S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 Build Advice- Sport or LED?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
Thanks for all the input. It helped. I put the order in today including the sport package. I don't feel bad at all about leaving out the LEDs. As far as their performance is concerned, I don't see an advantage. As for looks, I think the current version of LEDs is marginally better looking than the current xenons but only marginally so. I think Audi nailed the aesthetics on the LEDs for the A7, but the A8 and A6 don't quite rise to that level. Maybe one day the Feds will let us have the cool tech stuff that Audi uses in the LED lights in Europe, and then there will be a more compelling case for them. But for now I'll pass. I'm super stoked about my build and think it's the best out there.

Now the long wait begins.
I would definitely avoid the LED in a custom order. Why would you pay $1500 for a new technology that doesn't really improve the feature. Xenon is great, not need to spend more.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by A6er
I have a very similarly equipped car to what you're building. My advice:

1. DO NOT, whatever you do, drop the Sport Package. In my opinion, it is the most important option (for the exhaust note alone).

2. I would take the LED's over the Black Optics.
I'm going to agree and disagree. Absolutely DO NOT drop the Sport package. However, the reason is not the exhaust. SPORT DIFFERENTIAL. If you've ever driven an S-car without one, you'll be 100% certain you need it. If you ONLY get one feature... GET THIS ONE.

I would generally agree on LED, but I'm a huge "stealth" fan and prefer the less chromey parts. Look like an A6, go fast like an R8.

Honestly though, how can you afford LED but not Black Optic. If you're spending 80k on a car, don't sweat 85k. You don't get to take your money with you when you die.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get the sport package!

The LEDS are cool, but common on newer cars. No giant improvement -maybe none - over standard headlights. However, the sport differential is AWESOME. I like a quiet car so don't much care about sound. The differntial really caps off a great vehicle.

Originally Posted by sallgeud
I'm going to agree and disagree. Absolutely DO NOT drop the Sport package. However, the reason is not the exhaust. SPORT DIFFERENTIAL. If you've ever driven an S-car without one, you'll be 100% certain you need it. If you ONLY get one feature... GET THIS ONE.

I would generally agree on LED, but I'm a huge "stealth" fan and prefer the less chromey parts. Look like an A6, go fast like an R8.

Honestly though, how can you afford LED but not Black Optic. If you're spending 80k on a car, don't sweat 85k. You don't get to take your money with you when you die.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Driver Assist and Sport are the must-haves. I don't have Black Optic but do like the way it looks - but I wouldn't consider that a priority. If it's between LEDs and Black Optic, I'd go with LEDs, but that choice is mostly related to looks than functionality.

If you happen to need to replace an entire LED headlight module, I can tell you that a few years ago, each one was $2,200 for my S6. Ouch.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Late to the discussion, but Daytona Gray = Black optics mandatory, esp with black sport exhaust tail pipes. Enjoy your new Audi when in arrives in good health.

Originally Posted by Silent Drone
Thanks for all the input. It helped. I put the order in today including the sport package. I don't feel bad at all about leaving out the LEDs. As far as their performance is concerned, I don't see an advantage. As for looks, I think the current version of LEDs is marginally better looking than the current xenons but only marginally so. I think Audi nailed the aesthetics on the LEDs for the A7, but the A8 and A6 don't quite rise to that level. Maybe one day the Feds will let us have the cool tech stuff that Audi uses in the LED lights in Europe, and then there will be a more compelling case for them. But for now I'll pass. I'm super stoked about my build and think it's the best out there.

Now the long wait begins.