S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Winter Setup Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Setup Help!

So I just bought a 2013 Audi S6 and winter is here and I am behind, I live in Albany, NY and was wondering if you people could give me some recommendations. I would like to go down to 19s because my stocks are 20 right now, and it does not really make sense to me if I choose to stay the same size and buy wheels for winter.

My suggestion:
Wheels: Verde Saga in black
Size: 20 x 8.5
Price Per: $183.00
Tires: Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
Size: 255 / 35R20
Price Per: 285.50
TOTAL: $1,874.00
Old 11-28-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Usually downsizing is recommended for a winter set up but you are limited due to the S6 front brake caliper size. Check the classified ads here and on Audizine.

edit: here's a set of 19" OEM rims with tires for $700.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par...tires-2907024/
Old 11-28-2016, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

D Patel95,

Hey man, I just C&P'ed this from the Winter tire thread. Special Thanks to Saxon, he linked an AMAZING option for wheels at an unbeatable price ($595 all 4 Wheels, Free Shipping). I went a bit higher end on the tires, and so far I'm very impressed, and happy. The higher sidewall of course makes the ride so much more wallowed.

Well I went ahead and purchased my Winter set-up:

Tires:
MICHELIN
PILOT ALPIN PA4

Wheels:
https://www.usarim.com/19-inch-audi-...nmetal-wheels/

Thanks to everyone who posted info!! Now I just need to see if the center caps are the Audi Replica caps or not. I'll Let you guys know how I feel about the setup, etc.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the help @mikes6 but unfortunately the setup you have is unavailable, i tried getting those wheels from that website.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Personally, I'd go one section width narrower than OEM for the best traction from your winter set up - so 245s instead of 255s. I bought 255s and sort of wish I hadn't. They're fine, but not as good as the 245s I ran on my previous S4...
Old 11-30-2016, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

The width of the tires greatly affects the handling and control of the vehicle in ALL situations except for snow accumulation driving. As I understand it, both in the S6 and especially the S7 the width of the tires have improved the handling of both vehicles even though most of the engine is hanging over the front axial. These cars are kinda "well known" for having issues with understeer due to the weight of the engine hanging over that front axial. Wider tires tends to counter that issue. That being said, Yes, for direct snow driving it's not good but considering that 95% of my winter driving would be on dry or wet COLD cleared roads, I felt this tire was the best solution.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Nobody does any "performance driving" in those temps/conditions anyway, rendering the wider tire advantage moot.

The slight tradeoff in ultimate dry grip isn't something you'll notice day to day, but the snowplow effect of the wider tires in accumulating snow is the opposite of what you want when it's snowing...

Speaking here as a 6-time Audi owner from the snowy Midwest...
Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T
Nobody does any "performance driving" in those temps/conditions anyway, rendering the wider tire advantage moot.

The slight tradeoff in ultimate dry grip isn't something you'll notice day to day, but the snowplow effect of the wider tires in accumulating snow is the opposite of what you want when it's snowing...

Speaking here as a 6-time Audi owner from the snowy Midwest...

LOL. Do you live in Alaska?

First of all I never said anything about "Performance Driving", I used the word "handling", and to be totally honest that's a rather conservative term/word to use.

Second of all, I pointed out an estimate percentage of driving as to why I felt that a OEM tire width (255's) is not necessarily a bad choice for a winter tire.(95% Cold [below 40] Dry or Wet, and assumingly 5% Snow Sleet/Slush driving)

I was merely trying to convey that considering how little most of use "Plow - through" snow on a regular basis, a winter performance tire with OEM width might be a good choice. I will acknowledge that generally speaking a smaller tire diameter and a slimmer width is best for snow driving, but how offered do you actually drive over snow for the entirety of your 1/2 hour commute to work?

The simple fact is most of ALL of our winter driving is on clear dry or wet roads below the temperature of 40 Degrees. Considering you have about 490 horses under your right foot. Its good to at least try and maintain the driving dynamics in the S6 in the winter, with the best overall tire choice.

Should we start talking about connecting a plow to the front of our S6's as well?
Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MikeS6
...Considering you have about 490 horses under your right foot. Its good to at least try and maintain the driving dynamics in the S6 in the winter, with the best overall tire choice...
So then we can agree to disagree on what the "best" overall tire choice is for winter conditions.

Never had any dry/wet/snow grip issues with the 245s I had on my S4.

However, my S6 on 255s (same exact tire as was on the S4) is not as invincible in the snow as the S4 was - simple as that.

Enjoy your car.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with you that if your driving through 5 inches of snow, that a higher sidewall and a narrower tire, is with out question the best choice. I simply want to point out don't go overkill on a winter tire choice. Today in Massachusetts it was 62 Degrees, and it still has not snowed yet. But it's been under 40 degrees a lot, and we've had wet & dry roads etc. I just think that you should make sure you have the right rubber compound tire, but I think you should think to yourself... "How much do I actually drive through accumulating snow?"