S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Swap S6 Grill for 2013 RS6 Grill?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if there is a specific purpose for the dark gray/black solid rectangular part where the license plate affixes to the grill? Or is it just aesthetics? Can it be removed fairly easily? I personally don't love the look of it and would prefer it wasn't there since it seems to break-up the front grill appearance. And I will not have a license plate, so I like a cleaner look there. The piece is more prominent on the S6/S7 than the A6/A7, where it seems to be darker or more recessed. And it appears to be non existent on the RS7/RS6 Avant.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4rx3
Does anyone know if there is a specific purpose for the dark gray/black solid rectangular part where the license plate affixes to the grill? Or is it just aesthetics? Can it be removed fairly easily? I personally don't love the look of it and would prefer it wasn't there since it seems to break-up the front grill appearance. And I will not have a license plate, so I like a cleaner look there. The piece is more prominent on the S6/S7 than the A6/A7, where it seems to be darker or more recessed. And it appears to be non existent on the RS7/RS6 Avant.
That grey block in the S6 grill is a fused component of the grill. I agree, I don't care for the S6/S7 grill design. Hence the thread....The RS6/RS7 grills eliminate this "feature" and create a seamless honeycomb appearance, with the silver (or carbon fiber) lower trim detail (which I do like..)
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The piece you reference helps to visually break up the Audi "horse collar" grille, so it's okay in my book. It also seems to house two parking sensors, so I doubt you could remove it, even with surgery.

Last edited by DeerHunter; 01-15-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had a new S6 I would be all over that grill. Love the looks.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
That grey block in the S6 grill is a fused component of the grill. I agree, I don't care for the S6/S7 grill design. Hence the thread....The RS6/RS7 grills eliminate this "feature" and create a seamless honeycomb appearance, with the silver (or carbon fiber) lower trim detail (which I do like..)
My assumption is that it hides the bumper. The A6 grill has the same thing, but it is painted gloss black to match the grill. I like the S6 grill, other than the gray part. Much better than the solid black on the A6. That reminds me too much of a Crown Victoria police car or a taxi. I agree that the RS grill with out the "bumper" showing is much more attractive.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just checking to see if anyone found out any info about completing switching the RS6 grill into the S6. I am a ways out from delivery, but would love to make this swap.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thebossbot
Just checking to see if anyone found out any info about completing switching the RS6 grill into the S6. I am a ways out from delivery, but would love to make this swap.
HyperS4 -- we are all waiting for your guidance on this one.. ;-)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
HyperS4 -- we are all waiting for your guidance on this one.. ;-)
You, me and everybody. I have my parts guru looking into it. The problem is the RS7 isnt in our system here yet and the RS6 is a Euro-only model so finding Euro part numbers is a bit trickier. I hope to have something to report back with though.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Once I have a part number, Im going to be all over this.
This would be a cool mod

Originally Posted by HyperS4
You, me and everybody. I have my parts guru looking into it. The problem is the RS7 isnt in our system here yet and the RS6 is a Euro-only model so finding Euro part numbers is a bit trickier. I hope to have something to report back with though.
I have ordered some items from dealers (BMW & Audi) in the UK before and some of them (BMW) won't give you the part number, but I was still able to order the part

Last edited by manishaudi; 01-29-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Ok, my parts manager gave me a sheet with about 25 possible grill numbers. Ugh...

Quick Reply: Swap S6 Grill for 2013 RS6 Grill?