S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

How does the S6 ride comfort compare to the A6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the S6 ride comfort compare to the A6?

Hi there S6ers,

I'm curious how the ride quality/comfort of the S6 compares to the A6, especially on poorly maintained side streets with choppy pavement like the ones I have to navigate everyday.

On comfort mode, does the air suspension of the S6 provide a smoother more isolated ride than an A6 with standard (non-sport) suspension? About the same? Or is the S6 more firm overall than the standard suspension A6?
Old 08-12-2015, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had some A6 loaners over time and I'm always surprised at how well more controlled the S6 suspension is (I'm in AUTO most of the time). Yes it's more firm than the A6 but without being harsh.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In comfort I'd say that it's slightly firmer but more forgiving on larger bumps.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

S6 and A6, in my view, can't really be compared as similar cars. Aside from exterior form, they are not the same car at all. Different engine. Different transmission. Air suspension.

When I get an A6 loaner car, I can't believe that the same company that makes my S6 built the A6. But, it does make me that much happier to get my car back at the end.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
S6 and A6, in my view, can't really be compared as similar cars. Aside from exterior form, they are not the same car at all. Different engine. Different transmission. Air suspension.

When I get an A6 loaner car, I can't believe that the same company that makes my S6 built the A6. But, it does make me that much happier to get my car back at the end.
Not sure I understand "can't be compared as similar cars". I'm not claiming they are similar. I'm just interested in a comparison.

Let me put it this way. If you were paid $10,000,000 to drive either an S6 or an A6 over 10,000 miles of busted up pavement, which would you pick (and you have to give the car back at the end)?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pick S6

I would pick the S6 with modest tire pressures set in "comfort" mode which raises the car about an inch. There is much less rebound than in A6 and movements are promptly damped. Where do I get my check?

Originally Posted by EasyRider
Not sure I understand "can't be compared as similar cars". I'm not claiming they are similar. I'm just interested in a comparison.

Let me put it this way. If you were paid $10,000,000 to drive either an S6 or an A6 over 10,000 miles of busted up pavement, which would you pick (and you have to give the car back at the end)?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DD1546
I would pick the S6 with modest tire pressures set in "comfort" mode which raises the car about an inch. There is much less rebound than in A6 and movements are promptly damped. Where do I get my check?
Actually, both Auto and Comfort are at the same height level, only when switching to Dynamic does it lower 20mm. At a certain speed however(I forget but its around 62mph or something) no matter what setting you have it in, it lowers to the Dynamic height.

That being said, I think Auto is the best compromise. Comfort I have found has too much rebound and acts funny on really bumpy roads. However, I leave mine in Dynamic all the time, have it lowered and the car doesnt budge when I go over speed bumps at 40mph. Its one of the smoothest, most comfortable cars Ive been in.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default In NJ

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Actually, both Auto and Comfort are at the same height level, only when switching to Dynamic does it lower 20mm. At a certain speed however(I forget but its around 62mph or something) no matter what setting you have it in, it lowers to the Dynamic height.

That being said, I think Auto is the best compromise. Comfort I have found has too much rebound and acts funny on really bumpy roads. However, I leave mine in Dynamic all the time, have it lowered and the car doesnt budge when I go over speed bumps at 40mph. Its one of the smoothest, most comfortable cars Ive been in.
Your NJ and my NJ but be in different dimensions. I'm more north. I use the individual settings set to dynamic except the tranny and throttle, which are harsh in traffic. How many wheels have you bent? Four here - the roads are awful. Stop the car and go from comfort to dynamic and you will see it lower. Vice-versa and it raises. Comfort is a plusher ride, dynamic more controlled - just as Audi designed it. Check it out.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DD1546
Your NJ and my NJ but be in different dimensions. I'm more north. I use the individual settings set to dynamic except the tranny and throttle, which are harsh in traffic. How many wheels have you bent? Four here - the roads are awful. Stop the car and go from comfort to dynamic and you will see it lower. Vice-versa and it raises. Comfort is a plusher ride, dynamic more controlled - just as Audi designed it. Check it out.
I use Dynamic for everything and D for transmission(no individual). This is my fourth S6 I know how these cars work(plus I sell them). I have awful roads here too and I have only bent my aftermarket wheels, no OEM wheels. The air suspension soaks up way more than any springer suspension would. I also try to avoid potholes instead of driving into them.

I know how the Drive Select works. Auto and Comfort raise the car to the same exact levels. Have you tried Auto or only Comfort?
Old 08-13-2015, 05:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

on a related ride height topic, i understand there is a way to temporaril raise to maximize ride height for steep driveways, chin-ripper parking lot curbs, etc? Do I correctly understand this independent of the categorical Comfort-Auto-Dynamic-Individual settings, and if so where do I find it in the MMI Menu Maze? This is going to be mission-critical the day I drive it home in 2-3 weeks, and having sat thru MMI ground school with the rep who delivered my brother's S4, I'm not too confident i'm gonna get a good answer there.

Quick Reply: How does the S6 ride comfort compare to the A6?