S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Standard exhaust and sport exhaust

Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Standard exhaust and sport exhaust

Hello, everyone.
I am living in Canada, and driving a 2017 S6. I don't know what's the reason that Canadian version cannot get the sport exhaust as an option. So I have a question. What is the exact different between two sets of exhaust (the standard exhaust and sport exhaust) ? Is it the differences on the resonators/mufflers? or the ECU setting? What makes the bangs and pops sounds?
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails Standard exhaust and sport exhaust-dsc_4734.jpg  
Old 02-14-2017, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Unfortunately I don't honestly know, though I would wager a guess that the mufflers are slightly different (couldn't imagine they changed the cats or resonators).

I have the sport exhaust and removed the resonator (closest to the mufflers) and replaced it with an X-pipe. The sound is incredible and probably 20-25% louder than the "stock" sport exhaust. I would guess you could do the same with the non-sport exhaust.

Not much help, but an idea.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6er
Unfortunately I don't honestly know, though I would wager a guess that the mufflers are slightly different (couldn't imagine they changed the cats or resonators).

I have the sport exhaust and removed the resonator (closest to the mufflers) and replaced it with an X-pipe. The sound is incredible and probably 20-25% louder than the "stock" sport exhaust. I would guess you could do the same with the non-sport exhaust.

Thank you for your answer. Actually I am planning to do this mod in this two days. But what i want the most is let the exhaust has "bangs and pops" sounds.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackCheung
But what i want the most is let the exhaust has "bangs and pops" sounds.
Unfortunately, this effect is done through software (allowing fuel to be injected during the exhaust cycle). A free-flowing exhaust will maximize what you can hear, but it can't amplify what isn't there. I think you're SOL.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
Unfortunately, this effect is done through software (allowing fuel to be injected during the exhaust cycle). A free-flowing exhaust will maximize what you can hear, but it can't amplify what isn't there. I think you're SOL.
So, which car will have that software?
Old 02-21-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JackCheung
So, which car will have that software?
AFAIK, the facelifted model (2016+), when it offered a sport exhaust option. My 2013, for instance, has no over-run burble that I can discern.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
AFAIK, the facelifted model (2016+), when it offered a sport exhaust option. My 2013, for instance, has no over-run burble that I can discern.
So, my car is MY17 w/o the sport exhaust.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A6er

Tried it on my '13 with normal exhaust, not satisfied, it probably increased it by 5-10% MAX.

Perhaps its only good for sport exhausts..

I have a question, can the tuners like APR EPL or REVO add that pops and burble via their tunes?
Old 03-04-2017, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have MY16 with sport exhaust. I think the right amount of rumble is generated during acceleration along with the requisite "burbles". I see so many owners looking for more sound but I think my setup is just right for the sophisticated nature of the car. It is such a personal thing though. To each his own!
Old 10-24-2022, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very old thread but almost relevant to my question.

Can anyone tell me how a buyer can confirm a B8 has the sport exhaust?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standard exhaust and sport exhaust