S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS

OK--So here's the question. The GPS in my 2013 S6 sucks. A new version has just come out. Seems to me this should be a warranty issue not an up-grade that will cost $300-$500. What am I missing here. ( The other night I was looking for a restaurant and was told to turn "right at the light". The restaurant was on my left. At the next corner I was instructed to turn left and then left again at the next two corners. Yup--that would be a circle! Not that much fun with heavy traffic and no lights at some of the corners.)--Any thoughts?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

If Microsoft releases a new version of Windows do you ask your laptop manufacturer to update the OS for you at no charge?
Old 01-26-2015, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There is a known hardware flaw in the MMI 3G+ that causes the nav to lose the GPS signal. When this happens, the nav starts approximating your position, but eventually drifts off your actual position. It's affecting 2013, 2014 and early 2015 model years across the lineup. Audi is replacing the affected head units with redesigned hardware. Mine's been rock solid since the replacement.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
If Microsoft releases a new version of Windows do you ask your laptop manufacturer to update the OS for you at no charge?
Different concept. As a matter of fact Microsoft provides free bug fixes and updates / service packs for many years after initial release. This is not the same as going to a new version of Windows - the Audi equivalent being asking for an upgrade to the MMI used in the next generation A6/S6 from the C7 platform.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by turbonator
Different concept. As a matter of fact Microsoft provides free bug fixes and updates / service packs for many years after initial release.
You're right...MICROSOFT provides those updates. Not Dell, or HP, or Apple, or whomever manufactures your laptop.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not clear. Is this a recall? Does this cost anything. Can you refer me to an Audi bulletin? Occasionally, my GPS goes wild, sending me in the opposite direction.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DD1546
I'm not clear. Is this a recall? Does this cost anything. Can you refer me to an Audi bulletin? Occasionally, my GPS goes wild, sending me in the opposite direction.
No, it's handled by customer complaint. You need to contact your service advisor. I don't have the TSB that goes with this, because I got a replacement unit ahead of the official release, due to the son of the Audi field engineer working at the dealership where I service my car. By now I would think the TSB is officially released. The unit will be replaced under warranty, with new hardware, updated firmware and map data.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks- I will check with Audi customer service. My local service advisor,at Penske and the parts manager did not know(voluntarily) of what you speak. They indicated to me that even if the car were only 90 days old the up-grade cost would be mine. The new version excluding labor is around $375.00. takes about an hour. Seems to me that Audi should treat this the same as any other campaign/recall issue. It is something that does not work properly and a fix is available. --What am I missing??

As a point of interest on the computer side--When I purchased a new computer awhile ago with Windows 8 it was made very clear to me that when a new version is out ,Windows 10, there would be NO charge to make the change. Thank you Microsoft. Has nothing to do with the computer manufacturer.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm not sure where you are located, but AoA knows all about this issue. Back when I was dealing with it, my service advisor created a Pending Service Solution. A PSS is what Audi uses to document a known issue that has a pending solution and to collect the information about all affected customers. Once the solution is available they will contact each affected customer. AoA gave me a call in response to let me know that they are aware of the issue and that I'm in their system, but as I said, the dealership pulled some strings to get me squared away before the solution was officially released. I asked them what they are waiting for, and my SA said they didn't have enough new units to start replacing them. This was back in October of last year.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bobs43
As a point of interest on the computer side--When I purchased a new computer awhile ago with Windows 8 it was made very clear to me that when a new version is out ,Windows 10, there would be NO charge to make the change. Thank you Microsoft. Has nothing to do with the computer manufacturer.
Originally Posted by nobbyv
You're right...MICROSOFT provides those updates. Not Dell, or HP, or Apple, or whomever manufactures your laptop.
Allow me to quote myself (as I find myself to be the best source of things I've said).

Quick Reply: GPS