S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Lemon Law for Audi S6 (for Wheels)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon Law for Audi S6 (for Wheels)

My Audi S6 is at the dealer for the 3rd time in 17,500 miles (15 months) to have all four wheels straightened. I'm thinking of making a demand under the lemon law of NJ. (http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/New...f-Brochure.pdf)

Cost has been covered so far by wheel/tire insurance, but this is getting ridiculous. The main issue is once they get out of round you get a vibration/oscillation at highway speeds, which is 80% of my driving. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a cap on the wheel insurance and I have 27,500 miles to go before the lease is up (will I have to get them straightened four more times?) Of course there is also the hassle of brining the car into the dealer, and the fact that the process of getting approval from the insurance provider and then scheduling the "wheel guy" is usually a multi-day affair.

Does anybody have any experience with this approach with Audi? I am not looking to get out of the car but I think Audi should replace these wheels with alternatives that are more resilient or better engineered.

FYI - yes, I know NJ roads are not great but this is beyond expectations even for a big car with 20" rims.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Are you saying that you're bending your wheels, or that the tires/wheels are going out of balance?
Old 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Are you saying that you're bending your wheels, or that the tires/wheels are going out of balance?
Wheels are bending to where there is a very noticeable wobble when on the lift idling
Old 07-29-2016, 06:06 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I know some of my balance problem is these garbage P-zeros, but unfortunately the OE 20" are notoriously bendy. I've replaced 1 and had 1 straightened and I think another is still bent. (They should make them forged or at least offer a forged option).
Let us know how you make out. I'm contemplating abandoning altogether and going aftermarket. Problem is I actually like the (somewhat) unique look of the stock 20".
Old 07-29-2016, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Our 2014 S4 with 19" wheels...

… three bent and replaced so far in 24,000 miles. The canyons are cruel. We demanded ultralow profile tires and the manufacturers delivered… they are so fragile.

Sorry you are having those troubles. It is a big heavy car on very low profile sidewalls

Eric
Old 07-30-2016, 01:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eric strauss
… three bent and replaced so far in 24,000 miles. The canyons are cruel. We demanded ultralow profile tires and the manufacturers delivered… they are so fragile.

Sorry you are having those troubles. It is a big heavy car on very low profile sidewalls

Eric
My colleague with a 911 turbo s and a Panamera Turbo before that doesn't have the same issues - I suspect because those wheels are forged (those cars are twice as expensive though)

I suppose I could go aftermarket forged but since I lease the car that isn't economical (unless I intend to buy at end of lease)
Old 07-30-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

If you live in an area like the Northeast where there are potholes, bent wheels are going to happen with low profile tires. Even with 19" wheels, living in New England I have straightened 5 wheels over four years of ownership. It's unavoidable. Lemon laws won't help you here.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No question, forged is the way to go...

Originally Posted by djsiry
My colleague with a 911 turbo s and a Panamera Turbo before that doesn't have the same issues - I suspect because those wheels are forged (those cars are twice as expensive though)

I suppose I could go aftermarket forged but since I lease the car that isn't economical (unless I intend to buy at end of lease)
Strong as and anvil, but as you point out, good ones, such as HRE, begin at over $1000/wheel. Add more for three piece construction that makes repair easy.

They are beautiful…

Eric
Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you live in an area like the Northeast where there are potholes, bent wheels are going to happen with low profile tires. Even with 19" wheels, living in New England I have straightened 5 wheels over four years of ownership. It's unavoidable. Lemon laws won't help you here.
I accept that, but 12 wheels bent in 16 months is way crazy...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

Are you using the PSIs as stated in the manual? If you are using the higher PSIs from the door label, that increases sidewall stiffness and greater risk of bent wheels. The door label is for max load with driver, four passengers and a full trunk.

Quick Reply: Lemon Law for Audi S6 (for Wheels)