S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Moving from BMW 550x

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from BMW 550x

Anyone move from an f10 to an s6? Curious to get your thoughts on the differences, both good and bad.

Also, what kinds of discounts off MSRP are people seeing?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My wife had a Dinan 5.0 X6, different body I know but same engine.
My feedback for what its worth:

transmission - BMW was smoother but also not as responsive and the Audi can be
sport mode/dynamic mode - Audi, BMW responded only a little different ADS changes like 7 things, BMW just changed shift points [or so it felt]
Wheel response/steering - BMW was more precise, Audi has a little slop but I actually like
seats; comfort - BMW, I had the comfort seats that pivoted in the center of the back...though i do fit right in to Audi's
seats; looks - Audi all the way
trim - Audi for choice and looks
intuitive infotainment - Audi hands down
instrument cluster - Audi [BMW still looks like its off the Death Star]
Parking cameras - Audi; you have top down and reverse on the same screen and you can switch to front, sides or rears...AAAnd it will automatically show the front or rear depending on what you're close to hitting
Coding out crap/chimes/messages you don't want - Audi Audi Audi
factory stereo - BMW, I have the Bose in the S6 and its nothing special

My wife now has a CLS, she loves the look of the f10 but can't stand how "unintuitive" the systems were

ACNA member for 3 months prior = 6% off MSRP [lifetime membership = instant 6%] conquest cash is available on top of ACNA discount = $1,000

Name:  P1020150.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  78.7 KB

Last edited by DNGRTOM; 05-07-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DNGRTOM
ACNA member for 3 months prior = 6% off MSRP [lifetime membership = instant 6%] conquest cash is available on top of ACNA discount = $1,000
Conquest is $1,500 on an S6!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DNGRTOM
factory stereo - BMW, I have the Bose in the S6 and its nothing special
The Bose actually have a small break in period. It's not earth shattering, but I've noticed that the mids and lows are a bit more responsive and less muddled than they were brand new.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I test drove a 550xi.

The reason I went with Audi (even from just a test drive)....

1. BMW looked great but the interior didn't feel that special
2. Audi has much better options and was $15,000~ cheaper
3. BMW steering felt good, you got feedback. In the Audi it feels numb, like playing an arcade game but its incredibly precise. You know when you turn the wheel its going to go where you want.
4. The lighting packages. Just look at those S6 LED headlights and daytime running lights.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm
5. Audi's understated elegance and sportiness. At first glance the S6 looks like a generic sedan until you look again, and then you're gone!

To be honest the Audi was my last option, I didn't even want to test drive it. When I did, it was a no brainer. The BMW dealership was trying to force me to buy a car because "they had no room for employee parking" not because it was a good car, not because they could get me a good deal but because they had too many cars...

Pretty sure I'll be with the Audi brand for the foreseeable future.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I dont know about the F10s but i own an E60 and a C7.
Design wise, the A6 is a lot better of course but the brake pedal feel, throttle feel and steering feel is awful compared to the E60.
So for me its Audi A6 for eye candy and BMW 5 Series for real driving pleasure.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Newbai
I dont know about the F10s but i own an E60 and a C7.
Design wise, the A6 is a lot better of course but the brake pedal feel, throttle feel and steering feel is awful compared to the E60.
So for me its Audi A6 for eye candy and BMW 5 Series for real driving pleasure.
I have to agree. I love the looks both in and out and the engine is incredible, but that's where it ends. It's a frustrating car to drive. There is too much throttle delay to the point of dangerous. The steering is boring, you never feel connected to the the road that's is until you hit a pothole that rattles your teeth. I have owned numerous BMW's and I can tell you without a doubt that their suspensions are light years ahead of audi. Bumps that get absorbed in a BMW, hurt in an audi.

I still like the car there are a lot of pluses, but for driving pleasure it's bmw. Now that the new 550's have increased their horsepower to be competitive with the S6, I will probably be going back.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccap
I have to agree. I love the looks both in and out and the engine is incredible, but that's where it ends. It's a frustrating car to drive. There is too much throttle delay to the point of dangerous. The steering is boring, you never feel connected to the the road that's is until you hit a pothole that rattles your teeth. I have owned numerous BMW's and I can tell you without a doubt that their suspensions are light years ahead of audi. Bumps that get absorbed in a BMW, hurt in an audi.

I still like the car there are a lot of pluses, but for driving pleasure it's bmw. Now that the new 550's have increased their horsepower to be competitive with the S6, I will probably be going back.
I test drove a 550xi M-sport and the S6. I didn't feel the steering in the 550 to be much tighter than the S6. A little yes, but not significant. The Audi interior is a huge leap over the 5-series. All these turbo V8 motors have lag. The BMW was no different than the Audi. The suspension calibration on the 550 was definitely better. Audi's are harsher and have more roll, although changing the sway bar in the S6 made a significant difference. For me the S6 complements my M3 nicely, which is, IMO, as damn near perfect a driving experience as you can get. If I was going to do with one car, however, my choice would probably be a Panamera GTS.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I debated F10 550xi vs S6 and I chose the F10 (with Dinan tune to bring it to 500hp and 560 torque). I must be in the minority because I didn't find the BMW MMI bad at all. The B&O stereo in the BMW rocked. While I haven't heard the B&O in the S6, I would imagine that it would be just as good.

Two things pushed me over the edge - exterior looks (and I know that is entirely subjective) - I liked the look of the 550 (w/ M sport package) better than the S6 and I didn't want a black or white interior that the S6 only offered (I wasn't going to back down from the neat stitching either).

FWIW, I no longer own the BMW - my DD is an SQ5. While not as powerful as the 550 (or the S6), it is just as much fun to drive and has a bit more utility.

The thing I hated about the BMW the most was the run-flat tires. They were really harsh and 'banged' the car whenever going over rough road.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had an '07 550i - to this day, my favorite driver's car, but not great power in lower RPM's. Test drove the new 550 and was frankly disappointed by the lack of road and steering feel. With the ability to adjust the suspension on the S6, the fact that the native drive system is awd, and with an APR tune, this car rocks. The Bose system needs volume to really get fidelity, but otherwise, very few complaints. I would make the same choice again.