S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Phone bluetooth pairing problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone bluetooth pairing problems

Does anyone else have problems when pairing a phone with the 2016 S6?

I purchased the S6 in August and initially had problems with the speakerphone audio. Audi had a TSB for this and the dealership corrected the problem by upgrading the MMI software version to: MHI2_US_AUG11_P0533. Now I'm having a problem with the phone automatically reconnecting (i.e. pairing) with the S6 100% of the time. It pairs occasionally (30% of the time) but the rest of the time it sits in the "Reconnection is active.....please wait.." status until I select the S6 for pairing on the phone itself.

I'm not sure it matters, but I'm using an HTC One M8 - but seem to have the problem with all phones (iOS and Android). On my previous A4 (B8), I never had a problem getting an automatic bluetooth connection (same phone).

Unless, I'm missing something, I expect the phone should pair automatically when I start the car if the phone is in bluetooth range.

I haven't had a chance to check with the dealership to see if there's a more current MMI software version, but unless someone knows of another method to resolve, that's the next step.

Thanks.

Last edited by bradaudi; 12-20-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

The only time I had a problem with bluetooth was with a 2013 S6 and it was caused by an app on my phone that was upsetting the bluetooth connection.

As you have tried multiple phones, it sounds like you have a problem with your bluetooth module in your car. You definitely need to get your dealer to look at it. My 2016 S6 has no issues at all with multiple phones and the software the car was delivered with, in July.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nexus 6P - No issues
Old 01-11-2016, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Does anyone else have problems when pairing a phone with the 2016 S6?

I purchased the S6 in August and initially had problems with the speakerphone audio. Audi had a TSB for this and the dealership corrected the problem by upgrading the MMI software version to: MHI2_US_AUG11_P0533. Now I'm having a problem with the phone automatically reconnecting (i.e. pairing) with the S6 100% of the time. It pairs occasionally (30% of the time) but the rest of the time it sits in the "Reconnection is active.....please wait.." status until I select the S6 for pairing on the phone itself.

I'm not sure it matters, but I'm using an HTC One M8 - but seem to have the problem with all phones (iOS and Android). On my previous A4 (B8), I never had a problem getting an automatic bluetooth connection (same phone).

Unless, I'm missing something, I expect the phone should pair automatically when I start the car if the phone is in bluetooth range.

I haven't had a chance to check with the dealership to see if there's a more current MMI software version, but unless someone knows of another method to resolve, that's the next step.

Thanks.
I have both a BlackBerry Priv (Running Android 5.1.1) and a Google Nexus 6P (Running Android 6.0.1). I have no problems connecting and using my BlackBerry on my 2016 Audi S6 but when trying to use my Nexus, i get about 30 to 60 seconds into a call via Bluetooth before the Nexus drops the call (every single time). Trust me when i say i know what I'm doing and i know that this is an Android Marshmallow (6.0.x) issue.
Any idea if you're running Android 6.x on your smartphone? If not, there are a few other troubleshooting tips worth trying.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMclean
I have both a BlackBerry Priv (Running Android 5.1.1) and a Google Nexus 6P (Running Android 6.0.1). I have no problems connecting and using my BlackBerry on my 2016 Audi S6 but when trying to use my Nexus, i get about 30 to 60 seconds into a call via Bluetooth before the Nexus drops the call (every single time). Trust me when i say i know what I'm doing and i know that this is an Android Marshmallow (6.0.x) issue.
Any idea if you're running Android 6.x on your smartphone? If not, there are a few other troubleshooting tips worth trying.
I have a 6P and Ive never had any connectivity issues. Granted, Im running a custom ROM so maybe that helps.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm stock 6.0.1 with January security patch and I've never had a problem with connectivity with my 6P.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HiTEC
I'm stock 6.0.1 with January security patch and I've never had a problem with connectivity with my 6P.
Wow! Seriously? Neither of you guys (i.e. MadAboutCars & BradAudi) have had any issues staying connected on a call that last more than 1 minute?

I'm running stock Android 6.0.1 with January security patches and i've had my Audi (2016 S6) updated to the latest firmware and I still can't maintain a phone call for more than 60 seconds.

I've even tried to reset the phone to factory settings thinking it was a config i changed or an app i installed.

I'd love to take this conversation to another thread to ask you guys a few questions if you'd be up for that (i just don't want to take this thread off-topic).

Last edited by JohnMclean; 02-04-2016 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm actually suprised to run into fellow Nexus owners, as we're a pretty small crowd.

I can say I've never had a dropped call, but I've only had my car for about 4 or 5 weeks. I also don't talk on the phone much. I talked to my wife on the way home from work today, but I didn't really talk to her that long. I guess I'll have to do more testing.

I listen to podcasts mostly when I'm in the car, and I've never had a problem with A2DP. I'll go out to my car tonight and make a test call somewhere and see if I can sit on hold for a few minutes. I'm going on vacation in the morning so I won't be able to do anymore testing. What you're saying sounds annoying for sure, and I've seen my share of bluetooth bugs over the years being a Nexus user and being the first to get the new versions of Android. Have you seen any confirmed bugs in regards to BT in Marshmallow?
Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm actually suprised to run into fellow Nexus owners, as we're a pretty small crowd.
Ive been a Nexus owner exclusively since the Nexus One!

I listen to podcasts mostly when I'm in the car, and I've never had a problem with A2DP.
This brings up a good point. Is the OP being disconnected ONLY when on phone calls or when also streaming music? I am on Pandora all day long and never get disconnected either.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Found a couple things

https://code.google.com/p/android/is...88#makechanges

https://productforums.google.com/for...us/Sot4_zgCh5M

In-Car Bluetooth Bug Growing On Nexus Marshmallow Devices | Androidheadlines.com

Quick Reply: Phone bluetooth pairing problems