S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Thinking of getting an 2017 S6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting an 2017 S6

Hey all, former owner of multiple Audis here. Thinking of getting an S6 to replace my C7 ZO6. That way I could dispense with my 2015 Golf GTI as well. I have not been super happy with the ZO6. It was delivered new with all four tires pointing in different directions. The steering feel is just awful. It gives lots of feedback. But a lot of the feedback is stuff you don't want. The ride is terrible and the noise even with the exhaust in quiet mode is obnoxious. The tires are louder than my Golf. I want a fast car with German precision that doesn't make me pay for it all the time. My Golf has been AWESOME so that got me thinking Audi.

What do I need to know before jumping in? I have been reading the threads here to try to gain perspective. It seems like bent wheels and flat tires are an issue? What are some things that you wish you knew beforehand?

How useful is the HUD for those that have it?

What's the widest tire wheel combo I can run for aggressive driving without rubbing? Is 275/35R20 on 20x9.5 ET40 possible? Or should I drop down to a 265/35R20 with the same wheel?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but thanks in advance!!!

Eric
Old 10-11-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by -Eric-
Hey all, former owner of multiple Audis here. Thinking of getting an S6 to replace my C7 ZO6. That way I could dispense with my 2015 Golf GTI as well. I have not been super happy with the ZO6. It was delivered new with all four tires pointing in different directions. The steering feel is just awful. It gives lots of feedback. But a lot of the feedback is stuff you don't want. The ride is terrible and the noise even with the exhaust in quiet mode is obnoxious. The tires are louder than my Golf. I want a fast car with German precision that doesn't make me pay for it all the time. My Golf has been AWESOME so that got me thinking Audi.

What do I need to know before jumping in? I have been reading the threads here to try to gain perspective. It seems like bent wheels and flat tires are an issue? What are some things that you wish you knew beforehand?

How useful is the HUD for those that have it?

What's the widest tire wheel combo I can run for aggressive driving without rubbing? Is 275/35R20 on 20x9.5 ET40 possible? Or should I drop down to a 265/35R20 with the same wheel?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but thanks in advance!!!

Eric
Welcome to the forum and here are some threads regarding the same topic you've asked about:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...dvice-2896067/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...c7-s6-2904616/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...laced-2896614/

The SEARCH function on the forum is a great tool.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the HUD wouldn't want to do without it.

I have the 20" wheels and have had 2 bent. If in an area where lots of potholes I would make sure I have wheel insurance if go with 20" (which looks wise I like much better).

I went with the cold weather package giving me heated steering wheel and rear seats. I don't drive enough in cold weather and keep in in garage so I kinda wish I had left that package off and then had the flat bottom steering wheel as it just gives a little extra to the cabin look S6 from an A6. But if I used it a lot in cold weather I would stick with cold weather package.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

I test drove 3 S6's. It's funny I was looking to keep the sticker price around 85K, So one of the things I ruled out was the HUD. Mostly because it DID NOT "give a little extra to the cabin look" ....it looks awful, a lot of independent reviews talk about it looking huge and outa-place. So I was not sure if the functionality outweighed the HUGE presence of that mound on the dash.
I have not run into broken or bent wheels yet, just a tire puncture.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks Raj99, cbl1, and MikeS6. I appreciate your feedback!
Old 10-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by raj99
Welcome to the forum and here are some threads regarding the same topic you've asked about:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...dvice-2896067/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...c7-s6-2904616/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s6-...laced-2896614/

The SEARCH function on the forum is a great tool.

I agree SEARCH is great (Is that something that has to be capitalized now?) However, I think your comment is a bit trite.

I actually do appreciate those threads you listed as they could be genuinely helpful but I have already read those threads. I did mention that I have been reading around the forum. Maybe I have already absorbed most of what I am going to be able to find here. Anyway, thanks for digging those threads up.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Eric, the car is amazing. You step on the gas and you instantly smile. If you've read the forums, I can't remember if I've said this here so I'll repeat it even if I risk being trite... The car is a perfect balance of power, luxury, sleeper-looks, and it has all that safety and technology.

Where do you live Eric? I'm curious.

Last edited by MikeS6; 10-11-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Eric, the car is amazing. You step on the gas and you instantly smile.........
Well with the stage 1 ECU/TCU tune in sport mode, my 2016 S6 is a lot more fun. With the sport option exhaust & a tune in sport/dynamic mode, it sounds like a muffled 8.0L V8, when I get heavy on the throttle.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

The Eurocode front/rear sway bars and end links are a nice addition which helps a lot keeping the S6 flatter on the road when turning corners. The sport (package) differential helps one accelerate, at speed out of a turn, such as a cloverleaf.

I went with 19x8.5", ET=38 wheels with 255/40R19 99Y tires, to limit pothole damage on our lousy roads.

The driver assistance package is nice on crowded freeways with the adaptive cruise control.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is understated - stealth even - right up until you give it the beans.

Then its off the races and you do nothing but smile...

WELL worth the stealth IMO to then be able to unleash, as the Sith Lord suggests.....

"unlimited power!!!!!"

Give it a go - you wont be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting an 2017 S6