S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Would you buy another one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you buy another one?

Toying with the idea of getting a '13 or '14 S6. My intent would be to leave it mostly stock except an APR ECU upgrade.

I'm reasonably comfortable working on my own car. I've had a few modified B5/B6 A4's and upgraded my old C5 A6 with AWE's RSK04 kit. Looking for something reasonably fast with AWD and a usable back seat.

I'd be curious to hear from folks about how good/bad these are with maintenance. I've always been pretty lucky with my German cars, but I'm also Johnny on the spot with preventative maintenance.

Appreciate any pointers and words of wisdom about what to look out for in a second hand one. It's been a while since I logged in here. I've been doing the pony car thing for a few years.

Best,
Old 11-26-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on my third Audi and they've all been flawless. I've owned lot's of cars and the Audis are the only cars that have never been taken in for any warranty work, knock on wood. Maybe I'm just lucky but I doubt it.
Maintenance wise, they seem to be pretty easy to work on. I'm a DIYer but I have Audicare on my S6 so I haven't really messed with my car. If you are going to work on it yourself, I'd suggest getting a Vag-Com cable or a good quality diagnostic tool.
Would I buy it again? Most definitely. When I get tired of my S6, I'm probably going to get a new TT RS :-) The S6 with a tune is a hoot for sure!
Old 11-26-2016, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I'm on my third Audi and they've all been flawless. I've owned lot's of cars and the Audis are the only cars that have never been taken in for any warranty work, knock on wood. Maybe I'm just lucky but I doubt it.
Maintenance wise, they seem to be pretty easy to work on. I'm a DIYer but I have Audicare on my S6 so I haven't really messed with my car. If you are going to work on it yourself, I'd suggest getting a Vag-Com cable or a good quality diagnostic tool.
Would I buy it again? Most definitely. When I get tired of my S6, I'm probably going to get a new TT RS :-) The S6 with a tune is a hoot for sure!
I've had a VAGcom since about 2001 and currently have the CAN-bus version. Should be good to go in that regard, though it's been years since I updated the software/firmware.

This would be my 5th Audi.

Best,
Old 11-27-2016, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On S6 #2. Loaded with just about every option. Went from 2013 with 60k miles to 2016 with 6500 miles. Got a great deal on former dealer special order.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my first S6(2013) and probably last. It's very fast but just doesn't feel special to me.

Let me explain. I owned a D3 S8 before the S6. The S8 was just in a league of it's own. Sounded infinitely better with the V10 engine, more comfortable and better looking(subjective).

I tihnk I am more of a big body fan. Nothing wrong with the A/S6 at all, it's just preference
Old 11-27-2016, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Darren Coogan
On my first S6(2013) and probably last. It's very fast but just doesn't feel special to me.

Let me explain. I owned a D3 S8 before the S6. The S8 was just in a league of it's own. Sounded infinitely better with the V10 engine, more comfortable and better looking(subjective).

I tihnk I am more of a big body fan. Nothing wrong with the A/S6 at all, it's just preference
The D3 is a LOT more car and a totally different driving experience. I thought about a D3 A8L or S8 for a while, but never got around to pulling the trigger. I hear what you're saying, but I personally prefer the power to weight on the C7 S6. It's not the same "you're in a silent tank on rails" experience as the D3 for sure, but definitely more nimble, easier on gas (doubt anyone here cares about that...hehe) and a little cheaper to insure.

My questions above are mostly to gauge the level of hassle on routine maintenance since I've been out of the Audi game for a while.

Oddly enough, all the younger hipster engineers that work for me in Silicon Valley are flocking to the Tesla S. Different strokes....I don't see the attraction since I like to fiddle with the drivetrain, but you gotta love "insane mode".

Best,

Last edited by Ritz; 11-27-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'd take an S6 over a Tesla S anytime.. and that's coming from a Silicon Valley hipster
Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tinbad
I'd take an S6 over a Tesla S anytime.. and that's coming from a Silicon Valley hipster
Yeah, I don't get it either. When I go to my office in Sunnyvale, the parking lot is choked with them. Go figure.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

On my second S6, after trading my my13 at 50K miles for a my16.

No mechanical issues on the my13, though it is my opinion Audi wheels are (or at least were) more susceptible to bending than others. I had to replace 2 wheels and have one straightened, along with 3 tires. Part of the problem is the 20" low profile design. And, of course, D.C. Roads...

I tuned my my13 (APR) so getting into the my16 felt like getting into a noticeably slower car, though the sport exhaust sounds much better. The my16 will get tuned when it's older.

This will probably be my last S6, particularly if they downsize the engine to a 6. It's a fast, reliable car that will get you through inclement weather. My hope is by the time I am done with this car, I will be living in a warmer place where AWD isn't a major advantage and I can get back into a RWD sports car as my DD.
Old 11-28-2016, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritz
The D3 is a LOT more car and a totally different driving experience. I thought about a D3 A8L or S8 for a while, but never got around to pulling the trigger. I hear what you're saying, but I personally prefer the power to weight on the C7 S6. It's not the same "you're in a silent tank on rails" experience as the D3 for sure, but definitely more nimble, easier on gas (doubt anyone here cares about that...hehe) and a little cheaper to insure.

My questions above are mostly to gauge the level of hassle on routine maintenance since I've been out of the Audi game for a while.

Oddly enough, all the younger hipster engineers that work for me in Silicon Valley are flocking to the Tesla S. Different strokes....I don't see the attraction since I like to fiddle with the drivetrain, but you gotta love "insane mode".

Best,
Don't forget the A8 D4 4.0t. Only a little heavier than an S6 but with better interior. And prices are about the same between 2013 model year cars.