S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Paint Protection Film for S6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Xpel Ultimate full front, wrapped edges on hood and fenders, mirrors, A pillars, rocker panels and rear bumper by trunk opening then Opti-Coat Pro done on entire car including wheels. Three years and not one rock chip or paint fade or blemish. Haven't needed to wax since and shiny as when new.

In order to do full hood, installer must stock Xpel's 60" roll which is very expensive. I hate visible seams so went for it.
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

is it necessary to ask for the wrapped edges? Is it possible that when you buy the full hood coverage kit, the installer will include wrapped edges where they don't on the base (partial do hood coverage) kit. I'm still trying to understand the reason for the $1100 premium for full coverage over partial hood coverage.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Thanks for the responses. Very helpful.

is it necessary to ask for the wrapped edges? Is it possible that when you buy the full hood coverage kit, the installer will include wrapped edges where they don't on the base (partial do hood coverage) kit. I'm still trying to understand the reason for the $1100 premium for full coverage over partial hood coverage.
i can't explain that much of a difference (I don't recall pricing with a pre-cut kit when I shopped it around) but in order to do the hood in one piece, as I said before, the installer must stock and custom cut from Xpel's expensive 60" roll (not all Xpel installers work with the large roll). There is no pre-cut kit for a full hood. It's also a much more complicated and time consuming install to do a full hood vs. a bra and requires two people. Wrapping the edges of hood and fenders would not be part of a kit as I understand it and any good installer should be able to do it with custom cuts.

My installer does everything using custom cuts from rolls and never uses Xpel's pre-cut kits. He feels that he can do a much better job minimizing visible edges and matching the pieces to the exact places on the car. Was he the least expensive quote I received? No, but his reputation and methods made the decision for me.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
i can't explain that much of a difference (I don't recall pricing with a pre-cut kit when I shopped it around) but in order to do the hood in one piece, as I said before, the installer must stock and custom cut from Xpel's expensive 60" roll (not all Xpel installers work with the large roll). There is no pre-cut kit for a full hood. It's also a much more complicated and time consuming install to do a full hood vs. a bra and requires two people. Wrapping the edges of hood and fenders would not be part of a kit as I understand it and any good installer should be able to do it with custom cuts.

My installer does everything using custom cuts from rolls and never uses Xpel's pre-cut kits. He feels that he can do a much better job minimizing visible edges and matching the pieces to the exact places on the car. Was he the least expensive quote I received? No, but his reputation and methods made the decision for me.
Thanks Snagitseven. Sounds like I should go directly to the installer and ask him some of those questions.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good tips Snagit,

Excuse my ignorance of Opti-coat, am
just discovering that coating but did you imply you put Opticoat -Pro as a clear coat on top of the XPEL Ultimate when you said you covered your whole car with the Opticoat Pro??

Of did you just coat the areas of the car not covered by XPEL??

Is this something that you can apply easily enough your self or is it best to have it dealer applied?

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hulamau
Good tips Snagit,

Excuse my ignorance of Opti-coat, am
just discovering that coating but did you imply you put Opticoat -Pro as a clear coat on top of the XPEL Ultimate when you said you covered your whole car with the Opticoat Pro??

Of did you just coat the areas of the car not covered by XPEL??

Is this something that you can apply easily enough your self or is it best to have it dealer applied?

Thanks for the clarification.
The Opti-Coat was applied over the entire car including the Xpel. To clarify, the benefits of Opti-Coat (or any of the other available quality paint protection treatments) applies to areas covered by the Xpel ultimate equally. Since the Ultimate has a clearcoat top layer like your paint, it can be waxed or treated with the Opti-Coat just like the rest of the car.

Optimum currently makes three different Opti-Coat versions. There is the DIY basic version and Opt-Coat Pro and Opti-Coat Plus which are only available applied by authorized installers. The Pro version, which I have, is a thicker coating than the DIY product. They claim the newer Plus version is a 2-step process and an improvement over the Pro with a higher gloss (although I'm very pleased with the Pro version shine after three years).
Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the plus applied to my S6. I do think the plus is indeed a step glossier than the regular pro version and so far I'm very pleased with it. That being said, I don't think most people looking at your car would notice a lack of gloss if you just went with the regular opticoat pro.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by neddy191
I had the plus applied to my S6. I do think the plus is indeed a step glossier than the regular pro version and so far I'm very pleased with it. That being said, I don't think most people looking at your car would notice a lack of gloss if you just went with the regular opticoat pro.
Perhaps the difference would be more noticeable on darker colors. As I mentioned, my Quartz Gray A6 looks about as good as when new although Opti-Coat Pro is not as slippery to the touch like after a good waxing.

Initially, I was waxing the Opt-Coat and it didn't improve the shine, just added slickness to the touch. At least for 2 weeks until the wax had disappeared. The Optic-Coat products will not hold a wax for long due to the very low surface tension of the coating. Like water and dirt, wax tends to roll off. I haven't had a need to wax the car since.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks a bunch Snagit and neddy191 for the education. I'm now in touch with a Phoenix detailer who comes well recommended who rise Optiplus, CQuartz coatings and the Modesto BC or some such name.

I've only got 354 miles on my car still, while I've been pounding away on a bi monthly newsletter I write the past week .. Got another 5 days then will have the time for more than the daily milk run again and will head down to Scottsdale for the Crystalline 70 on the front window and work the coating with the pro detailer.

Great to know ... Cheers! ... Am totally lovin' my new A6, it can get up and fly too!

Interesting seeing the new A4 sedan and Avant reveal today, quite a few tech , mechanical, chassis, aero upgrades across the board and major updates in the interior with significant luxury boost too including multiple seat options as well ... At least in the Euro spec options smorgasbord.

No word yet on which of the 2.0 TFSI will make it to US but I suspect it will run at least 245-252hp, and bringing over the 3.0 6cylinder 272hp-445ft/lb TDI for the A4 would be a great idea too.

Anyway not meaning to divert this thread...

No doubt the next gen A6 in a year or two will bring significant changes as well. And even more so with the exterior look with Marc licthe effect, though the new A4 while certainly an A4 has a good number of exterior refinements too to differentiate it from B8 series to all who know anything beyond a passing glance at Audi's.