S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Thinking of getting an 2017 S6

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are all VERY persuasive! It seems like this is the car I need to be driving. It's more my style. I love stealthy performance.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely thinking about sway bars as well. I love to be able to adjust the handling balance of my cars to my liking.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would've thought that the C7 Z06 is the bomb! From reading your post, it seems like a let down. I seriously considered the Z06 but the C7 version wasn't out yet. Besides, I couldn't justify a 2 door sports car since I still have children that I need to drive around, every once in a while when the wife is busy.
If you want explosive, you may want to check out the RS7. I don't really care for the looks of the "7" but if you want a everyday "almost supercar" sleeper sedan, the RS7 will keep you happy. I personally love my S6, especially with a ECU&TCU tune. This sleeper is a fine balance between a luxury sedan and a speed demon; it's like a sexy athletic business woman who can let her hair down and dance like Coyote Ugly!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I would've thought that the C7 Z06 is the bomb! From reading your post, it seems like a let down. I seriously considered the Z06 but the C7 version wasn't out yet. Besides, I couldn't justify a 2 door sports car since I still have children that I need to drive around, every once in a while when the wife is busy.
If you want explosive, you may want to check out the RS7. I don't really care for the looks of the "7" but if you want a everyday "almost supercar" sleeper sedan, the RS7 will keep you happy. I personally love my S6, especially with a ECU&TCU tune. This sleeper is a fine balance between a luxury sedan and a speed demon; it's like a sexy athletic business woman who can let her hair down and dance like Coyote Ugly!

Where can I find a woman like this? LOL
Old 10-12-2016, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thehaviet
Where can I find a woman like this? LOL
I sometimes find them around 2AM...in REM sleep!
Old 10-12-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I sometimes find them around 2AM...in REM sleep!

Dude.... I just love you. You're the best man.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a love-hate relationship with my ZO6. The exhaust sounds awesome til your ear drums start to bleed. There is absolutely no sound deadening material at all. It has unbelievable grip in cornering and braking that you can't really use anywhere but a track and an occasional round about when no one is around. You pay for all of that grip in that the car wanders all over the road like a punch drunk boxer who's about to fall down.

The steering feel is terrible. Don't believe the journalist hype, remember that they're journalism experts not car experts. Unless you're on a racetrack you get all sorts of feedback through the wheel that you DON'T want. I constantly have to steer a little left a little right a little left and so on. The steering just feels generally nasty and inconsistent. None of the EPS settings really work well. Even the non-ZO7 version is really only a track car. That's it.

Anyway, if you live somewhere that the roads are glass smooth you might not find the car as flawed as I. But you're still going to end up with hearing loss and a pulverized spine. Did I mention the car is stiff? Oh, but you can soften the shocks with touring mode, then the car floats around like a 1992 Lincoln Town Car. Great.

Maybe I'm just getting old. Or maybe it's that I spent so much time at the track over the years and after I am done for the day I want to hop in something more comfortable. I have been teaching high-performance driving for the last 10 years and so I spend most days in a training vehicle getting beat up flying around the track.

But back to the S6. So how do you feel about the car after an ECU / TCU tune vs. the RS7? I have seen some pretty impressive results from folks with APR stage 2 and the tcu tune + decent tires. the 1/4 mph is typically a few miles off my current car but the E.T. is right there with it DEAD EVEN. I also suspect with a little work I could get the S6 up to around 1.0G cornering (tires and wheels / a little suspension work) Seems VERY compelling.

Now I have driven an S6 at the dealer but not in anger. I really expect that due to the stable handling and predictable nature of Audis that the S6 could actually be a faster back road car in the real world than the C7 ZO6. In fact I think that the truth is my old 2004 WRX STi after a little bit of modding was a faster back road car than the ZO6. For some reason, I just see the S6 as a bigger faster grippier higher quality more luxurious STi. (Like a WRX STi for adults) but without all the ornamentation.

Anyway, I'm with you I prefer the clean conservative look of the S6 to the S7. But the S7 can hide more tire under it's wheel arches. I'm thinking I may have a new car around the 22nd.

Thanks again everyone for the feedback!!!!
Old 10-12-2016, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

If you want more power in the S6, the stage 2 downpipes add a little response in the low end and the RS7 turbos and stage 3 tune will add more top end to the S6.

Stage 1 https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_40tfsi_c75s6s7.html

Stage 2 https://www.goapr.com/products/apr_exhaust_cast_downpipe_40t.html

Stage 3 https://www.goapr.com/products/turbo_long_40tfsi_c7s6s7.html

The main difference compared the S6 power train is the RS7 has a different block (larger main journal) and lower static compression, in addition to the 8speed ZF 8HP transmission with a torque converter (torque multiplication up to stall speed) for better off idle acceleration than the S6 double clutch 7 speed DSG.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Dude.... I just love you. You're the best man.
Ya like that?!
Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

-Eric-
I don't track cars; I'm just your average street punk. I have more fun going in a straight line than taking corners. If I had a 2 door supercar, I may track it but will still be a street punk for the most part.
A properly tuned S6 can beat a stock RS7 (0-60, 1/4 mile etc.) but most RS7s out there are tuned so a tuned S6/7 (stage 2 & 3) cannot touch a tuned RS7. There's more discussion regarding this topic here and even more on Audizine.
I'm not the guy to talk to about suspensions as I am happy with what the car comes with. I have the sports differential option on my car and I like the feature. It's automatically actuated at high rates of turn by whipping the rear end around corners (sort of like castering wheels). Some folks have put aftermarket sway bars, slightly wider tires, etc. for better handling. The S6 being a pretty heavy 4 door sedan, I don't think there's much you can do to improve handling without sacrificing the ride. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting an 2017 S6