S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Front license frame

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license frame

I was not planning on putting a front license plate on the vehicle, but when I removed the frame, it was drilled through the grill.

Did the dealer do this once it arrived or did it come from the factory like this?

Old 07-15-2015, 04:09 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Dealer installed in states that require front plates.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer told me they did not install mine, so it must have been factory or port installed.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are not dealer installed. When placing the order the dealer does select whether there is to be a front plate holder or not. My dealer gave me the option in case I preferred to mount it differently, or not at all.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine had a front plate on it which I removed (like the one in your picture). It left four small screw holes which I plugged with a small round plastic tab. Painted the tabs graphite grey and it looks much better. Need to touch them up occassionally but better than the holes.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

In my state I have to have a front plate (I know some will go without anyhow).

I noticed on an old order form it had a listing for front plate holder.

On my new car I saw the order form didn't have the front licence plate holder and I asked my dealer. He said audi changed from having the front licence plate holder as a 0 dollar option the dealer had to place on the order to making the front licence plate holder ship by default and the dealer select line item for "No Front Plate Holder".

So it seems now the dealers have to select on their order to NOT have the Front Plate Holder included.

Now as to who puts in on ... I don't know.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by cbl1
In my state I have to have a front plate (I know some will go without anyhow).

I noticed on an old order form it had a listing for front plate holder.

On my new car I saw the order form didn't have the front licence plate holder and I asked my dealer. He said audi changed from having the front licence plate holder as a 0 dollar option the dealer had to place on the order to making the front licence plate holder ship by default and the dealer select line item for "No Front Plate Holder".

So it seems now the dealers have to select on their order to NOT have the Front Plate Holder included.

Now as to who puts in on ... I don't know.
It has to be selected on the the order form. Even if you live in a state that requires a plate to be put on the front you can still order a car without the plate holder. If a car is ordered with the plate holder it is installed at port.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chyates
I was not planning on putting a front license plate on the vehicle, but when I removed the frame, it was drilled through the grill.

Did the dealer do this once it arrived or did it come from the factory like this?

Have you considered ordering a German license plate holder with a vanity german plate on it?

...or you could plug the holes.
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2015, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for this info. I'm new to this forum having just received my '16 S6. Same issue. Nasty looking front plate assembly on that good looking grill. I'm in CA which requires front plates, but I've never done it on other cars. Are "plugs" the best answer or does anyone know of a nice custom plate that says "S6" etc? Just hate the front tag look. Looking for options. Thanks
Old 09-06-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The C6 just had inserts, which made a lot of sense. I bought my 05 from IL and just ordered a replacement panel for less than $100 that is designed not to have a plate frame. I sure can't see having a holder on there if you don't need it.

I moved to CA and put the old one on, and then I moved back and took it off...

Last edited by schalliol; 09-06-2015 at 09:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Front license frame