S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

The first 1,000 miles in my 2016 S6

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The first 1,000 miles in my 2016 S6

I was coming off two years of driving a 2012 A6 3.0L with the Sport package, so I was familiar with this chassis and the general layout of the C7.

I got the following options:
- Daytona Grey Pearl exterior
- Black Valcona leather interior
- Carbon Atlas Inlays
- Sport Package
- Driver Assistance Package
- Black Optic Package
- Additional warrant (7-years or 100K miles)

I'll also likely own this car for a while, so I had it treated with Opti-Coat Plus and had Xpel Ultimate film applied to the hood, front and rear bumpers, front quarter panels, and kick panels (the guys at Diamond Car Car Systems did a phenomenal job). My A6 had accumulated a lot of rock dings and chips from driving up and down Highway 17 to our home, so this seemed worth it to protect my investment.

I was fortunate enough to be able to unwrap my car right off the delivery truck.

Good:
- the standard sport seats are AMAZING! This was my biggest complaint with my 2012 A6: even with the Sport package, the seats were effectively unbolstered, and pretty meh.
- changing between Comfort and Dynamic results in radically different experiences (and auto switches to Sport mode if done while driving), steering and handling stiffer, exhaust more aggressive, etc. I mean, it feels and sounds like you are driving a completely different car!
- amazing drive / handling experience. Many reviewers have commented on the dramatic reduction in body roll with the Sport package, and I have found this to be true.
- adaptive cruise control is SUPER useful. How did I ever live without this!?!? I regularly commute to the office, and this has made my drive so much more bearable. I also live up a very curvy section of road (Highway 17) and I now trust the car more than me to determine minimum safe distance in traffic, especially when light and/or road conditions are poor.
- does a great job of removing workload on the driver (adaptive cruise control, auto wipers, auto headlight dimming, etc)
- did I mention that the Sport exhaust makes this thing sound like a beast?
- I'm really impressed with the gas mileage I'm able to achieve if I let the cruise control handle my speed and keep in Comfort mode. This salves my conscience when I want to mash on the accelerator from time to time...
- the paddle shifters plus this transmission are actually useful! Even though I had the Sport package on my A6 with paddle shifters, I ultimately came to the conclusion that they were not that useful and just let the car shift for me. With my S6 in Dynamic, I'm actually able to brake the car with the engine downshifting (although I have to be below 4,000 RPMs) and the sound the engine makes... WOW!

Bad: (these are all really just nits - nothing major)
- Entering addresses via voice is just silly (given that they have Google Voice is integrated), and I almost never use the built in navigation, preferring to rely on Waze or Google Maps.
- counter intuitive scrolling of MMI wheel (clockwise should be zoom in)
- should have button (ideally on the steering wheel) control to shift between drive modes (comfort > auto > dynamic > individual)
- no visual indication in the instrument cluster or HUD of what mode (comfort / dynamic / etc) the car is in
- auto wipers need to be reset after the car is turned back on
- engine shuts off when switching to reverse [note that this seems to have gone away as the car has "learned" when to employ the engine auto stop / start feature]
- auto brights have to be reset when the car is turned on

Enhancements I'm still considering...

Black Badges: $780 + installation
TAG Blackout Cosmetic Package for Audi S6

RaceChip: $679
Chiptuning | RaceChip USA
(not as big an impact as AWE tuning, but also does not have the potential to void my warranty)

ANTILASER PRIORITY JAMMING SYSTEM: $750 + installation
AL Priority Multipurpose Parking System

Last edited by TallMartin; 01-27-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick question. What do you mean by "does not have the potential to void my warranty" mean?

--Erik
Old 01-26-2016, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think he believes it will not trigger a TD1 by removing the box prior to going to the dealer...... Are we really confident 1) this box does anything, 2) this box is safe, and 3) it isn't detectable after it is removed by log data?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

There is a person regularly on this forum who actually works at an Audi dealership and runs RaceChip on his car. I questioned him about his experience, and about the fact that it does not trigger a TD1
Old 01-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beautiful car! Enjoy it and many happy sMiles!!
Old 01-27-2016, 02:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beautiful car. I really like that color grey.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Beautiful car bud!

What do you mean the "engine shuts off when switching to reverse"? From D to R?
Old 01-27-2016, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 63MM
Beautiful car bud!

What do you mean the "engine shuts off when switching to reverse"? From D to R?
There was a period when the car would shut off the motor as part of the auto stop / restart functionality when shifting from D to R. This is a function of a feature which shuts off the engine when the car is stationary and in Comfort mode to conserve fuel (for example, at a stop light). However, it seems that the car is "learning" when to do this, as I have not had this happen in the last week or so when shifting into reverse...
Old 01-27-2016, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Stop/Start Button

Originally Posted by TallMartin
There was a period when the car would shut off the motor as part of the auto stop / restart functionality when shifting from D to R. This is a function of a feature which shuts off the engine when the car is stationary and in Comfort mode to conserve fuel (for example, at a stop light). However, it seems that the car is "learning" when to do this, as I have not had this happen in the last week or so when shifting into reverse...
There is a stop/start button on the dash to turn the function on and off . The 2016 A6 forces you to turn off the stop/start every time you start the car to disable it. Fortunately, the 2016 S6 defaults to the last setting you had the button in so you can leave the stop/start off all of the time. I have the identical 2016 S6 to your configuration. My 7th Audi.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe it's me, and I don't push my brake pedal down very far when I stop, but I can easily control when the motor shuts off. I have to go out of my way to make the car shutdown at a traffic light, but I guess like I said maybe I'm just used to not pressing the pedal very hard. I like the feature because when I know I'm at a long light I give the pedal a little extra press and the engine shuts down.

Quick Reply: The first 1,000 miles in my 2016 S6