S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Nav display question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav display question

I posted this question over on AZ and no one has yet to come up with an answer. So now I'm really worried . . .

I'm not quite two weeks into S6 ownership and am really, really happy with the car with one exception - MMI. I had a five year old S4 before the S6 and knew I'd be getting an updated MMI, but I'm very disappointed about how little has been changed, updated or improved. And today I realized something that may be a significant step backward, but hopefully I'm missing something.

In my old S4, when approaching a highway intersection with route guidance activated, the left side of the main MMI screen showed a rendering of the highway signage along with lane markings and arrows indicating which lanes I should be in. It was extremely helpful. But for the life of me, I can't find a setting for that same display in my new and supposedly improved S6 MMI. Has that functionality gone away or have I not set up my nav properly?

This is what my old S4 displayed on the left side when approaching a highway intersection:
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2016, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

It is still there, but I can't remember exactly what you change in the settings to turn it on.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
It is still there, but I can't remember exactly what you change in the settings to turn it on.
That's encouraging. Does it display on your nav? What year/model do you have?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
That's encouraging. Does it display on your nav? What year/model do you have?
I have a '16 S6 as well. Don't worry, I am 95% certain it is there. If you're in NAV mode, go to "options", it's called "split screen" or under "screen settings" or something similar. I'll check today if I remember. Certainly it is in the owners manual as well (at least I'd think it would be).
Old 06-15-2016, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

I have a 2016 S7. It will display, but I have it turned off. One of the first things I did when I got the car which is why I can't remember when the option is.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
I have a 2016 S7. It will display, but I have it turned off. One of the first things I did when I got the car which is why I can't remember when the option is.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by A6er
I have a '16 S6 as well. Don't worry, I am 95% certain it is there. If you're in NAV mode, go to "options", it's called "split screen" or under "screen settings" or something similar. I'll check today if I remember. Certainly it is in the owners manual as well (at least I'd think it would be).
Ya, I've tried all the split screen options - "Route Info", "Maneuver" and "Off". None of them give me that screen at highway intersections. I keep hoping that I've missed something else . . . Any additional help you could provide is appreciated.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

While I don't have the S6, the image on the left of your screen photo shows up in the center display between the tach and speedo on my A8 when the NAV is gives a specific instruction (i.e. Exit ramp). It also shows up on the heads up display if activated. The split screen is nice though. I may check it out in my settings. Good luck.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

The functionality that I'm looking for is documented on page 68 of the MMI manual. There is supposed to be a separate Nav setting for "Intersection Map" which can be turned on or off. I do not have that setting in my Settings menu. Could someone check for me whether other A/S6s have that setting? Much thanks.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

The C7 lane images are different than the older B8 series. As mentioned previously, the lane info is in the center cluster DIS when navigating - you must have the nav screen selected. When an interstate interchange is approached the large blue arrow will change to show the lanes to be in and as you are closer, there will be a small rectangular box in the bottom of the display that will depict all the lanes and small blue arrows in the lanes you should be in (not shown below but similar to the picture you show in your OP) to continue your route. The exit numbers and names are also available in the DIS as well as the large nav screen.

The nav settings I have are as shown below.

There is no split screen image in the large nav screen. On the other hand, you get more info and live street intersection turn by turn info with a distance to turn gauge while the large screen can show all of the turns coming up in text. Much more useful overall.

Last edited by snagitseven; 06-16-2016 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

snagit, you get the prize for smartest boy in the room. Thank you. It should come as no surprise that neither my dealership's "tech guru" or Audi tech support knew what you know. Even the current MMI manual is wrong for my 3/16 build. Amazing.

A couple of notes . . . My Nav Settings menu is very different than yours. Among other things, the option for the Instrument Cluster Street View is in the DIS menu and is only visible when nav is active. Also, to me, this implementation of the detail "Intersection Map" is a bit of a step backwards as you've got to dedicate both the MMI and the DIS screens to navigation to get all the info. And I've got a third screen - HUD - which shows only useless, rudimentary arrows. The HUD on my 2004 BMW showed much greater nav info, and for at least five years now, BMW's HUD has displayed the Intersection Map right in your line of site. But at least I now know how to access the info I was looking for in my new Audi. Thanks again.

BMW's HUD (fields can be turned on or off based on personal preference):
Attached Images