S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 vs RS5... any experience with both?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 vs RS5... any experience with both?

Seriously considering swopping my '14 S6 for an RS5. Initial research raised question on why there are SO many pre-owned, low mileage RS5 available. Curious as to any experience with both models and thoughts on why the availability on pre-owned inventory for RS5.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

I said it before and have been chastised. The RS5 was an unimpressive drive coming from my S4 and finally landing on an S6.
The RS5 is super firm, impressively loud exhaust (if that is what you desire) and I'm sure great in the twisties. For myself the interior was no different than the S4/S5 certainly not like the S6 and you had to wring the hell out of the motor to get the most out of it...simply doesn't happen usually. As I'm getting to be older it just didn't fit for me, plus the price was on par with the S6... Not really worth it to me.
I think it would be a fun second car, but then I'd want the convertible which adds cost and reduces performance...
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gk1
I said it before and have been chastised. The RS5 was an unimpressive drive coming from my S4 and finally landing on an S6.
The RS5 is super firm, impressively loud exhaust (if that is what you desire) and I'm sure great in the twisties. For myself the interior was no different than the S4/S5 certainly not like the S6 and you had to wring the hell out of the motor to get the most out of it...simply doesn't happen usually. As I'm getting to be older it just didn't fit for me, plus the price was on par with the S6... Not really worth it to me.
I think it would be a fun second car, but then I'd want the convertible which adds cost and reduces performance...
100% agree, Great car, but the interior is getting dated and you really need to keep the revs up to be rewarded, they are obviously a lot more snug inside and a totally different feel but I prefer the S6.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I owned a 2013 RS5 for 2 years. It can be a daily driver, but it's made for the track. It has 450 hp, but only 313 lb ft of torque, so it must be driven between 5500 and 8300 rpm to enjoy the engine. The exhaust sound with the downshift blip is ferocious for an oem system. I loved it and miss the exhaust sound.

If you get one, I have a custom made subwoofer setup you might want.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Don't do it. Im on my third S6 now and before this one I heavily considered the RS5. Its hands down absolutely gorgeous, but thats where it ends. The interior is really no different than my old(2010) S4 and the engine is not daily drive friendly. If it had some sort of forced induction I would be all over it and I really hope the new version has something like that to be competitive with the new M4. Until then, Im still loving my S6...Until I get the new S6 lol.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The A6/S6 are a HUGE step up from the A4 A5/RS5 in terms of interior appointments and technology. Personally, I could never be happy with an RS5 for that reason alone. It really is time for a refresh.

My mom has an A8 which is her first Audi. She loves it. But when she had service, they gave her an A4 loaner and she couldn't believe it was even made by the same company. She was like WTF is this junk? She told the dealership they are probably hurting future sales by making A8 owners drive those.

Personally, I would get a BMW M3 or M4 over an RS5. BMW does a much better job with the 3 series than Audi does with the A4 or A5. Once you get to the A6/S6, I think Audi takes the lead.... But on the lesser models, BMW takes the prize.
Old 02-19-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by subterFUSE

Personally, I would get a BMW M3 or M4 over an RS5. BMW does a much better job with the 3 series than Audi does with the A4 or A5. Once you get to the A6/S6, I think Audi takes the lead.... But on the lesser models, BMW takes the prize.
The rest of your post makes a lot of sense, but I have to disagree vehemently with the BMW part. The interior of the RS5 compared to a BMW is - well, there really is no comparison. I couldn't imagine an M3/M4 daily driver except for the occasional thumbs up from other BMW fanbois. And then there is the reliability issue. BMW takes care of you for the first 50K (they have to). After that, it's a crap shoot. I have a friend who is the original owner of a 2005 M3. He tracks the car several times a year and pretty much leaves it in the garage otherwise. His wife has a 5 series. They are happy with them, but they have had some hefty repair costs on both.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The loaner car part of the service department leaves much to be desired. I am rocking a 2012 VW Passat while the service department puts some finat touched on the car. In sort, the loaner is a bust but they do a good job and are flexable with my car.

J-

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
The A6/S6 are a HUGE step up from the A4 A5/RS5 in terms of interior appointments and technology. Personally, I could never be happy with an RS5 for that reason alone. It really is time for a refresh.

My mom has an A8 which is her first Audi. She loves it. But when she had service, they gave her an A4 loaner and she couldn't believe it was even made by the same company. She was like WTF is this junk? She told the dealership they are probably hurting future sales by making A8 owners drive those.

Old 02-28-2015, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

We own both in our family, happy to share my experiences if you want to PM me.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RHODEEHO
Seriously considering swopping my '14 S6 for an RS5. Initial research raised question on why there are SO many pre-owned, low mileage RS5 available. Curious as to any experience with both models and thoughts on why the availability on pre-owned inventory for RS5.
Apples and oranges. The RS5 is a very different driving experience. Much more raw, visceral and dynamic. What you give up is comfort, straight line speed/acceleration, interior design and tech.

From a pure driving perspective, I think the RS5 is more fun to drive, but the S6 is a better daily driver. The S6 can excel as an only car, while I think the RS5 makes for a better 2nd toy.

Quick Reply: S6 vs RS5... any experience with both?