S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 vs RS5... any experience with both?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RHODEEHO
Seriously considering swopping my '14 S6 for an RS5. Initial research raised question on why there are SO many pre-owned, low mileage RS5 available. Curious as to any experience with both models and thoughts on why the availability on pre-owned inventory for RS5.
Just curious why you want to replace the '14 S6? Are you finding that the S6 performance is lacking and are hoping to do better with the RS5? Sorry, I can't answer your original question - but I'm interested in moving to a '16 S6, so would be interested in what you feel the S6 is missing.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bradaudi
Just curious why you want to replace the '14 S6? Are you finding that the S6 performance is lacking and are hoping to do better with the RS5? Sorry, I can't answer your original question - but I'm interested in moving to a '16 S6, so would be interested in what you feel the S6 is missing.
I want a coupe and prefer a more rigid drive. The 6 is an awesome car - I had two of them! I ended up getting an RS5 - found a 2015 CPO with very low miles and all the options I wanted so I pulled the trigger. It's now sitting in my garage waiting on Old Man Winter to retire for the season.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

I want a coupe and prefer a more rigid drive. The 6 is an awesome car - I had two of them! I ended up getting an RS5 - found a 2015 CPO with very low miles and all the options I wanted so I pulled the trigger. It's now sitting in my garage waiting on Old Man Winter to retire for the season.
Congratulations! Enjoy the new ride.
Old 06-05-2016, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default RS5 versus S6

I recently was in the market for an RS5. Put a deposit down on one and drove five hours to purchase...except I didn't purchase it. I ended up going with a CPO S6 by shear luck. The RS5 had AWE downpipes and some other mods but unfortunately...the interior was very dated, the tech was lacking, the ride was way too stiff (my wife would not approve), and the engine felt very slow until you got into the top rev ranges. It seems a bit immature as well with the obnoxiously loud exhaust. I had an A6 3.0T with Sport Package that I traded and just couldn't give up the ride comfort, smooth / fast / linear acceleration from the super charger. The S6 is a much better car and it was the same price...with a CPO warranty attached, innovation package, and the beautiful quilted bespoke stitching. For me it was an easy call. The RS5 did look and sound pretty mean though!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RS5 is a gorgeous car. I was seriously considering a RS5 before I bought the S6. As many have said, the interior is dated and the straight line performance is somewhat lacking. If I were looking for a second "fun" car, I'd look elsewhere. There are so many choices that'll blow away the RS5, IMO. For me, the S6 is a good balance between a "fun" car and a daily driver.
Now the R8 V10 Plus would be the ultimate fun car + daily driver! I can always dream, right?

Last edited by luv2sleep; 06-06-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

A bit of an older thread and looks like OP has already made his decision in favor of the RS5. Some of the comments are a bit funny, though, in particular about the dated interior and technology. Unless you have a 2016 S6, the technology in the RS5 and S6 is the same. Exact same MMI, except the S6 has the touchpad and has a more elaborate DIS, but that's it. As far as the rest of the interior goes, that's completely subjective. I much prefer the RS5's interior, because of its cockpit feel and everything being oriented towards the driver. The RS5 is a driver's car, where as the S6 is a family limo. Completely different cars, with different objectives. The S6 falls apart if you want to drive it hard around corners. I drove a 2015 S6 just to see what it's about and I walked away unimpressed. It couldn't even handle a cloverleaf at the speeds I'm usually taking it with the RS5.

Again, it's all about what your needs and wants are. The RS5 is the ultimate all-weather GT. I've been DD'ing mine for over three years and 45k miles. I would personally be bored in an S6, but to each their own. I've said this before. The S6 is designed to take your family from A to B at triple digit speeds on the Autobahn in comfort and little drama and in isolation. The RS5 lets you know that you are driving a car and it's much more involving and raw if you actually like to drive aside from red light to red light spurts, but at the same time it can be a comfortable DD in Comfort or Auto mode and tire pressure set properly to normal load (see user manual) instead of max load specified on the door. Most people don't adjust the tire pressure properly and drive around on rock hard pressure that's designed to hold the weight of the car when fully loaded and not when you are just driving around by yourself.

Last edited by superswiss; 06-06-2016 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
A bit of an older thread and looks like OP has already made his decision in favor of the RS5. Some of the comments are a bit funny, though, in particular about the dated interior and technology. Unless you have a 2016 S6, the technology in the RS5 and S6 is the same. Exact same MMI, except the S6 has the touchpad and has a more elaborate DIS, but that's it. As far as the rest of the interior goes, that's completely subjective. I much prefer the RS5's interior, because of its cockpit feel and everything being oriented towards the driver. The RS5 is a driver's car, where as the S6 is a family limo. Completely different cars, with different objectives. The S6 falls apart if you want to drive it hard around corners. I drove a 2015 S6 just to see what it's about and I walked away unimpressed. It couldn't even handle a cloverleaf at the speeds I'm usually taking it with the RS5.

Again, it's all about what your needs and wants are. The RS5 is the ultimate all-weather GT. I've been DD'ing mine for over three years and 45k miles. I would personally be bored in an S6, but to each their own. I've said this before. The S6 is designed to take your family from A to B at triple digit speeds on the Autobahn in comfort and little drama and in isolation. The RS5 lets you know that you are driving a car and it's much more involving and raw if you actually like to drive aside from red light to red light spurts, but at the same time it can be a comfortable DD in Comfort or Auto mode and tire pressure set properly to normal load (see user manual) instead of max load specified on the door. Most people don't adjust the tire pressure properly and drive around on rock hard pressure that's designed to hold the weight of the car when fully loaded and not when you are just driving around by yourself.

OP here. I did trade my S6 for the RS5. And, after 10K miles driven in the RS5, I've never regretted the decision.

And, FWIW, OP is a 45YO married mother of 2 sons. Not a "he" as indicated above.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

And, FWIW, OP is a 45YO married mother of 2 sons. Not a "he" as indicated above.
Even better
Old 06-14-2016, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default S6 vs RS5... any experience with both?

I also looked at both but to me the dated interior of the RS5 was a deal breaker. Looks like an update is finally coming next year, at least for the A5....

Refreshing or Revolting: 2018 Audi A5 - Motor Trend
Old 06-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Marc Kaplan
I also looked at both but to me the dated interior of the RS5 was a deal breaker. Looks like an update is finally coming next year, at least for the A5....

Refreshing or Revolting: 2018 Audi A5 - Motor Trend
Not much of a change - more of a tweak than an update on the exterior lines. Not loving the trapezoid grille design nor the interior cockpit... That shifter?? UGH.