S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Interior Lighting-colors?

Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Lighting-colors?

When I brought my new S6 home I was looking to see where you adjust the interior lightings colors. I was disappointed to see they only have white and you can just adjust the brightness. Really? On a 80K car? Now I see where the 2017 Q7 has this feature. I had it on my 30K MINI not on the S6 Audi? Hopefully this might only require a software update to add this feature. It is great to be able to set the mood in the car. I believe the lighting could be the same as I believe the color change in the LEDs is the amount of current supplied determines the color. Anybody know anything on this subject?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

The C8 will have it in 2018, the C7 is just too old :-) Same is true for the MMI, which is nice but still last generation.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess I will be trading in a couple of years. Good reason to do a Euro delivery.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Island Maser
I believe the lighting could be the same as I believe the color change in the LEDs is the amount of current supplied determines the color. Anybody know anything on this subject?
If you have RGB (red, green, blue) LED's, you can change color by varying the current supplied to the three anode legs. If the LED has two legs, you're stuck with whatever color it is.

It might be possible to install RGB's and control them from a remote location.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just purchased 2017 Audi A4 - I was also under the impression that I could change the color of the ambient lighting. Is this a setting that I am not finding correctly? Does anyone know how this could potentially be changed/added for not too much cost and work?
Old 04-25-2016, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottyTB
Just purchased 2017 Audi A4 - I was also under the impression that I could change the color of the ambient lighting. Is this a setting that I am not finding correctly? Does anyone know how this could potentially be changed/added for not too much cost and work?
You will get a better response in the B9 (platform) A4 rather than here in the C7 platform S6 forum as to whether you can easily change this.

The original production specifications (ie, Germany) for the B9 A4 have 3 levels of interior lighting, which translate to:
  • Base lighting - overhead light, map lights front and rear
  • Light pack option - LED lights in exterior and interior door handles, footwells, drink holders, around the console, etc.
  • Ambient lighting option - as per the Light Pack above, with the added ability to change colour
The cars being delivered to the US have the Light Pack as base. The Prestige packaged option version has the Ambient lighting option included in that pack.

The US website describes the system in the Premium and Premium Plus versions as
ambient LED interior lighting
and the system in the Prestige as
ambient LED interior lighting plus package
I can see why you were confused - this is a lousy description / translation.

I assume you don't have a Prestige version, and so can't find any settings in MMI.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for the quick response. That is correct. The dealer couldn't locate a prestige and told me it was in the premium plus package. I guess they were mistaken. Bummer. Any idea how difficult it would be to add this? I mean anything is possible.. but, how difficult? and any idea where to start?
Old 04-25-2016, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

The above post on the controller and wiring is correct. White will be 2 wires - power and data for white.

If its RGB(Red Green Blue) or RGBAW (Red Green Blue Amber White) then you will have more wiring to the controller.

Not sure of the system that Audi use to control the colours but for them the implementation of colour should not be difficult.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The white is probably the best one to have, the others look a bit insipid, although I do like the contrast white headlining/Ruby below the door pull.