S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

iPod or SD card for music?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Delurker
That used to be the case with iTunes-purchased music, but you can copy the files around and play as you like now. I've moved music between iTunes libraries and I was just playing music I bought on iTunes from an SD card on my S6. Played 256K AAC songs fine, but ALAC (800-1100K) files were all reported as "damaged".
That's interesting. I live in Canada so I am wondering if what you said is true for the Canadian market. I'll try it out.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

There is no question that the iPod is the better media storage device.

You can store higher quality files on an iPod, and furthermore the iPod supports gapless playback.

End of story.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
There is no question that the iPod is the better media storage device.

You can store higher quality files on an iPod, and furthermore the iPod supports gapless playback.

End of story.
I always thought the drawback to using an iPod is that it get converted to analogue internally, then back to digital within MMI. With an SD card, you stay in the digital domain until final A/D conversion at the amp stage. Are you saying the difference is negligible?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that lossless tracks converted to analog by the iPod's DAC and back to digital in the MMI have a better chance of sounding good than mp3's that stay digital. Nothing is going to put back the data lost in lossy compression. Plus you get gapless playback with the iPod.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
I always thought the drawback to using an iPod is that it get converted to analogue internally, then back to digital within MMI. With an SD card, you stay in the digital domain until final A/D conversion at the amp stage. Are you saying the difference is negligible?
Yup.

The amount of quality lost by converting a track to a lossy format such as MP3 is far, far greater than the loss that occurs in a D/A conversion.

More importantly for me, the SD card slot and jukebox do not support Gapless Playback. So the iPod/iPhone is also a better solution because they do.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vigilan388
Buy a hard drive and get the Audi MMI to USB connector. I've had a 250 gig portable HDD in my S5 and now S6 for about 4.5 years. It works great and is very simple to navigate while driving.
I know this is an old thread but the lack of shuffle with SD Cards in my 2017 SQ5 is driving me nuts. Particularly when it works fine in my 2011 Q5.

Do you have a link to a good cable? I looked at one on Amazon buy reviews were mixed. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by James Flood III
I know this is an old thread but the lack of shuffle with SD Cards in my 2017 SQ5 is driving me nuts. Particularly when it works fine in my 2011 Q5.

Do you have a link to a good cable? I looked at one on Amazon buy reviews were mixed. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, I can't find where I got the cable from. It wasn't from Amazon, based off of my order history. I am 90% sure it was an official Audi product thought, not a 3rd party brand.

It might be this one, but I can't confirm. https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...F0051510Q.html
Old 02-10-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is the hard drive easier to navigate than a large SSD card (my choice)?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by vigilan388
Unfortunately, I can't find where I got the cable from. It wasn't from Amazon, based off of my order history. I am 90% sure it was an official Audi product thought, not a 3rd party brand.

It might be this one, but I can't confirm. https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...F0051510Q.html
Thanks. So are you able to shuffle tracks from the hard drive?
Old 02-13-2017, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by James Flood III
Thanks. So are you able to shuffle tracks from the hard drive?
You can only shuffle within a single directory. Normally, that means you can only shuffle on a single album.

What I've done is create a folder on my hard drive called "All". This then has a copy of every single MP3 in my library, all pasted into one giant single folder. It means twice the storage, but not really a factory on a large hard drive. I then shuffle all using the MMI's normal shuffle feature. It works well and loads fairly quickly.

I still don't know why they couldn't have programmed in an all-folder shuffle like my S5 had. What is annoying when the S6 finds a song I like and I want to play that album, I need to manually back out of the folder and navigate to that artist and album.

Quick Reply: iPod or SD card for music?