little quiet. There is almost no gas mileage penalty for the 4.0T vs. the 3.0 S/C, which I love about the S6.

I have driven an RS 5 and it was fun for what it is, but the car itself is just not as comfortable as an S6. I'm 6'4" so lack of room is an issue for me as well (plus I'm married with two kids). My wife is not a car person at all, but we took a ~200 mile trip last weekend in my S6 without kids, and she was extremely comfortable, I was happy to drive it, and we got 25 mpg overall. Plus, it's so smooth that I could sneak up to 80-85 for brief periods to pass idiots and she didn't bat an eye. Guarantee she would have yelled at me if I had to do that in her 2013 Sienna.

It really comes down to a matter of personal priorities. The RS5 will give you more sport and more exclusivity at the expense of economy and comfort. The A6 will give you slightly better economy (plus a lower upfront cost) with the loss of performance. If you can't or won't use the performance, then there's not much point to having it.

The other thing I'm not crazy about with the RS5/S5/S4 is that the model is at the end of its life cycle, so design and technology are starting to fall behind. I had an S4 loaner a few weeks ago and I was put off by the lower-tech components inside.

My complaints about the S6 are few - it's too quiet (easily solved with aftermarket exhaust, but my better half is strongly opposed to spending money on something to make the car more obnoxious) and the 7-speed DSG sometimes is clunky and unrefined. If I need to pull out quickly, I put it in sport mode, but otherwise, it's smooth 95% of the time in regular auto mode.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 69Firebird400
My complaints about the S6 are few - it's too quiet (easily solved with aftermarket exhaust, but my better half is strongly opposed to spending money on something to make the car more obnoxious) and the 7-speed DSG sometimes is clunky and unrefined. If I need to pull out quickly, I put it in sport mode, but otherwise, it's smooth 95% of the time in regular auto mode.
I think Audi heard your complaints - the 2016 is coming with a sports exhaust as an option and a revised DSG:

Driven: 2016 Audi S6 Sedan (Europe) - Fourtitude.com
Old 12-02-2014, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by amelen
I think Audi heard your complaints - the 2016 is coming with a sports exhaust as an option and a revised DSG:

Driven: 2016 Audi S6 Sedan (Europe) - Fourtitude.com
Nice. I hadn't heard about the sport exhaust. Nonetheless, I'll be sticking with mine for several more years. Still in love with it despite my minor complaints.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 69Firebird400
Nice. I hadn't heard about the sport exhaust. Nonetheless, I'll be sticking with mine for several more years. Still in love with it despite my minor complaints.
Yup, it's part of the new sports package:

http://www.alexmelen.com/2016AudiOrderGuide.pdf

The transmission is suppose to be less jerky now too:

"The car’s 7-speed S tronic (DSG) transmission gets even more significant revisions, with the replacement of its hydraulic pump for a new electric equivalent. Now, instead of gears immersed in transmission fluid, they are instead constantly sprayed on demand by the electric pump, which all makes for more efficient performance and less parasitic drag."

Doesn't help current owners, but gave me the final push to put my order in because those few things (along with a couple of other small items they improved) were bothering me about the car. In your case, you might be able to swap out your exhaust for the new S6 sports exhaust. It should be a little bit louder, but not as loud as after market options.
Old 12-02-2014, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thx. Does the S6 have a speed limiter? The A6 sure does.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is another review, came out yesterday.

2016 Audi S6 / S7 First Drive
Old 12-03-2014, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

The '16 S6 may well be my next car.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Go123
Here is another review, came out yesterday.

2016 Audi S6 / S7 First Drive
Very nice. I still prefer the look of the 6 over the 7 and I need a useful back seat.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

The S6 was the divorce present I gave to myself.

For my 2 year anniversary I got a GT3...man this divorced and single thing can get expensive. :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Divorce final. Moving up the line. S6 or...