S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

OptiCoat on my S6

Old 09-23-2013, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am honestly a bit dissappointed in Opti-Coat. My detailer swears by it, and he does amazing work so I was really expecting great things. My primary complaint is that I don't seem to notice too much "dirt resistantance" effect.

For example, I can see an enormous difference in my wheels' resistance to brake dust when I have recently applied Armor All wheel protectant. With it freshly applied, I can get my wheels clean very easily with a light misting of Sonax and the hose. However, if I go awhile without applying it, brake dust is noticably "stickier". Its this effect that leads me to believe that the Opti-Coat isn't doing as much as I had hoped, if the wheels are that much easier to clean only by use of an additional product.

For the $300 or however much it was to apply (not 100% sure, I received a full detail, Opti-Coat and clear bra done all at once), I was hoping for more. My $0.02.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
I am honestly a bit dissappointed in Opti-Coat. My detailer swears by it, and he does amazing work so I was really expecting great things. My primary complaint is that I don't seem to notice too much "dirt resistantance" effect.

For example, I can see an enormous difference in my wheels' resistance to brake dust when I have recently applied Armor All wheel protectant. With it freshly applied, I can get my wheels clean very easily with a light misting of Sonax and the hose. However, if I go awhile without applying it, brake dust is noticably "stickier". Its this effect that leads me to believe that the Opti-Coat isn't doing as much as I had hoped, if the wheels are that much easier to clean only by use of an additional product.

For the $300 or however much it was to apply (not 100% sure, I received a full detail, Opti-Coat and clear bra done all at once), I was hoping for more. My $0.02.
I've not seen claims that Opti-coat resists dirt or brake dust. What I have noticed it seems to be a bit easier to clean but it doesn't prevent the dirt from accumulating in the first place.

As for the wheels, my observation is the opposite of yours. I've always used Sonax and the last two washes since Opti-coat, I've only needed soap and my usual soft wheel brush. I've used the Armor All Wheel Protectant in the past with some reasonable results. I'll have to reapply it and see if it still helps keeping the brake dust down over the Opti-coat (I suspect it will work the same).

One thing I especially like about the Opti-coat is it perpetually looks like it's just been waxed (even though I've not waxed since the Opti-coat was applied).
Old 09-23-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I've not seen claims that Opti-coat resists dirt or brake dust. What I have noticed it seems to be a bit easier to clean but it doesn't prevent the dirt from accumulating in the first place.

As for the wheels, my observation is the opposite of yours. I've always used Sonax and the last two washes since Opti-coat, I've only needed soap and my usual soft wheel brush. I've used the Armor All Wheel Protectant in the past with some reasonable results. I'll have to reapply it and see if it still helps keeping the brake dust down over the Opti-coat (I suspect it will work the same).

One thing I especially like about the Opti-coat is it perpetually looks like it's just been waxed (even though I've not waxed since the Opti-coat was applied).
My EXACT same experiences with opti-coat as well.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Just curious who did you go with? I literally only found one person in Orlando who does it. Xpert Auto Detailers.
Todd with Bella Macchina Detailing. He's in Oviedo.

Really nice guy, and he has a lot of experience with OptiCoat. Did a great job.

PM me if you want his contact info.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Todd is one of the nation's top detailers. Very talented. You're fortunate to have someone like him work on your car
Old 09-23-2013, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Todd with Bella Macchina Detailing. He's in Oviedo.

Really nice guy, and he has a lot of experience with OptiCoat. Did a great job.

PM me if you want his contact info.
How'd you find him? I just looked at his website and it doesn't list Opti-Coat under services.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Found him by searching for OptiCoat dealers in Florida. Sent him an email on his website. He called me later that day.

He is not really a full-time detailer anymore but still works on the side.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I've not seen claims that Opti-coat resists dirt or brake dust.
Hmm, that seems to be the main benefit that people tout when discussing Opti-Coat. That it is a hydrophobic formulation that resists dirt. To be fair, Optimum doesn't make that claim on their web site, but a Google search of "opti-coat resist dirt" returns dozens of threads with people claiming that it will prevent dirt from sticking to your car. Maybe just a case of people getting carried away, I guess.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Nobby, I think most are suggesting that the clean up is far easier as brake dust doesn't bond as easily to an OptiCoated surface.

CQuartz is hydrophobic.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Nobby, I think most are suggesting that the clean up is far easier as brake dust doesn't bond as easily to an OptiCoated surface.

CQuartz is hydrophobic.
That's really the jist of it. While any dirt is going to adhere to the surface of the car and wheels, the Opti-coat's reduced surface tension allows dirt to be removed more easily. Looking at some of the Opti-coat test videos online, you can see how the water just flows immediately right off the coated areas. The water doesn't even have a chance to bead.

By placing a hard "shell" over the paint and clear coat, an additional benefit is a reduced chance for swirls and minor scratches although normal care should be used when cleaning as it won't prevent it from happening.

What's interesting is that the Opti-coat, while having a glossy appearance, feels less slippery to the touch. A spray wax wil give it that slippery feel but due to the reduced Opti-coat surface tension, a wax will not be able to adhere as well reducing the wax's longevity on the surface.

After washing (using the two bucket method), I use Optimum Spray Wax which takes no more than 20 minutes for the whole car and gives back that glossy feel over the Opti-coat. BTW, I just started experimenting with the Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine. It uses a whole lot less water (2 gallons) and takes about half the time over a traditional hose wash. It will be great to use during the winters inside my garage.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OptiCoat on my S6