S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

T-Mobile Downgrading S6 Data Connections?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 08:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Mobile Downgrading S6 Data Connections?

So I just received an letter from T-Mobile regarding the data plan that I have on my 2013 S6. In the letter, they inform me that they are making upgrades to their network that will result in my connection being slower. Apparently, they are going to a predominately LTE cell system, leaving those of us with 3G modems in our cars out of luck and forced to use the glacial 2G network.

Has anyone else received such a letter? Also does anyone know if there's an upgrade path for those of us (2013 and 14 model years, I think) whose cars came with 3G hardware and were limited to T-Mobile (in the US)?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by diverdan
So I just received an letter from T-Mobile regarding the data plan that I have on my 2013 S6. In the letter, they inform me that they are making upgrades to their network that will result in my connection being slower. Apparently, they are going to a predominately LTE cell system, leaving those of us with 3G modems in our cars out of luck and forced to use the glacial 2G network.

Has anyone else received such a letter? Also does anyone know if there's an upgrade path for those of us (2013 and 14 model years, I think) whose cars came with 3G hardware and were limited to T-Mobile (in the US)?
If this is true Audi better come out with a plug-and-play LTE upgrade module for our systems. These cars are nearly still new and a key feature would be impacted...
Old 01-28-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

This has been discussed at length for a while now. There's a long thread in the A6 forum. Do a search. T-Mobile is changing their frequency bands. They are doing this market by market. Several markets have already gone through this change and folks have been getting letters and have taken their cars to the dealer to get the cellular radio replaced with a new one that supports the new frequencies and restores 3G service. It also adds support for AT&T and the faster 3G networks HSPA and HSPA+.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 S6

Are they offering to rebate the remaining contract money? I am in NJ and have yet to receive such notice. Has anybody contacted Audi?

Originally Posted by diverdan

Old 01-28-2016, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DD1546
Are they offering to rebate the remaining contract money? I am in NJ and have yet to receive such notice. Has anybody contacted Audi?
No rebate or refund. It's stated in the T-Mobile agreement that nothing is refundable. See my post above. Audi offers a hardware replacement to restore service.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For those who haven't received a follow up letter from Audi yet, you should be getting a letter like this one. But if you don't wanna wait for it, just call AoA and they'll get you squared away.

Page 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_P...ew?usp=sharing

Page 2
Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

I've been using an AT&T card in my 2014 S6. It's $10 a month (like an iPad plan) added to my phone plan and uses the shared data in the plan.

Everything works at 3G speeds and the only thing you can't do is access it from the Audi website to download trip route info to the car.

I can also pop the AT&T card into my 2013 Q5 and it works in it without any configuring.

While it's still quicker to access weather, gas prices and news on a phone, I find having the google search function right there on the car screen worth the $10 a month for the plan.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tmiele
Everything works at 3G speeds and the only thing you can't do is access it from the Audi website to download trip route info to the car.
This works fine if you created your myAudi account while you still had a T-Mobile subscription. My understanding is that now you need to provide the IMEI to create the account and if you don't have an active official subscription you can't create the account.

I've been using AT&T for about a year now and everything works, including the Audi MMI Connect app that allows me to send calendar appointment locations to the MMI for navigation.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
For those who haven't received a follow up letter from Audi yet, you should be getting a letter like this one. But if you don't wanna wait for it, just call AoA and they'll get you squared away.

Page 1

Page 2
Of course, that's assuming one is located in one of the affected markets. If not, the dealer will not be authorized to make the change nor have the documentation or parts available. It will take some time for T-Mobile to change the 3G bands in all regions across the country.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm also paying $10/month for a T-Mobile SIM tacked onto my family's phone plan. Works fine after the dealer upgraded the car's radio to restore 3G speeds (at no charge).

Quick Reply: T-Mobile Downgrading S6 Data Connections?