S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 Oil Change - How Frequent?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default S6 Oil Change - How Frequent?

So I know that Audi recommends changing the S6 oil @ 5000 miles, and then again after 15000.

My oil has been overfilled at the 5000 mile service and I've got the reduce oil level notification in the MMI when I check the oil level.

I'm going to take my car in to the dealer to reduce the oil level, but should I just have them change the oil altogether? I'm getting close to 9000 miles now and the oil was changed at about 4500 miles.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I change mine at half the recommended interval (5,000 miles or 8,000 km).
Old 03-28-2014, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I'm going to take my car in to the dealer to reduce the oil level, but should I just have them change the oil altogether? I'm getting close to 9000 miles now and the oil was changed at about 4500 miles.
Learn all about oil from "Bob is the oil guy"
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

Some people will say that it's better to be safe than sorry. I would say that today's lubricants are superior to anything that was current when the old adages were formulated.

Audi is conservative when it comes to the engine since they pay for warranty work. The sump holds a lot of oil. I would wait until 15,000 miles for the oil change. If in doubt, get a sample when the excess oil is removed and send it in for testing.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have audi care, but I still change the oil myself 1/2 way through. so every 5k miles I change it. my s6 is leased and I still do it. I do this on all my cars, my mb, bmw and porsche. when you wait 10K mile intervals, the car feels sluggish and the motor doesn't feel as good. especially when revving in the higher rpm band. newer oil makes the motor feel buttery smooth and feels faster. this is just my observations, but all my cars feel much faster with newer oil. I usually diy, so oil is cheap $7-10 qt + $10-20 a filter. it doesn't hurt your car to change the oil frequently and to me the car feels much better for a minimal cost.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default synthetic oil

Basically, synthetic oil has superior lubricating properties and it doesn't "burn" at temperatures that regular oil does. If you have no leaks you should have almost as much oil after 10K mi as when you started (slight loss around rings). I have Audi Care and they change oil yearly because I only drive 8K miles a year. I follow Audi recommendations because if there is any risk to the long intervals Audi would be exposed to them through the need for increased warranty service. It makes sense that they know that the intervals are safe. Just like I think my car runs better when its clean, I think that any perceived difference is mostly psychological. All this is dependent on using a proper synthetic oil. But if you believe your S6 will love you more with more frequent oil changes there is certainly no harm - except the $179 my dealer charges.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Based on several used oil analyses I've done on previous cars, it seems that the additive levels in the oil I use (Mobil 1 0W-40 or Rotella T6 5W-40), both of which are quality oils and held in the highest regard on Bobistheoilguy.com, start approaching unacceptably low levels around 8000 miles. That being said, I change oil every 7-8000 miles. Viscosity breakdown never an issue.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

When you take it in make sure to get the dealer to document as much as possible. That it was overfilled and by how much. Too much oil can be just as bad for these engines as too little. 4500 miles with too much oil would be terrible.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
When you take it in make sure to get the dealer to document as much as possible. That it was overfilled and by how much. Too much oil can be just as bad for these engines as too little. 4500 miles with too much oil would be terrible.
Great.......

They actually told me they deliberately add too much oil because "these cars consume oil."
Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If having too much oil is so bad, then why wouldn't the car show a warning? The only way I found the notification was by manually viewing the oil level in the MMI. The car never made me aware of this fact on its own.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
If having too much oil is so bad, then why wouldn't the car show a warning? The only way I found the notification was by manually viewing the oil level in the MMI. The car never made me aware of this fact on its own.
There have been people who say the car has told them it was overfilled. Usually within a thousand miles of the oil change. Maybe it is because yours wasn't as overfilled? I would imagine it would probably have to hit a certain mark just like getting low. I assume since it has been 4500 miles you haven't had any of the more serious problems like significant smoke coming out of the exhaust or idling rough. If the oil is filled too much and comes in contact with the crankshaft then it can cause aerification in the oil, putting bubbles basically in the oil, when then can starve the engine of oil because it disrupts oil distribution.

Quick Reply: S6 Oil Change - How Frequent?