S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

what are adaptive brake lights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

It probably uses an accelerometer. I'm certain you must be braking very aggressively to trigger it... near the verge of lock up.

If you ever watch Top Gear (UK), you can see many cars (all price ranges) have this feature. Maybe it's a European regulation? The cars typically flash lights at each corner of the car (think of our 4 way flashers).
Old 03-25-2014, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
It probably uses an accelerometer. I'm certain you must be braking very aggressively to trigger it... near the verge of lock up.

If you ever watch Top Gear (UK), you can see many cars (all price ranges) have this feature. Maybe it's a European regulation? The cars typically flash lights at each corner of the car (think of our 4 way flashers).
The EU flashes only the brake lights at the rear including the CHMSL. 4 way flashers are always amber in the EU and therefore not indicative of braking.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
4 way flashers are always amber in the EU and therefore not indicative of braking.

Clarification:

I'm referring to the front amber lights that flash under heavy braking. They must be flashing in conjunction with the rear lights. I recall seeing these mainly on Asian cars they test. When viewed from the front, it looks like the 4 way flashers have been engaged while the car is under heavy braking.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is this going mainstream in the USA ?

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...2_porsche_911/

See video @ 1:42
Old 03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default VW implementation:

Well I had the opportunity to stop emergently the other day--I drove around a bend towards an intersection, and a driver in a Mazda 3 didn't see me coming, and tried to make a left turn in front of me. I hit the brakes hard, and ABS kicked in for a split second, and I was able to stop in time.

I had turned on the "hazard light w/ABS function" in VCDS a while ago but this was the first time I witnessed it in action.

The hazard lights came on, but unlike my Jetta, they stayed on until I switched them off with the hazard light switch.

Seems like a good idea to keep the hazards going, especially in my situation, where I was at a full stop and cars may have been coming around the bend, not expecting a car fully stopped in the road.
and

Look at the BCM - address 09

Byte 16

Bit 1 is for brake light flashing

Bit 2 is for turn signal flashing.

I have both activated, but have yet to see the turns flash.

Got to brake harder......
Old 03-25-2014, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rickymp
Can you get oil temp and turbo boost with vag com?
I've been enable to turn on the "lap timer" function on my '11 A4...that yields your oil temp readout.

This used to work for watching boost and other stuff. You'd have to download and try it:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-scope/index.html

Old 03-25-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have never seen the front flashers come on under braking in EU so have others seen it especially in Asia?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
and
I VAGed Bit 1 but not 2 so will the Bit 2 make the front ones flash?

I have done a lot of research on VAG-COM but although you get the programming instructions, it is difficult to get info on what to expect if you change an option.
It is also difficult to learn what is available because of the different years, models and options. Obviously I started looking in the A6 forum but it turns out that the codes are common across numerous platforms etc..
Old 03-25-2014, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DB22
I VAGed Bit 1 but not 2 so will the Bit 2 make the front ones flash?

I have done a lot of research on VAG-COM but although you get the programming instructions, it is difficult to get info on what to expect if you change an option.
It is also difficult to learn what is available because of the different years, models and options. Obviously I started looking in the A6 forum but it turns out that the codes are common across numerous platforms etc..
I haven't tinkered with that but I believe I set the adaptive brake lights on both our cars. I've never noticed them activating

Those notes I posted are for a VW Jetta.

yeah, I hear ya in terms of not comprehending fully what the outcome might be. That's why I tinker with much caution and have a full scan of my cars saved to a txt file before any tinkering begins
Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Thank for the good info. I usually tap the brake pedal several times when I predict trouble ahead on the highway. I did it yesterday when traveling near the Rochester NY airport that is known for white outs from blowing snow and saw many brake lights ahead. A RIT student lost her life in a multi-car accident in the same area a few winters ago.
Another safety measure is, with your low beams on, to hit the 'rear fog light' button. I've driven into rainstorms on the interstate where you can't see five feet in front of you. I'm always aware that someone could plow into me. That little bit of extra light will shine a bit further when your not blinking or hitting the brake lights.

Quick Reply: what are adaptive brake lights?