S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 Turbocharger Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Redesigned part

I believe there is a redesigned bracket or some part but mine leaked again despite the new part.

Originally Posted by Nermb
Im having the same problem on my 4.0T A8L. Didnt know what the oil looking stuff that was burnt around the lines was. I thought it was oil. Does anyone know if replacing only the o ring is an option or if it is hard to do it yourself? I would replace the lines completely, but it seems like turbos have to come out to do so since they go all the way under them. Any help is appreciated
Old 03-06-2017, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DD1546
I believe there is a redesigned bracket or some part but mine leaked again despite the new part.
thanks for your reply. Did it stop leaking once you replaced the pipes and o rings as a hole? Im curious if replacing the top o rings is as easy as unbolting the pipes, pulling them out, and replacing the o ring or if its something a whole lot more complicated than that
Old 03-06-2017, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stopped

thanks for your reply. Did it stop leaking once you replaced the pipes and o rings as a hole? Im curious if replacing the top o rings is as easy as unbolting the pipes, pulling them out, and replacing the o ring or if its something a whole lot more complicated than that

They replaced the gasket and the brass-plated bracket, which is of a newer design. Stopped the leak for a year. I don't think its a hard job.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had mine done the dealer said they change the gasket and brass plated bracket. They said they don't change all the lines like they used to. Although the issue hasn't come back I don't know if there has been an actual "fix." It seems like theyre doing like audi normally does. They just replace the parts but don't fix the problem for good.

I don't think its a hard job in itself, however I have a feeling you would need to replace the coolant and maybe the oil. I had my oil done at the same time and I believe they had to top off the coolant but don't know if they had to refill it all the way
Old 03-09-2017, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes they fix the problem...

They wouldn't cover my engine cover issue under warranty, saying it's cosmetic (BS, you can't drive the car without it on, and my issue was that the heat shield had fallen off the engine cover and there wasn't a good fix to keep it on). When I got a new one (over $300) it was completely different on the underside and the heat shield was secured much better to the cover.

That tells me they knew there was a problem and someone fixed it, but they weren't just going to provide the fix to the early release cars.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mihneagabriel
When I had mine done the dealer said they change the gasket and brass plated bracket. They said they don't change all the lines like they used to. Although the issue hasn't come back I don't know if there has been an actual "fix." It seems like theyre doing like audi normally does. They just replace the parts but don't fix the problem for good.

I don't think its a hard job in itself, however I have a feeling you would need to replace the coolant and maybe the oil. I had my oil done at the same time and I believe they had to top off the coolant but don't know if they had to refill it all the way
I ordered the parts and ill be giving it a go myself. I know about the coolant but I'm not sure about the oil. I guess ill find out once i get it done. My local parts store is 5 min away in case i need the oil too. They always cary 0w40.

Originally Posted by mwar99

They wouldn't cover my engine cover issue under warranty, saying it's cosmetic (BS, you can't drive the car without it on, and my issue was that the heat shield had fallen off the engine cover and there wasn't a good fix to keep it on). When I got a new one (over $300) it was completely different on the underside and the heat shield was secured much better to the cover.

That tells me they knew there was a problem and someone fixed it, but they weren't just going to provide the fix to the early release cars.
My heat shield on my engine cover is loose too. Maybe it won't be a problem resecuring it ill have to give it another look
Old 03-09-2017, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99

They replaced my engine cover under warranty. I didn't even know it had fallen apart until they told me they had ordered one for me. I guess some dealers are more reasonable than others. And yes, it was updated to a better design.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the parts and ill be giving it a go myself. I know about the coolant but I'm not sure about the oil. I guess ill find out once i get it done. My local parts store is 5 min away in case i need the oil too. They always cary 0w40.

My heat shield on my engine cover is loose too. Maybe it won't be a problem resecuring it ill have to give it another look

you use 0w40? I thought recommended was 5w30
Old 03-10-2017, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mihneagabriel
you use 0w40? I thought recommended was 5w30
Mobil 1 0W-40 is one of the approved oils for Audi. It's what I use. Better in the cold and better once hot - win win.