S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Has the weight been reduced in the 2016 S6??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has the weight been reduced in the 2016 S6??

I have been wondering about this ever since reading mentions of weight reduction in the European Press announcements of the new 2016 S6. I just took a quick look at the Audi website and new configurator for the S6 but was not able to find the S6 weight in my quick look but did see a note mentioning reducing weight. Curious if anyone else has wondered about this and knows the scoop.

A related question is how does the EPA mileage compare for the 2016 as compared to the 2015? I know they are adding the auto start-stop (which I hate) but it is supposed to be defeatable.

Will be interested to hear what others have found in their research.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NVJeff
I have been wondering about this ever since reading mentions of weight reduction in the European Press announcements of the new 2016 S6. I just took a quick look at the Audi website and new configurator for the S6 but was not able to find the S6 weight in my quick look but did see a note mentioning reducing weight. Curious if anyone else has wondered about this and knows the scoop.

A related question is how does the EPA mileage compare for the 2016 as compared to the 2015? I know they are adding the auto start-stop (which I hate) but it is supposed to be defeatable.

Will be interested to hear what others have found in their research.
The weight is up there under Technical Specifications. It's 4486lbs.

No EPA numbers yet, it actually says to go to fueleconomy.gov.

I don't think the S6 actually gets Start/Stop in the US.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
The weight is up there under Technical Specifications. It's 4486lbs.

No EPA numbers yet, it actually says to go to fueleconomy.gov.

I don't think the S6 actually gets Start/Stop in the US.
I assumed it would get start-stop, but I think you're right. Re-reading the Audi PR, it specifically mentions it only for the A6/A7:

2016 Audi A6 and A7 model lines make U.S. debut at Los Angeles Auto Show | Audi USA
Old 03-05-2015, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by amelen
I assumed it would get start-stop, but I think you're right. Re-reading the Audi PR, it specifically mentions it only for the A6/A7:

2016 Audi A6 and A7 model lines make U.S. debut at Los Angeles Auto Show | Audi USA
They get it in Europe; you can see the button in the pic below. The US press releases haven't mentioned it for the S6 though.

Photo

There's still a lot we don't know about the 2016 models so I could be wrong. Another great example is the MMI screen. Most reviews have called it an 8-inch screen, Audi Euro PR said 8-inch, and Audi USA PR said the new MIB-2 system was higher resolution. Both the U.S. and European sites still report 7-inch though and the photos on audiusa.com show two different screens, one even smaller than the current model.

Last edited by jasonlitka; 03-05-2015 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I wouldnt think there would be any weight reductions, its just a facelift, not a full ground up change.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I wouldnt think there would be any weight reductions, its just a facelift, not a full ground up change.
I think most of the "weight reduction" mentioned in that PR was due to the 1.8L engine in Europe, plus stripping out some previously standard equipment.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

They get it in Europe; you can see the button in the pic below. The US press releases haven't mentioned it for the S6 though.

Photo

There's still a lot we don't know about the 2016 models so I could be wrong. Another great example is the MMI screen. Most reviews have called it an 8-inch screen, Audi Euro PR said 8-inch, and Audi USA PR said the new MIB-2 system was higher resolution. Both the U.S. and European sites still report 7-inch though and the photos on audiusa.com show two different screens, one even smaller than the current model.
Just noticed that the order guide does say:

"Start/Stop system with energy recuperation". Good point on the screen - I assume it would be the 8-inch one but can't find anything to confirm that.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just noticed that the order guide does say:

"Start/Stop system with energy recuperation". Good point on the screen - I assume it would be the 8-inch one but can't find anything to confirm that.
For the S6? I only see that line on the A6 models.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

For the S6? I only see that line on the A6 models.
http://www.alexmelen.com/2016AudiOrderGuide.pdf
"Start/Stop system with energy recuperation"

http://www.alexmelen.com/2016AudiOrderGuide3.pdf
"Energy recuperation without stop-start"

I guess they changed their mind?
Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

http://www.alexmelen.com/2016AudiOrderGuide.pdf
"Start/Stop system with energy recuperation"

http://www.alexmelen.com/2016AudiOrderGuide3.pdf
"Energy recuperation without stop-start"

I guess they changed their mind?
Yup. Too bad too. I like the Start/Stop in my wife's BMW. Really does save fuel in a lot of situations.

Quick Reply: Has the weight been reduced in the 2016 S6??