S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Wheel / Tire sizing question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel / Tire sizing question...

I managed to buy a brand new pair of 19" OEM 5 arm rotors that look like they came stock with an B8/ S4 (19x8.5J ET43)
I bought these because I want to put snow tires on them and use them for my snow tires and keep the same OEM look in winter.

am I going to have a problem fitting the rotors and calipers with these wheels? any suggestions on tires that would fit the tires and my S6?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The proper tire size to match stock would be 255/40-19.

The good news is ET43 is 2mm outward compared to stock, but it also depends on the shape of the spokes. Your best bet is to test fit one on the front to make sure you've got clearance as I've not heard of anyone else using those wheels on the S6. You don't need to have a tire on it, but you will need to rotate the wheel.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the quick response! I was looking for a tire that kept the summer OEM look for my winter tires... Ill post pics if it all works... i got confused because reason i chose 19" was to be able to have a thicker/deeper snow tire in awful chicago winters here. That tire size would be better performing than a 20" snow tire which I had last winter!

Originally Posted by RobC
The proper tire size to match stock would be 255/40-19.

The good news is ET43 is 2mm outward compared to stock, but it also depends on the shape of the spokes. Your best bet is to test fit one on the front to make sure you've got clearance as I've not heard of anyone else using those wheels on the S6. You don't need to have a tire on it, but you will need to rotate the wheel.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ChicagoS6
a brand new pair of 19" OEM 5 arm rotors that look like they came stock with an B8/ S4 (19x8.5J ET43)
I bought these because I want to put snow tires on them and use them for my snow tires and keep the same OEM look in winter.
Do you already have another pair of 19" wheels kicking around? I shudder at the thought of putting 2 snow tires on an AWD vehicle....
Old 08-25-2014, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I meant to say i bought a SET of FOUR 19" rotor OEM tires for my car... lol here is page you can see them.. pretty much identical to our 20" rotors

Audi OEM Wheels

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Do you already have another pair of 19" wheels kicking around? I shudder at the thought of putting 2 snow tires on an AWD vehicle....
Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

the rear will probably clear forsure, the fronts you might have a problem with. I had a set of 19" tri 5 spokes I need to use as a roller and they didn't clear the front calipers, would have needed like a 10mm spacer. like robc said, put the wheel on the front, see if anything hits the brake caliper.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And speaking of spacers, you could easily fit a 20mm spacer and not have rubbing problems with the fender.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Question for any of you guys about "SPACERS"... is there ANY negative for using spacers when installing a set of winter tires? It doesnt affect performance or nothing right? Just helps tire fit better?

Originally Posted by RobC
And speaking of spacers, you could easily fit a 20mm spacer and not have rubbing problems with the fender.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ChicagoS6
Question for any of you guys about "SPACERS"... is there ANY negative for using spacers when installing a set of winter tires? It doesnt affect performance or nothing right? Just helps tire fit better?
1) They move the wheel outward, which affects:
a) suspension geometry
b) body clearance

2) They provide an arguably weaker connection between the wheel and hub as you have 3 pieces bolted together vs just 2. Using correspondingly longer bolts might improve this slightly.

With all that said, *LOTS* of people run spacers without issue - #1b (body clearance) is what most cite as an issue if anything. It's not something I'd personally choose, but I'm decidedly **** about such things
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info man... ill try and take one of the rims to tire place and see if they clear the rotors / calipers without spacers.

Would hate to order snow tires and and then figure out in winter all this $ was wasted for nothing

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
1) They move the wheel outward, which affects:
a) suspension geometry
b) body clearance

2) They provide an arguably weaker connection between the wheel and hub as you have 3 pieces bolted together vs just 2. Using correspondingly longer bolts might improve this slightly.

With all that said, *LOTS* of people run spacers without issue - #1b (body clearance) is what most cite as an issue if anything. It's not something I'd personally choose, but I'm decidedly **** about such things

Quick Reply: Wheel / Tire sizing question...