S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

GPS

Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently located in Scottsdale,AZ. I purchased the car new in the Seattle,Wa area. Both dealers have been great with most issues. I will check with the one in Scottsdale (Penske) tomorrow and with AOA.-Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Talked to AOA yesterday and was advised to go to the dealer, explain the problem with the GPS, and they would check the antenna and other components. If they find an issue they will pretty much replace the whole set-up including up-grading the GPS itself. If no problem is found and I just want a newer version of the GPS the expense would be mine. They were aware of "some issues" and hinted there may be a PSS in the workings--somewhere. Not real clear on that part. AOA indicated they would advise the dealer as well so they would know if the issue when I came in with the car. We shall see.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

I think there are two different things being discussed here. One is a map/POI update (sourced by NavTeq data) and the other is a potential problem with the individual's nav hardware and/or software system. The former has always been at a cost to the consumer and the latter would be addressed by Audi (assuming it's reproducible and within the warranty period).

Occasionally, I get an incorrect destination location and resulting misdirection from the nav but this is almost always due to an inaccuracy of the NavTeq provided mapping data rather than a problem of the car's system. Missing new roads and POIs fall under the same type of issue. Audi and other nav systems won't be held to resolve that other than selling you a map update (which may or may not correct that misplaced or missing location). My Garmins exhibited the same failing every now and then although the cost to update was significantly less expensive (a different discussion). A consistent loss of GPS signal, one which BTW I've never experienced, is a different issue as previously described.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I think there are two different things being discussed here. One is a map/POI update (sourced by NavTeq data) and the other is a potential problem with the individual's nav hardware and/or software system. The former has always been at a cost to the consumer and the latter would be addressed by Audi (assuming it's reproducible and within the warranty period).

Occasionally, I get an incorrect destination location and resulting misdirection from the nav but this is almost always due to an inaccuracy of the NavTeq provided mapping data rather than a problem of the car's system. Missing new roads and POIs fall under the same type of issue. Audi and other nav systems won't be held to resolve that other than selling you a map update (which may or may not correct that misplaced or missing location). My Garmins exhibited the same failing every now and then although the cost to update was significantly less expensive (a different discussion). A consistent loss of GPS signal, one which BTW I've never experienced, is a different issue as previously described.
Absolutely. I hope OP's issue is indeed the hardware issue described by superswiss (though I suspect it is not). If this is indeed the issue, Audi should replace the faulty unit.

If it is indeed an issue with out of date NavTeq mapping, as I said, this is NOT an issue for Audi, but for NavTeq. As such, I would not expect Audi to update this at no charge, any more than I would expect Dell to send me Windows 10 next month just because I bought their laptop.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Occasionally, I get an incorrect destination location and resulting misdirection from the nav but this is almost always due to an inaccuracy of the NavTeq provided mapping data rather than a problem of the car's system. Missing new roads and POIs fall under the same type of issue. Audi and other nav systems won't be held to resolve that other than selling you a map update (which may or may not correct that misplaced or missing location). My Garmins exhibited the same failing every now and then although the cost to update was significantly less expensive (a different discussion).
Yup. I stopped buying the map upgrades for my Infiniti a couple years ago because for every thing they fixed they broke something else. I actually reverted back to a previous year (DVD-based system) because the newest I had bought was so bad.

Now I just use Waze on my phone.

Originally Posted by nobbyv
I would not expect Audi to update this at no charge, any more than I would expect Dell to send me Windows 10 next month just because I bought their laptop.
That's actually a really bad example because the Windows 10 upgrade is free for Windows 7 & 8 users...
Old 01-31-2015, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
That's actually a really bad example because the Windows 10 upgrade is free for Windows 7 & 8 users...
I am not sure how many more times I can repeat myself. Windows updates come from FROM MICROSOFT, not Dell, HP or Apple. Whether these updates are free or not is at Microsoft's discretion. Just as a software update to the NavTeq software is at NavTeq's discretion, NOT Audi.

Last edited by nobbyv; 01-31-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Also, for the record, this is all a moot point: I checked not too long ago, and the latest North America NavTeq update for the 3G MMI is 2013.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am not sure how many more times I can repeat myself. Windows updates come from FROM MICROSOFT, not Dell, HP or Apple. Whether these updates are free or not is at Microsoft's discretion. Just as a software update to the NavTeq software is at NavTeq's discretion, NOT Audi.
Sorry, but that last part is not entirely accurate.

For most people, all they know is that they bought a Dell and once Windows 10 comes out their computer is going to tell them that an update is available and that they don't have to pay for it. Most manufacturers, Dell included, will provide Windows 10 support on any machines still eligible for software support, even if that machine didn't ship with Windows 10, further blurring the line.

You're right that it's Microsoft's decision to deliver the update at no charge, but they have that ability because post-launch delivery of patches and upgrades is Microsoft's responsibility, whether the user knows it or not.

In the case of vehicles, there is no transfer of post-sale support responsibility. NavTeq can give the update to Audi for free if they want but it is up to Audi to decide whether or not they will charge the end user for the software, the "labor" to install, or whether they'll even offer the upgrade in the first place. The last is a similar situation to how there are so many Android phones stuck on old versions of the OS when the hardware is perfectly capable of running something newer; Google gives the code away for free but the manufacturer is simply unwilling to put in the effort of creating an upgrade, paid or otherwise.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Let me try to chime in. This business is very nuanced. Your example doesn't apply to the MMI. A laptop/PC is a general purpose computing device. When you buy a Dell Windows laptop for example, you buy hardware and software drivers from Dell, but you buy an OEM Windows license from Microsoft. This is the same Windows you can buy at a retail store, except the license is different. With an OEM license, it is the PC vendor who has to provide support for it, but with a retail license you call Microsoft if you have any issues. This is reflected in the price difference between the two licenses. However, in both cases as part of the license agreement you enter with Microsoft, not Dell, Microsoft agrees to provide security updates, feature updates for a certain amount of time and Microsoft may even provide a free upgrade to the next major version, as they are doing with Windows 10.

The MMI on the other hand is a special purpose embedded system or also called a computing appliance. These kinds of systems start with a highly customized embedded operating system, QNX in case of the MMI, and on top of it they run special purpose software. You buy the entire thing as is from the vendor. You don't buy a QNX license from Blackberry, or a data license for the map data from HERE (Nokia bought NavTeq and renamed it to HERE). So as a consequence, you can't go to Blackberry and update the version of QNX that runs on the MMI or you can't go to HERE and get new map data. Audi through its supplier, I believe Bosch actually develops and builds the MMI, bought all these licenses, so any and all updates will come through Audi and it is up to Audi to decide whether to provide an update in the first place and whether to charge for it, because there is work involved for them to incorporate their customizations etc.

This business comes down to licenses as none of us ever owns software. We only ever own a license to use it.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-31-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Also, for the record, this is all a moot point: I checked not too long ago, and the latest North America NavTeq update for the 3G MMI is 2013.
A new version came out a few weeks ago. That is the one I referred to earlier and the cost is $375 plus installation ( Depending on the installer/dealer it may get put in for no charge).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GPS