S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

google earth maps

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default google earth maps

I just got the new a4 2017 and Im from Toronto.I know the google earth maps are not available but will they ever retrofit them on my car? I know they are available in the U.S as of now.Would be a nice feature in the virtual cockpit
Old 01-09-2017, 05:30 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Google Earth is not available in Canada?
Maybe ask over on the B9 A4 forum.
A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion - AudiWorld Forums
Old 01-09-2017, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Audi is not known for retrofitting features to already sold cars. They just recently started to offer a very limited version of Audi connect in Canada for the new A4 and the Q7, but both have to be ordered with it, no Google integration and no Online Destinations among other missing features if I remember correctly. Already sold cars ordered without the option can't be retrofitted at all, so that should pretty much answer your question. It's not gonna happen based on Audi's history. Why AC wasn't available in Canada for all these years and now only in limited form is not clear.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-09-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, I'm a techie and love cool, new features. But if it makes you feel any better, Google maps in a nav system is not one of them. I was excited for the feature and turned it on immediately. However, I found that it did not add anything to the nav experience and in fact, made it more difficult to assimilate the displayed map to real world streets. So I shut it off. fwiw, I've occasionally turned it back on to try to convince myself that it really is cool. But I quickly shut it off again . . .

Just one person's perspective for you.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
OP, I'm a techie and love cool, new features. But if it makes you feel any better, Google maps in a nav system is not one of them. I was excited for the feature and turned it on immediately. However, I found that it did not add anything to the nav experience and in fact, made it more difficult to assimilate the displayed map to real world streets. So I shut it off. fwiw, I've occasionally turned it back on to try to convince myself that it really is cool. But I quickly shut it off again . . .

Just one person's perspective for you.
It probably is a preference thing. It's Google Earth, not Google Maps, so it's just a satellite view overlayed on top of the map. I used to not like satellite views on my maps, whether that be Google Maps etc. on my computers, map apps on my phone or the nav in my car. However, I've completely come around and now prefer the satellite view. It does actually help seeing the world around me in a more realistic depiction. Also, if you navigate with Google Earth turned on, you'll get a street view of your destination as you approach. I'm not sure if you had a chance to drive a newer Audi with Virtual Cockpit, but that takes it to the next level. It's a beautiful thing on the VC and the details are crisp and sharp. You can see everything around where you drive to orient yourself. The standard maps to me look quite old fashioned and outdated now. Since I've permanently switched to using Google Earth in my car, I use satellite view on all my other map apps as well.