S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 build questions

Hi Everyone,

Lurker here for the last few months. Been toying with the idea of getting an S5 for many months but just decided this week that I want/need an S6. S5 was a little too outdated technology wise and the extra 120HP is very alluring. The S6 is at the upper end of my budget so I am trying to be "a little" frugal by getting just what I need.

First of all is it too late in the season to order one and I will never get it?

This weekend I looked at a few S6's and noticed some had flat bottom steering wheels and some did not. Is this because you lose the flat bottom if you get the cold weather package? The salesman was very new and did not know the answer off the top of his head. I love that flat bottom wheel and need to have it.

I was thinking of:

S6 Prestige Sepang Blue
Black Optic Package
S6 sport package

Pretty basic I guess. Will I regret not getting the comfort seats? (They did not have one I could sit in). They did have the Arras red seats but my girlfriend did not like the contrast. Got to try and please her while I am spending this kind f cash on a car and not a ring.. :-)

Can I ask what everyone's favorite option is and that you would miss if if you did not have it?

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
Newbie Derek

PS I am coming in from a Honda Accord V6 so this is a huge upgrade for me...
Old 04-11-2016, 05:28 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by dlitton@yahoo.com
This weekend I looked at a few S6's and noticed some had flat bottom steering wheels and some did not. Is this because you lose the flat bottom if you get the cold weather package? The salesman was very new and did not know the answer off the top of his head. I love that flat bottom wheel and need to have it.
Yes.
Thus far there is no Audi factory heated flat bottom steering wheel.
While I love the heated wheel on very cold days I prefer the feel of the thicker flat bottom wheel on my wife's SQ5.
Maybe one day we will get the best of both.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately, the flat bottom wheel goes away with the cold weather package so you have to decide between looks and warm hands. One very important reason for me to get the S6 over the A6 was the Carbon Atlas inlays which are not available on the A6. They were a must have for me. Also, you may want to get the black cloth headliner rather than the default silver. I have the comfort seats and like them. The are ventilated and very adjustable and offer some massage functions. If it was just me, I could do just as well with the default sport seats but I wanted some more comfort for my wife. I like some of the elements of the driver assistance package very much. The surround cameras are pretty nice and the warning when I get too close to the car in front of me is also very helpful. You already decided to get the prestige package, the black optic package and the sports package so I don't need to convince you about those.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comfort seats are in S8

Either its the same or similar, though that could have changed. I love them.
Hi Everyone,

Lurker here for the last few months. Been toying with the idea of getting an S5 for many months but just decided this week that I want/need an S6. S5 was a little too outdated technology wise and the extra 120HP is very alluring. The S6 is at the upper end of my budget so I am trying to be "a little" frugal by getting just what I need.

I was thinking of:

S6 Prestige Sepang Blue
Black Optic Package
S6 sport package

Pretty basic I guess. Will I regret not getting the comfort seats? (They did not have one I could sit in). They did have the Arras red seats but my girlfriend did not like the contrast. Got to try and please her while I am spending this kind f cash on a car and not a ring.. :-)

Can I ask what everyone's favorite option is and that you would miss if if you did not have it?

Newbie Derek

Old 04-11-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of:

S6 Prestige Sepang Blue
Black Optic Package
S6 sport package

Newbie Derek

As far as the Flat bottom steering wheel, it's what others have said, the "Cold Weather Package" deletes the flat botton on the S6, (Not true for the S8, if you were considering an upgrade to the S8...lol)

As far as the "Comfort Seating Package", Everyone who get this says it's amazing, it has been said that it's pretty much the most comfortable seats made by the big German 3. Thing is, if the flat bottom is like a "must have" for you, I'd think that you'd have similar reasons to consider the S6 specific sport seats, as they are an undeniable beauty in the S6.

Thirdly, I'd check out the math on the "Prestige trim" of the S6, if your looking to watch the budget as you've said, I seem to recall doing out the math and you really don't get a whole lot for the difference in price to upgrade to that trim level, as I recall you can a la carte some of the prestige trim adds, and pass on the Auto trunk, and pass on the HUD (Heads up display) the HUD is a HUGE eyesore, and for someone interested in the flat bottom, you may find that huge hump on the dash very ugly.

Good Luck in your search.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of:

S6 Prestige Sepang Blue
Black Optic Package
S6 sport package

Newbie Derek

I had the same type of mindset when going for my S6. I was thinking S5 or even RS5 but when I found out I could get the right pricing, I decided on moving up to the S6 as well but I wanted to keep the options very basic. Originally I was just going to do Ibis White or Brilliant Black, Cold Weather and Bose. Then I decided I didn't want another black or white car (just came from a Phantom Black S4 and we just purchased a Glacier White Q5 as well), so decided on Daytona. Really did not want to lose the flat bottom steering wheel so I decided to lose the Cold Weather and actually I have no regrets. The fat flat bottom steering wheel is still one of my favorite things about the car and I can deal with a few months of cold hands through the years in return. I was also just going to do the natural wood interior but found out that there was a backorder on that and it would delay my order at least 30 days and really I preferred the Carbon Atlas anyway so I splurged on that. The Bose isn't the greatest but it's much better than the factory audio in my opinion and the upgrade was worth it in my opinion. The only major option that I was worried I would miss is the Sports Diff which can now no longer be ordered a la carte and is only part of a much larger and more expensive package. I skipped it. Honestly I can't really tell the difference. With the S4 I could really the Sports Diff out of corners but the S6 is so big and heavy and does not have the handling prowess of the S4, that the effect is minimal in my personal opinion. I test drove a fully loaded S6 before I bought, and it was not a huge difference for me. I did go back and forth about the Black Optics but the aluminum optic side mirrors are a trademark of the S cars that I love and I had a A7 loaner with the Black Optics package for a week that showed me that the Black Optics wheels/tire package were extremely rough on NY Tristate roads. So weighing that I decided against spending the extra although sometimes when I see a Black Optics car, I do regret it.

I have to admit I hate the factory 19" wheels alot more than I thought I would. They have some old school King Arthur/German Reich look which I cannot stand. I decided to use those as winters and just recently picked up a set of factory 20" wheels. Not the 20" that come in the black optics package but the optional 20" split spokes, and I absolutely love them. I installed new Continental Extreme Summers and I was relieved that at least with this wheel and tire combo the car is not harsh over bumps at all. My experience before could be more to do with how the A7 rides then the actual Black Optics Wheels, or that the Continentals are known to be somewhat of a "soft" tire, although I have heard other S6 owners with the Black Optics Wheels complaining about how rough the wheels are over the bumps, but anyway now I am totally happy with how the car looks and drives.

2016 S6 in Daytona Gray, Lunar Silver Interior, Carbon Atlas and Bose. That's it. I'm a tech junkie too and I do not miss any of the other options. I have to admit I kind of had regrets about the S6 when I first bought it but it's definitely growing on me, especially after swapping out the tires. The Continentals really do alot to smooth out the ride on the car.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

For me I will probably mis Ventilated seats but the look of the sport seats is just that amazing! Anytime someone opens my door they go "Wow look at those seats". I personally love the sport package and black optic and flat bottom steering wheel! But at the end of the day, whichever way you configure the car you will still get the 4.0 TT motor, which is the real joy of the car!

Oh yeah, check out the layered aluminum inlays, they look amazing and are super rare!

I thought I was gonna get Arras red the whole way until I saw it in person. It is a lot darker then it looks in photographs. Not saying it looks bad but its not really my cup of tea, especially since I came from a Lexus with Cabernet interior which was a very similar tone of red, more like a brick red.

Last edited by djpeaksd; 04-12-2016 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

why doesnt audi do a ventilated sport seat?
Old 04-12-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by libTTech
The only major option that I was worried I would miss is the Sports Diff which can now no longer be ordered a la carte and is only part of a much larger and more expensive package. I skipped it. Honestly I can't really tell the difference.
On the website it looks ala cart. What package do you have to get that includes the Sport Differential? Are you referring to the Sport Package?

I was now thinking:

S6 Premium Plus Sepang Blue
Carbon Atlas Inlay
Individual Contour Seating Package
S6 Sport Package
Black optic Package
LED Headlight
Bose
Black cloth headliner

Slightly over $81.... Is backup camera standard or part of the Drivers Assist Package?

Thanks again,
Derek
Old 04-12-2016, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

On the website it looks ala cart. What package do you have to get that includes the Sport Differential? Are you referring to the Sport Package?

I was now thinking:

S6 Premium Plus Sepang Blue
Carbon Atlas Inlay
Individual Contour Seating Package
S6 Sport Package
Black optic Package
LED Headlight
Bose
Black cloth headliner

Slightly over $81.... Is backup camera standard or part of the Drivers Assist Package?

Thanks again,
Derek
Yeah that looks good! For me personally I would just check the Prestige package because if I was planning on adding Bose and Led headlights, I would want the automatic trunk (to some not a big deal but for me I really like having that) also not having Led interior lighting would bother me too.

I do realize that everyone has a budget and different criteria but those are just my thoughts.

Have you sat in the standard "Sport Seats"?

Yeah so I just built one on Audi's site
Prestige, Sepang, driver assistance, black optics, sport package, so pretty much fully loaded minus night vision, B&O and alcantara headliner and it came out to $83,425.

My point is that this is a huge purchase and you are already paying $80K+ for a car. Why not spend a few thousand more and get it loaded? Maybe that isn't in the cards for you and would be overextending yourself, so I get that.

Do I use the radar cruise control all the time? No, but when I am on a long drive or in traffic it is super nice to have.

Quick Reply: S6 build questions