S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Paint Protection Film for S6

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Protection Film for S6

Hi - my S6 is scheduled to arrive in July (ordered May 10), so just finalizing a few items that I'll have the dealership look after when it arrives.

My dealership works with a PPF guy (he's quite good) that uses both SunTek and Xpel (he's stopped using 3M). The S6 I've ordered is Glacier white which, in my opinion, means full hood coverage with the PPF is preferred so lines don't show.

Has anyone added film to their S6? Would you agree that full hood coverage is necessary? Going full hood seemed like a no brainer until I asked the price, + $1100. This is about a 40% increase in film cost over doing just the front part of the hood. Based on what I've read elsewhere, the full hood coverage may include more film on other parts of the car as well - but I'm not sure.

Also, the PPF guy that works with my dealership only uses Xpel Ultimate for full hood coverage. The Suntek product will only provide coverage for the front part of the hood (first 18" or so) and there's no full hood coverage available. For partial coverage, the Xpel Ultimate is $300 more than SunTek, but when going to the full hood coverage, the price rises dramatically over the Xpel Ultimate with just partial hood coverage. Not sure why.

Thanks.

Last edited by bradaudi; 06-20-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't do any film. I Opti-Coated the crap out of it though.

I've NEVER had rock chips on the hoods of any of my cars and Audi paint is supposedly very hard. Didn't seem necessary to me.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did do the Xpel film on the front (not full coverage) and the rear bumper. Then I opti coated over it. My my this black s6 looks great after and you can barely see the line.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Hi - my S6 is scheduled to arrive in July (ordered May 10), so just finalizing a few items that I'll have the dealership look after when it arrives.

My dealership works with a PPF guy (he's quite good) that uses both SunTek and Xpel (he's stopped using 3M). The S6 I've ordered is Glacier white which, in my opinion, means full hood coverage with the PPF is preferred so lines don't show.

Has anyone added film to their S6? Would you agree that full hood coverage is necessary? Going full hood seemed like a no brainer until I asked the price, + $1100. This is about a 40% increase in film cost over doing just the front part of the hood. Based on what I've read elsewhere, the full hood coverage may include more film on other parts of the car as well - but I'm not sure.

Also, the PPF guy that works with my dealership only uses Xpel Ultimate for full hood coverage. The Suntek product will only provide coverage for the front part of the hood (first 18" or so) and there's no full hood coverage available. For partial coverage, the Xpel Ultimate is $300 more than SunTek, but when going to the full hood coverage, the price rises dramatically over the Xpel Ultimate with just partial hood coverage. Not sure why.

Thanks.

I think the biggest deciding factor is how you are driving your car. With just over 30,000 miles in 2 years, approx 70% interstate, I had two rock chips on the hood on my A4. Both chips were just behind the partial hood PPF. For me, that was the deciding factor for me to get the full front clip this time around on the A7. If you're not on busy truck-filled interstates, you may not feel it's as necessary for you. For me, it's a no brainer that I will always have it and you'll find many on the forum who feel it's a necessity as well. When you're spending $60K, $70K, $80K+ on a car, another $1,000-$2,000 to protect it is a drop in the bucket.

I also appreciate that if a bird bombs my car while at work, the PPF protects my paint. I can't babysit the car all day.

With Xpel Ultimate on two existing cars, I went with Nano Fusion on the A7. IIRC, it was $1250. Another $750 for OptiCoat, OptiGloss and OptiGlass. I'd expect the Xpel to come in a bit more expensive.

If you decide to do it, I guarantee you won't regret it.

Edited to add: make sure you go to the PPF installer yourself. Don't go through the dealer as that's an easy way to save a good chunk of cash. Here our Audi dealer with add Xpel for $2,200; if I go direct to the same guy, he charges $1,200.

Last edited by melland; 06-20-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did Suntek ppf over full front end which includes full hood and fenders. The package included mirrors, door handle cups and a strip on the rear bumper by the trunk. I paid $1200 for it in NC. To me the suntek looks better than the xpel, it's glossier with much less of the orange peel I can see with the xpel. I also did opticoat pro plus on the car, wheels and glass.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Xpel Ultimate full front, wrapped edges on hood and fenders, mirrors, A pillars, rocker panels and rear bumper by trunk opening then Opti-Coat Pro done on entire car including wheels. Three years and not one rock chip or paint fade or blemish. Haven't needed to wax since and shiny as when new.

In order to do full hood, installer must stock Xpel's 60" roll which is very expensive. I hate visible seams so went for it.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

White S6 with XPel Ultimate film here.

I will strongly suggest you get full coverage with wrapped edges on the protected panels. The dirt collects on the film edge and looks bad on a white car.

You can expect anywhere from $1400-2000 for full front coverage with XPel Ultimate. Bumper, Hood, Fenders.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
White S6 with XPel Ultimate film here.

I will strongly suggest you get full coverage with wrapped edges on the protected panels. The dirt collects on the film edge and looks bad on a white car.

You can expect anywhere from $1400-2000 for full front coverage with XPel Ultimate. Bumper, Hood, Fenders.
I paid $1500 for my full front as mentioned in my previous post and $350 for the Opti-Coat Pro. (This was three years ago in the Boston area). Best investment "add-ons" to a car I've ever made.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just posted some pix of my new Prestige, S-line Sports 20" and drivers assists equipped A6 in the thread about taking delivery in Scottsdale on June 12th.

Some of the photos show before and after Suntek CXP 35 on front door windows and CXP 18 on the rear door and far rear window ... my next trip down to Scottsdale am likely going to add Crystalline 70% to the front window to cut down some of the minor HUD glare and cut out 60% of the front window heat in what is shaping up to be another blazing Arizona summer.

Im very happy with the Suntek CXP films as it is very clear, has almost as good of sun heat block as 3M Crystalline and the CXP 18 on the rear sides and far rear is definitely not too dark but dark enough to look very good with my Florett Silver Metallic car.

The tint job was $425.

I also put XPEL Ultimate on the full front half ... front bumper, headlights, full hood and fenders, rear mirrors and full lower side sill rocker panels as well as a strip running along the bottom and lower side of each rear bumper right behind each rear wheel well protecting where road rash would fly up and pit the lower bumper over time from the rear wheels .

Now Im learning about Opti-coat for the first time so I may have another step to go.

Also, for ultimate windshield protection, especially if you track your car , consider ClearPlex on the front window. It is VERY clear, has no tint, and is nearly impervious to any rocks or hash pitting or cracking your OEM windshield.

It can run around $320 for a full A6 front window, but if you like to drive your car fast it can come in handy.

Last edited by Hulamau; 06-21-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You don't have to drive fast for the windshield to chip and crack. After 3 years mine was all pitted and finally a rock created a chip. My insurance company had it repaired it but it didn't take and developed a large crack. They then paid for a new Audi windshield.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film for S6