S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

OEM Wheels Plus Replica Winter Wheel Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol, wtf. Well that sucks.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well I went ahead and purchased my Winter set-up:

Tires:
MICHELIN
PILOT ALPIN PA4

Wheels:
https://www.usarim.com/19-inch-audi-...nmetal-wheels/

Thanks to everyone who posted info!! Now I just need to see if the center caps are the Audi Replica caps or not. I'll Let you guys know how I feel about the setup, etc.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Well I went ahead and purchased my Winter set-up:

Tires:
MICHELIN
PILOT ALPIN PA4

Wheels:
https://www.usarim.com/19-inch-audi-...nmetal-wheels/

Thanks to everyone who posted info!! Now I just need to see if the center caps are the Audi Replica caps or not. I'll Let you guys know how I feel about the setup, etc.

CONFIRMED: the Wheels clear the brake calipers
CONFIRMED: the factory Lug nuts work just fine
CONFIRMED: you can just use the same center caps off of your authentic Audi wheels, I just had to remove the tension ring. (The wheels came with some cheap mirror finish center caps, with out any Audi badges)

I'm sure the ride quality and ice/snow/freezing performance will be outstanding, as these tires are highly rated as close to the best performance Winter tire. I'll update as the winter plays out.

Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails OEM Wheels Plus Replica Winter Wheel Review-3567.jpg   OEM Wheels Plus Replica Winter Wheel Review-3566.jpg   OEM Wheels Plus Replica Winter Wheel Review-3563.jpg   OEM Wheels Plus Replica Winter Wheel Review-3564.jpg  
Old 11-12-2016, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
I'm sure the ride quality and ice/snow/freezing performance will be outstanding, as these tires are highly rated as close to the best performance Winter tire. I'll update as the winter plays out.
The Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 are excellent performance winter tyres, and what I use on both my S5 and A7.

But what performance winter tyres means is that they will give you the best handling, steering response and braking on tarmac at low temperatures. They are somewhat compromised on snow and ice as a result - you cannot have both. A Michelin X-Ice, by example, will be better on snow and ice, but will have much less grip and longer braking distances than the PA4 on cleared roads.

Just don't want you going off the side of a mountain in a snow storm
Old 11-12-2016, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Glisse
The Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 are excellent performance winter tyres, and what I use on both my S5 and A7.

But what performance winter tyres means is that they will give you the best handling, steering response and braking on tarmac at low temperatures. They are somewhat compromised on snow and ice as a result - you cannot have both. A Michelin X-Ice, by example, will be better on snow and ice, but will have much less grip and longer braking distances than the PA4 on cleared roads.

Just don't want you going off the side of a mountain in a snow storm

Yea when I think about the winters I face in Massachusetts, most actual snow fall is cleared off the roads quickly, so I thought to myself I don't really need to plow through snow accumulation regularly. Most of my winter driving is on cold clear, sometimes wet roads. If it does snow the tire will still get me through that if needed, albeit at perhaps a compromise as you suggest.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely PA4s. I'm on my third season and they are great for handling and low noise. Not the best choice for real heavy snow, but good in general.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just swapped my OEM wheels with OEM Wheels Plus RS7 style 19" wheels myself on Blizzaks over the weekend. I think they look great, and indeed, they barely clear the front rotors on the S6. The wheel weights are fine and I think are as far as they can be, but it seriously is about 1mm.