S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit

Hello everyone. I saw a picture of the 2014 Black optic kit on a black S6, and it looks amazingly bad-***. Below is a picture.

I had a chat with my local dealer about the parts to convert my car to this look, and found out that Audi original parts (alone) cost $7700 all in -- (Wheels, grill, black window trim, etc.)

They recommended I look online for replica parts and have found a few:

1) Hartman makes the wheels for 70% less.

2) Ebay has grill at http://www.ebay.com/itm/S6-Front-Genuine-Sport-Gloss-BlackGrille-2011-2013up-Audi-A6-C7-S6-RS6-SFG-Grill-/190885912438?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c71afdf76&vxp=mtr
3) Other components can be had at OEMPlus for less.

Questions: Are these replica parts reputable? The grill? The wheels from hartman? Anyone try these parts out?

Of course, my car looks great the way it is, but the bad-***'ness of the Black Optic package is very desirable. Call it a mid life crisis, but I kinda want it... ;-)
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Hello everyone. I saw a picture of the 2014 Black optic kit on a black S6, and it looks amazingly bad-***. Below is a picture.

I had a chat with my local dealer about the parts to convert my car to this look, and found out that Audi original parts (alone) cost $7700 all in -- (Wheels, grill, black window trim, etc.)

They recommended I look online for replica parts and have found a few:

1) Hartman makes the wheels for 70% less.

2) Ebay has grill at S6 Front Genuine Sport Gloss Blackgrille 2011 2013UP Audi A6 C7 S6 RS6 SFG Grill | eBay

3) Other components can be had at OEMPlus for less.

Questions: Are these replica parts reputable? The grill? The wheels from hartman? Anyone try these parts out?

Of course, my car looks great the way it is, but the bad-***'ness of the Black Optic package is very desirable. Call it a mid life crisis, but I kinda want it... ;-)
Can the parts be bought separately?? Just want the grill and window trim. Don't care for the wheels. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Chrome4174
Can the parts be bought separately?? Just want the grill and window trim. Don't care for the wheels. Thanks.
I meant from dealer.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone could get me the part numbers, I could source the real OEM parts much cheaper. The wheels are $2700 plus $1000 for tires. That's $3700. I don't see window trim and a grill being another $4000.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a general FYI:

On Sunday I was at my dealer shopping for my car, and they had a 2014 A6 in Daytona Gray with Black Optics.

The gloss black trim looks outstanding!

The wheels look absolutely horrible, IMO. They have a two-toned paint color scheme, and looked very cheap. Kind of like wheels you might find at one of those "Rent-2-Own" wheel shops in the ghetto.
To be fair, they might look better on an S6 with the larger brakes. The A6 brakes looked too small and dinky for those 20" Ti Rotor wheels. That might have detracted from the overall look.

I would be very interested in ordering the grill and/or window trim parts only from this package. But I will keep the S6 20" 5 spoke wheels, thank you very much.

I am still of the opinion that the front grill will look better if the chrome frame is painted to match the body color of the car, rather than always black. I'm very possibly going to have my customs shop paint my trim black around the windows, and Ibis White on the grill frame piece.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 08-22-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Just a general FYI:

On Sunday I was at my dealer shopping for my car, and they had a 2014 A6 in Daytona Gray with Black Optics.

The wheels look absolutely horrible, IMO. They have a two-toned paint color scheme, and looked very cheap. Kind of like wheels you might find at one of those "Rent-2-Own" wheel shops in the ghetto.
To be fair, they might look better on an S6 with the larger brakes. The A6 brakes looked too small and dinky for those 20" Ti Rotor wheels. That might have detracted from the overall look.

I would be very interested in ordering the grill and/or window trim parts only from this package. But I will keep the S6 20" 5 spoke wheels, thank you very much.

I am still of the opinion that the front grill will look better if the chrome frame is painted to match the body color of the car, rather than always black. I'm very possibly going to have my customs shop paint my trim black around the windows, and Ibis White on the grill frame piece.
Absolutely agree about the wheels. They just don't look like they belong on a car like that.

That is an interesting idea about the grille. Just thinking about it though I think it could look really good.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO that grille would look fantastic on an Ibis white car like mine. I asked the ebay seller if he has it with the camera mount and the hole for the IR camera. Will report. I'll take a shot at it for the low cost of entry. I've had two dealers quote me between $950 to $1200 for the black optics S6 grille. That's a lot, I also have a quote to have all the edge ion the grille wrapped in gloss black for $150 and the chrome window trim for $135.00. I'm not a fan of the grey wheels. I'll eventually upgrade to 20" HRE wheels.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I didnt even think about this. Let me check with my parts guy and see how much just the grill would cost.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S6Express
IMO that grille would look fantastic on an Ibis white car like mine. I asked the ebay seller if he has it with the camera mount and the hole for the IR camera. Will report. I'll take a shot at it for the low cost of entry. I've had two dealers quote me between $950 to $1200 for the black optics S6 grille. That's a lot, I also have a quote to have all the edge ion the grille wrapped in gloss black for $150 and the chrome window trim for $135.00. I'm not a fan of the grey wheels. I'll eventually upgrade to 20" HRE wheels.
Thanks. What exactly is "wrapping the grill in gloss black"? What does that consist of?

Very in-expensive route...
Old 08-22-2013, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Just a general FYI:

Are you concerned about paint adhesion to the chrome? Given the placement of the window trip surround, worries that hands will make contact with the trip, chip the paint.

Thoughts?

Quick Reply: HyperS4 and others: Grill options for Black Optic Retrofit