S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 vs X5M

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 vs X5M

Hello,

I am in the market for a new car, either the S6 or X5M. My current car is a 2014 640i Gran Coupe that I got in April 2014, although it has been a great car to drive that is beautiful to look it, it is a bit of a problem to park because it's size (19ft long, wide and very low), and I have got bored of driving it because of it's size.

I'm considering the S6 because it is a great daily car with a great power. I can always go for an 650i or an M5, but I want to try the S6 because of its understated looks and it I want to try the Audi brand. Plus I can get out of my current lease and get a great deal on an S6, only problem is the waiting.

However, the reason I want the X5M is because I don't have to worry about low curbs, and the trunk space is plenty, and I can fit four normal sized adults, or kids in the back. It is super fast, and BMW's lease so much better than Audi's. These also have the same wait time as the S6, and not many dealers have them in stock for a test drive.

If you had the choice, which would you go for? I originally wanted to buy a G63 but I realized it isn't a smart choice spending close to $2,800 a month on one single car.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

X5M lease would be around $1400~ a month for fully loaded.

I can get an S6 for around $1000~ a month with my build spec.

M5 can be had for around $1000~ a month fully loaded.

M6 Gran Coupe can be had for $1400~ a month fully loaded.

I want something smaller, and don't really care to get the highest HP car. I am most likely to keep either car for at least three years, so I need something where I can transport my family(kid) around, and the M5/M6 give the most bang for the buck, but they aren't family friendly.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just got rid of my Porsche Macan because it felt too big. I remember when I looked at the X5M it felt even bigger. The S6 is a completely different driving experience: Sedan > SUV.

However, I'm not really an SUV person to begin with. Given the choice, I'd take a Macan Turbo over an X5M if you don't need the extra back seat space. If you can make do with less HP in the Macan S, the lease on that would be less than the cars you're considering. I bought mine fairly loaded @$64k.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am not a fan of the Macan S, it is nice, but it felt boring to drive, and boring to be in.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mrslowly
I am not a fan of the Macan S, it is nice, but it felt boring to drive, and boring to be in.
That's partially why I sold it Try the Turbo? The turbo felt more fun to me than the X5M.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Only Porsche I would get is a GT3, not a fan of the Macan.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrslowly
Only Porsche I would get is a GT3, not a fan of the Macan.
Surprised you haven't considered the super gorgeous S7 with it's spacious trunk and practical powered hatch, same power drivetrain as the S6 and about the same exterior dimensions too.

Though we all understand looks' subjective.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

In that price range have you considered the S8 or Cayenne GTS?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

S8 is too big, and new GTS has the same motor as the Macan.

Local dealership got in a used S7 and went to go drive it to get a feel for it, but the salesperson had an attitude with me about driving it. Said that the '16 S7 and '14 S7 are going to be different. He said I would be much happier with the A7. I told him if he doesn't want me to drive the car than I am more than happy not to, and I'll just go get something from BMW if this is the way Audi treats customers, he started to back peddle, and I said a few more things and he got quiet. I told him if I wanted to drive the new A7 I would had asked for that. After I drove it I told him thanks for his time, and he asked if I wanted to talk numbers but I told him I rather give another dealership the sale.

Anyway, I loved the way the car drove! The air suspension on it makes it so much more fun to drive because you don't feel every single bump in the road. It drove so smooth and the power delivery is great. Now I just need to figure out a way to get out of my current car.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

The engine in the Cayenne GTS is NOT the same as the one in the Macan!!! The GTS has a 440 BHP / 442 lb-ft powerplant while the Macan Turbo has a 400 BHP / 406 lb-ft and the Macan S uses a 340 BHP / 339 lb-ft engine. The dsplacement of the Macan S is 3.0l while the Macan Turbo and GTS are both 3.6l.

Quick Reply: S6 vs X5M