S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

gotchas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default gotchas?

Been a while since I had an Audi (last one was a C5 A6 2.7T with AWE's K04 kit). I've been toying with the prospect of getting a C7 S6 or perhaps a CTS-V (I know....I know....) so I can have something sporty, yet have the ability to put people and/or cargo in the back on those rare occasions that I need it.

Wondering what I should be looking out for on a recent vintage S6. What fails? What are the warning signs? Etc...

Assuming my CANbus VAGcom will be sufficient to check for the most obvious codes.

Thanks in advance!

Best,
Old 05-29-2016, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 14 CPO S6 and the car is truly amazing. You mentioned a CTS-V of which I had a 2012 sedan before getting my S6. Although people compare them one really shouldn't. The V is truly a muscle car beast with rear wheel drive. Interior room and trunk space doesn't compare to the S6. The V sounds faster and 0-60 both cars are somewhat similar. The V's power band from 70+ is ridiculous

The Audi is way more civilized and is a better street sleeper. Most people think it's just a regular A6. Although I miss my V the S6 just feels better overall as a day to day car. Gas mileage is way better than a V especially the range. The V's tank is pretty small limiting your range to @250-300 miles. The fit and finish of the second generation is very good but falls short of Audi. Only get a V with Recaros otherwise the stock seats suck! The Recaros are cooled as well. One thing I miss is the remote start ( have that in my old Impala too). Wish Audi would allow Anerican bound cars to have it. I have no interest in carrying a 2nd key fob.

Issues with the 09-15 CTS-V are the supercharger. GM warranties them now for @ 100k miles. If you're looking at one listen carefully for a marble sound. May need a new supercharger. The rear ends are also prone to whine so you may need one of those. Other than those two items car is pretty bulletproof. I had @45k miles on mine and still had the original brakes. Some of these cars have 250-300k miles on them still running strong. Rear tires are needed as you always want to disengage the traction control and do some burn outs.

I've had my S6 for @6 mos and so far basic maintenance after 9k miles. Keep hearing about how brakes and tires are a could be issue for the S6. Other than that I would advise finding a CPO car. These cars are loaded with technology and after the warranty it gets pricey.

Have fun in the selection process. I may even go back to the new V after I wrack up some miles on my S6. Drive both and see what you think. Any questions feel free to reach out to me. Either car is a win....just a question what you like!

Anthony
Old 05-29-2016, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reply. That's great info!

Have you looked at any of the tunes? Not sure I'd want to drop $1500 for the APR one, but the bump in power and torque looks pretty crazy.

That's the thing with these Audis....once you start modding, it's a pretty slippery slope. heh

Best,
Old 05-30-2016, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a warranty guy so no tune to my S6. I feel with launch control a 0-60 run is less than 4 seconds and a 1/4 mile is in the low 12's. Plenty fast with me without voiding a warranty or throwing codes. My V was 100% stock too and those you can tune much cheaper and get into the 10's in the 1/4 pretty easy.

Both are fun cars... I'm really starting to enjoy the S6 for its civility. There are days I do miss my V though. As I mentioned before either car is a win!!