S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Fuel Feed Line "rubbing against firewall"... how worried should I be?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Feed Line "rubbing against firewall"... how worried should I be?

Looking for advice and thoughts on an issue that I had "fixed" during 15K maintenance for my 2014 S6. Took to dealer for routine service and noted 2 issues that I wanted them to look at (1) seat belt auto tension that gets stuck intermittently requiring engine to be turned off before it un-sticks and (2) a gurgle/rubber knocking noise coming from the engine compartment at cold start at idle and low speed. Issue #1 was deemed "operating as designed" as the issue could not be replicated at dealer. Issue #2 was repaired. Here is the exact language on the repair / dealer service invoice:
"Customer states at idle & low speed there is a gurgling/rattle sound from engine area at cold start till engine gets warm. 1100 Maintenance / Diagnostic Repair. Tech test drove and found rubberish knocking noise from the passenger side of vehicle. Tech performed service and inspected vehicle and found no abnormal signs of wear or rubbing. With vehicle running, tech had another tech replicate noise while increasing engine speed. Tech found while inspecting and moving components and lines in engine bay that fuel feed line to passenger side fuel rail is rubbing on fire wall. Tech fabricated an isolation grommet install on fuel line and noise went away at low engine speeds. Tech test drove vehicle and found noise is no longer present."

How concerned should i be given (1) fuel line issues in earlier 2013-14 models that involved a recall campaign and (2) the fix was something fabricated at dealer with no call to AOA to report the issue.

I called AOA today to request a review of the situation and reassurance the repair is expected to resolve and no further risk to performance or safety.

What are your thoughts? Is this related to recall issue? New?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Some time ago there was a fuel line leak issue that generated a recall fix. When I diagnosed my car, I was stunned at the amount of fuel line vibration in the general area you have indicated. I quickly note that part of the aforementioned fix was a much sturdier clamping arrangement that eliminated the 'vibes'. Search this forum for before/after pics to determine if those clamps are relevant.

FWIW, I am ~38,000 miles, and have had no further issues.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrCondor
Some time ago there was a fuel line leak issue that generated a recall fix. When I diagnosed my car, I was stunned at the amount of fuel line vibration in the general area you have indicated. I quickly note that part of the aforementioned fix was a much sturdier clamping arrangement that eliminated the 'vibes'. Search this forum for before/after pics to determine if those clamps are relevant.

FWIW, I am ~38,000 miles, and have had no further issues.
All seems to be OK at this point. Called AOA after the repair to be sure they felt the fabricated bolt was sufficient. No more vibration / noise.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good. You may wish to pop the hood, start the car, and observe the fuel line and harness quickly before the RPMs kick down to normal idle, just to be safe.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

What happened with your seat belt issue? Mine does this as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had the seat belts checked at the dealer. They said belts were "operating as designed". It is so sporadic that I doubt they'll be able to replicate the issue.