S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

FLAC format playback...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound awfully retro, and I look forward to trying multichannel FLAC via SDXC if my car ever gets here, but will the B&O play a physical DVD-Audio format DVD? Anyone know?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wilburhaines
This may sound awfully retro, and I look forward to trying multichannel FLAC via SDXC if my car ever gets here, but will the B&O play a physical DVD-Audio format DVD? Anyone know?
It will play a DVD, but only the DVD Video folder, it will ignore the DVD Audio folder. MMI does not have an MLP decoder. It is a simple task to convert DVD Audio or Video to FLAC.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the now extinct hi res "DVD-A" format which was the hot audiophile format 10-15 years ago but died on the vine, which only a very few DVD players (mostly Oppos) even have the codecs to decode. I have quite a few hard copy originals and a great many more extractions on HD. The extractions I figure I can somehow decode to multichannel wav and then reencode to multichannel flac for the SD card, after much tearing of hair, but i have seen dealer ads touting the B&O as having "DVD Audio" capability and am uncertain whether they are oblivious to DVD-A as a term of art and are simply referring to the "24/96 in the /AUDIO folder" workaround as you suggest.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wilburhaines
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I was referring to the now extinct hi res "DVD-A" format which was the hot audiophile format 10-15 years ago but died on the vine, which only a very few DVD players (mostly Oppos) even have the codecs to decode. I have quite a few hard copy originals and a great many more extractions on HD. The extractions I figure I can somehow decode to multichannel wav and then reencode to multichannel flac for the SD card, after much tearing of hair, but i have seen dealer ads touting the B&O as having "DVD Audio" capability and am uncertain whether they are oblivious to DVD-A as a term of art and are simply referring to the "24/96 in the /AUDIO folder" workaround as you suggest.
You were clear, it won't play AUDIO_TS folders. I also have a 100 or so DVD Audio discs or equivalents. I use DVD Audio Extractor which reads the Audio folder directly and converts the MLP to FLAC directly. It will also read the video folder and convert blu rays discs.

DVD Audio Extractor -- Full featured DVD audio ripper for your easy use

Download the trial, you will be able to convert everything to FLAC by the time your car arrives. I purchased it many years ago, and have always had copy of my dvd audios on my hard drive.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also for the DVDA that you have on your hard drive, just directly open the Audio folder, and also click on the tag button so it populates the tracks. FYI DVDA made a comeback a couple years ago, they have been releasing many titles along side of blu ray pure audio.

QuadraphonicQuad - DVD-Audio Titles of Note
Old 05-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks. had a hunch DVDAE was the right tool, i monkeyed around with the demo a couple of years ago because it looked like the easiest if kludgy path was to burn my ISOs to disc and then extract with DVDAE. guess i'll go buy a licensed copy now to have something else to distract myself with during this interminable wait for Der Wundercar.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if the 3G plus b&o from 2013 can be software updated to play these flac files?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Go123
Update: New MMI can handle 256GB SD cards. Now I can have my entire library (512GB) in lossless FLAC (Stereo and Surround)
Hello,

Can you confirm you got a 256GB SD card to work in your 2016?

Thanks

Lonwa
Old 07-22-2015, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lonwa
Hello,

Can you confirm you got a 256GB SD card to work in your 2016?

Thanks

Lonwa
Yes it works great. I have a 256gb card in each slot.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great. Ordering one now.

=)

Lonwa

Quick Reply: FLAC format playback...