S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roswell
Did you install it yourself? Looks awesome.

I installed this on my S5 and have ordered this for the S6 too. Curious if I should attempt to do it myself or not.. Thanks.
Thanks for your comments. I am thrilled w/ the results. My view is that the chrome-multi-color grill on the S6 is too busy. I have seen folks black out the grey strip, which makes it look 10X better. However, given my car is black, I thought I would go all the way.

Reality is that the features of the car really change w/ this addition. Before, the bright grill was dominating the front features, now the LED headlights and LED running lights are doing all the talking. It makes the car look wider, meaner -- and (IMO), it works well w/ the lower bright work around the sensors/fog lights. I do not think I am going to black those out.

WRT to install: I couldn't install myself due to the fact the car has innovation. The dealer has to recalibrate the cameras and has a special visualization system to do that -- so they did it.

Since I used an Audi OEM part, the car is still "S6 pure". ;-) (Doubt that matters to anyone, but me.)

Best of luck.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Thanks for your comments. I am thrilled w/ the results. My view is that the chrome-multi-color grill on the S6 is too busy. I have seen folks black out the grey strip, which makes it look 10X better. However, given my car is black, I thought I would go all the way.

Reality is that the features of the car really change w/ this addition. Before, the bright grill was dominating the front features, now the LED headlights and LED running lights are doing all the talking. It makes the car look wider, meaner -- and (IMO), it works well w/ the lower bright work around the sensors/fog lights. I do not think I am going to black those out.

WRT to install: I couldn't install myself due to the fact the car has innovation. The dealer has to recalibrate the cameras and has a special visualization system to do that -- so they did it.

Since I used an Audi OEM part, the car is still "S6 pure". ;-) (Doubt that matters to anyone, but me.)

Best of luck.
I too appreciate that you still have a S6 grille. It is important to me too although I like the RS6 grille. I do agree that the black grille looks amazing on black. I agree that you don't need to black out the chrome on the lower sensors because it looks perfect with the Audi rings. I am thinking about blacking mine out though because I still have the full chrome grille. Probably will try it with plastidip and see how it looks and then go from there.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback. I too think it does the most justice on a black car, but I didn't consider the car in any other color. I ordered the OEM black optics grill as I'd prefer to keep as much factory equipment as possible. I'll post some photos of my car after this install. The gray and chrome on the original grill is a bit flashy and I think black will bring a sinister look to the front end.

Until now I have installed:
OEM RS4 style 20"x9" wheels, 29 offset
AWE exhaust
H&R lowering module
tint & clear bra
Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder what it would look like on a white car.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
You could try Plasti-Dip to see what it looks like.

I think it looks great on the black and darker colors. Don't think it would look as good on the silver, white and red.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GermanGarage, could you please do me a huge favour? If you could take a picture at the same angle/distance as the one below, I'll Photoshop the black grill onto a white car for everyone to see.

Old 09-08-2013, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Like This
Old 09-08-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Search on the forum. I think it has been confirmed that the RS6 grille will fit. There also non-OEM options which fit as well.
No one, to my knowledge, has installed an OEM RS6 grille on their S6 yet. I've seen a few that have installed the eBay replica grilles, though...
Old 09-08-2013, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
If everything goes back in the same place, is the recalibration actually necessay? Is the dealer the one who told you it needs to be done?
Old 09-08-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

GermanGarage, could you please do me a huge favour? If you could take a picture at the same angle/distance as the one below, I'll Photoshop the black grill onto a white car for everyone to see.

Hi Deerhunter -- will do. I will try to take a shot on Monday.

Quick Reply: Photos of my new Black Optic S6 grill