S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Just did resonator delete / replace with X Pipe!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Just did resonator delete / replace with X Pipe!

2016 S6 w/ Audi Sport exhaust (factory black tipped one). Picked up the car last week, great sound but just wanted a tad more. Just got back from the muffler shop, they did a factory look job; removed the rear resonator and replaced with an X pipe.

The car sounds absolutely phenomenal !!!!! Of course, this is personal opinion and this is by no means comparable to an Akropovic (or really any full exhaust) system. The best way to describe it is circa 20-25% louder, and here's the cool part, an awesome exotic tone. It really makes this car sound beautiful, best I can describe is it has more of a Lamborghini flare to it. If any of you are debating doing it, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have always loved cars with a good sound, after this I have absolutely zero interest in a true full exhaust. Again, my personal opinion and the AWE etc.. systems I've heard do sound amazing. For some, this may be a cheap ($250) option or an interim option until they decide if they want to upgrade to a true system.

Remember, you must do the x (or H i suppose) pipe as the valve shuts occasionally and the left exhaust would have nowhere to go. If there is interest I can post videos, though I have seen some before on here and AZ and it sounds 1000% better in person. And, for those wondering, I didn't notice an ounce of drone. The car is still silent at cruising and much more mellow if you do "comfort" through the MMI.

Happy Friday All!
Old 05-13-2016, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6er
2016 S6 w/ Audi Sport exhaust (factory black tipped one). Picked up the car last week, great sound but just wanted a tad more. Just got back from the muffler shop, they did a factory look job; removed the rear resonator and replaced with an X pipe.

The car sounds absolutely phenomenal !!!!! Of course, this is personal opinion and this is by no means comparable to an Akropovic (or really any full exhaust) system. The best way to describe it is circa 20-25% louder, and here's the cool part, an awesome exotic tone. It really makes this car sound beautiful, best I can describe is it has more of a Lamborghini flare to it. If any of you are debating doing it, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I have always loved cars with a good sound, after this I have absolutely zero interest in a true full exhaust. Again, my personal opinion and the AWE etc.. systems I've heard do sound amazing. For some, this may be a cheap ($250) option or an interim option until they decide if they want to upgrade to a true system.

Remember, you must do the x (or H i suppose) pipe as the valve shuts occasionally and the left exhaust would have nowhere to go. If there is interest I can post videos, though I have seen some before on here and AZ and it sounds 1000% better in person. And, for those wondering, I didn't notice an ounce of drone. The car is still silent at cruising and much more mellow if you do "comfort" through the MMI.

Happy Friday All!

Great post can you share video perhaps?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by A6er

Happy Friday All!
Excellent, was thinking of taking this approach as well. Current 3.0 S5 with AWE touring is perfect for that engine, but feel it's going to be a bit too aggressive for what I want on the new S6 coming. Plus, not sure I want to fork out the cash again on a full system, would rather put it into go-faster goodies and live with a slightly subdued sport exhaust that looks stock. Appreciate the report. Any chance you can upload a short vid w/sound?
Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You bet ! I will do an outside, startup and inside driving video. After driving it home, I am even more in love with it. The grunts upon downshift are exacerbated from stock, they sound incredible. My wife, who is very very car saavy, said it sounded amazing, like a "slightly de-tuned Gallardo but with a little more rumble", if that makes any sense. Basically, if a Gallardo and a Mustang V8 had an exhaust child, that's what it sounds like.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, now I'm REALLY excited... lol.
Old 05-17-2016, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interested in the vids!! Sounds like an awesome mod.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Ok I just made my appointment for Saturday!!!!!
Old 05-19-2016, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any progress on those vids? Chomping at the bit to hear that that setup!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Any progress on those vids? Chomping at the bit to hear that that setup!
I'm getting mine done Saturday morning so if OP doesn't post some clips up, I'll do it for you.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
I'm getting mine done Saturday morning so if OP doesn't post some clips up, I'll do it for you.
Sweet, either way would love to hear the results from either of you. Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: Just did resonator delete / replace with X Pipe!