S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Operation of S6 Exhaust Flap

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sport Line very nice exhaust sound and awesome tail pipes, are they custom made?

still have not found time to do a drive by with my car. Weather should be better this week so will try to do it
Old 06-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just looked up the macan turbo exhaust tips but these seem like a special type of exhaust tips any part numbers that you can give me, as these look really appealing would love to install them
Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Neat trick cutting the V to remove the fiberglass. Thanks for sharing.

My 2016 S6 has two different rear mufflers, as they have moved one of the valves to the input of one of the mufflers. This rules out using straight pipes (no X or H) as one valve would block off 4 cylinders when closed.

This does however open more possibilities as moding the left muffler only has an effect when the valves are open (4 cylinder mode would be the same) and moding the right would have an effect when the valves are in either state.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:27 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MadAboutCars
Neat trick cutting the V to remove the fiberglass. Thanks for sharing.

My 2016 S6 has two different rear mufflers, as they have moved one of the valves to the input of one of the mufflers. This rules out using straight pipes (no X or H) as one valve would block off 4 cylinders when closed.

This does however open more possibilities as moding the left muffler only has an effect when the valves are open (4 cylinder mode would be the same) and moding the right would have an effect when the valves are in either state.
The X-Crossover pipe is an option with the new valve arrangement. There was a great thread on this modification not that long ago.

The H-Pipe is not recommended due to the single valve causing back pressure problems when the valve is in the closed position.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was the one that first posted about the new exhaust valve layout on the MY16 S6. There is no problem using an H pipe or X pipe with the MY16 center muffler delete, you just can't use straight pipes.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just took delivery of a '17 S6, been waiting a long time to get my hands on the 4.0tt engine. Anyhow, I'm in the same boat... unsure if I want to drop $2-3k on an AWE or Milltek exhaust for it. Have always done it in the past, and both are well worth the money, but the stock sport exhaust is worth modding/saving imo. It's just a bit too quiet for me at cruising speeds, idle, and for the life of me I can't figure out what's going on at 3500 rpm sometimes... it's like it cuts off and goes silent (assume the valves are opened and closed via the controller when the ecm senses a particular engine rpm, speed, and throttle position). It's not just the soundaker (sp?) on the firewall either, pulled the fuse on it to determine that. Considering removing the center suitcase and replacing with H pipe, but want to better understand options with the valves.

Has anyone programmed the valves permanently open using VCDS? If so, did it cause undesirable drone in 4 cyl mode? And, while on that topic, is there a way to permanently disable 4 cyl mode via VCDS?
Old 09-23-2016, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, great thread. This is me subscribing as I'm interested in further OEM valve actuation. So far I only have an aftermarket system actuated by aftermarket wired switch and aftermarket wireless switch.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

you could always use the awe switchpath remote to control the valves

AWE Tuning Switchpath Remote for Stock Exhaust | AWE Tuning
Old 10-17-2016, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saxon

It doesn't make an S6 or S7 any louder. The valves on these models are open most of the time anyway (only closed for 4 cylinder mode and at high rpms in comfort mode). All the switch path does is make the exhaust quieter when they are forced closed.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by saxon

Right, but looking to do it via VCDS directly, especially deactivating 4 cyl mode. Realize it's a tall order, but hoping someone figures it.

Other option I've been looking into is the Milltek Valvesonic control system. From what I've read, it appears to be programmable and integrates into the car system directly. Anyone have experience with their control setup?

Quick Reply: Operation of S6 Exhaust Flap