S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 (C7) brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 (C7) brake pad replacement

Anyone ever replaced the pads on their C7 S6? Are any special tools required? Anyone have a HOWTO on doing this, or a copy of the procedure from the service manual?

Thanks in advance,

(and if this has been covered before and I missed the thread I apologize... I did search before posting)
Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Don't have a procedure, but my understanding is you need a VAGCOM to retract the caliper piston.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also in NoVA, and interested in the procedure. I assume it's like all of the older cars I've had, except for retracting the rear calipers with VCDS.

I won't need to change them for some time (new S6), but this is another job I will DIY.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I knew about the VAG-COM, picked one up a while back, also have a set of Disc Italia ceramic pads. When I was doing my winter to summer wheel swap this weekend I took some photos of the calipers & rotors; looks like the standard 'remove a couple of bolts, lift off the caliper and install new pads' kind of job. The only issue I see is the splined bolt holding down the front calipers. <photo attached>

2013 Audi S6 front caliper mounting bolt

Anyone know where to find a socket for this creature? It isn't a standard 12 point splined bolt, it only has 10 points on it.

Thanks,
Old 03-31-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S6NOVA
I knew about the VAG-COM, picked one up a while back, also have a set of Disc Italia ceramic pads. When I was doing my winter to summer wheel swap this weekend I took some photos of the calipers & rotors; looks like the standard 'remove a couple of bolts, lift off the caliper and install new pads' kind of job. The only issue I see is the splined bolt holding down the front calipers. <photo attached>

2013 Audi S6 front caliper mounting bolt

Anyone know where to find a socket for this creature? It isn't a standard 12 point splined bolt, it only has 10 points on it.

Thanks,
According to this post, those bolts DON'T need to come off. There was some confusion of A6 vs. S6, but I believe this is true on the S6 as well.

Front brake pads-what size hex?

Also, my understanding is that the VCDS is only needed for the REAR pads (but it's great to have either way).

Last edited by nobbyv; 03-31-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The only other hardware on the caliper are the two small torx-head bolts, and I just can't image something that small retaining the entire caliber on a high performance 4400lb vehicle. The larger 10point bolts must be the bolts that come out to slide off the caliper.

S6 Caliper
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And I concur about the VAG-COM only being necessary to retract the parking brake on the rear calipers. My rear pads still have lots of miles left on them, but if I am switching from metallic to ceramic for the front pads I want to switch the rear pads at the same time.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S6NOVA
The only other hardware on the caliper are the two small torx-head bolts, and I just can't image something that small retaining the entire caliber on a high performance 4400lb vehicle. The larger 10point bolts must be the bolts that come out to slide off the caliper.

S6 Caliper
You're right, does seem weird; I pulled the caliper on my wife's Q5 and they were two beefy ~12mm head bolts. Like you said, hard to believe just those two hex Either way, let me know what you find out as I need to do mine in the next few weeks.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

I replaced the pads on my S6 a few months ago, you don't need to remove the splined bolts. The torx head bolts are the only thing holding the pads in.
Depending on the condition of the pad vibration dampeners, you might need to replace those, I reused mine with no ill effects.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sid77
I replaced the pads on my S6 a few months ago, you don't need to remove the splined bolts. The torx head bolts are the only thing holding the pads in.
Depending on the condition of the pad vibration dampeners, you might need to replace those, I reused mine with no ill effects.

Once the torx head bolts come off the caliper lifts off the disc? Or the pads slide out somehow? Guess I could just pull the bolts and figure it out... but I'm the engineer type that likes to understand a process before diving in.

And thanks for the input... been looking for someone who has swapped pads on an S6 and could share their knowledge.

Quick Reply: S6 (C7) brake pad replacement