S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

2013 Quartz Grey S7 delivered (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:03 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should clarify - my garage isn't even pictured, as I own a condo and unfortunately only own a parking spot...
The really nice neat garage with the tan epoxy floor is the XPEL installer's garage.
The garage with the cement floor and blue walls is the shop that did my Valentine One install.
The garage with the gray epoxy floor is my dad's garage, although I can take credit for having the epoxy floor installed for him as a surprise while he was out of town. We don't have A/C or heat or a microwave out there, just tools, and a stereo!

1. As far as the Valentine One mount, this is the third car I've owned, using a V1 for nearly 15 years, and I've always used the suction cup mount. The visor mount to me is useless because it renders your visor useless - you can't flip down your visor with a V1 clipped to it. I've never had any issues with the suction cups losing grip, and I always mount them just high enough that they can't be seen outside the car - with the front radar antenna aimed out just below the tint line.

2. The V1 SAVVY (http://www.valentine1.com/savvy/) plugs directly into the OBD port, so it can read the vehicle speed. "SAVVY has just one control, a thumb wheel that lets you select a speed threshold. Below your threshold, the loudness of each new alert comes through on V1’s Muted Volume (set this with V1’s Control Lever). Above the threshold you hear the normal loudness you’ve set with the V1’s Control ****." So far, I love it, as it keeps any alarms near-silent whenever I'm under 25 MPH (the speed I chose). I did the basic wiring myself, as it was quite easy, then let the installer use the tools they have to push/pull the wiring under the Audi trim pieces along the A-pillar & ceiling.

3 & 4. I've been using a V1 remote display for the last eight years, and have grown to like it, primarily for two reasons; having the mute button within closer reach, and not advertising to cars around me that I have a radar detector. You can certainly mount a V1 above or below the rearview mirror, with the controls within reach and the display easily visible, as long as you keep in mind that the rear radar antenna needs a direct view out the back of the vehicle. My father has it mounted with the suction cups directly above the driver's side of the rearview mirror, and it works great. I already owned the remote display from my previous car, so I decided to use it again, although it's not critical. A stealthier place to mount the remote display would be at the very top of the instrument cluster, but I have a rather tall torso, and the display came too close to blocking the top of the center LCD screen - besides, it would have defeated my ability to quickly reach the mute button (reaching *through* the steering wheel wouldn't be very safe).

I don't really speed (maybe 4 over?) within towns/neighborhoods, etc, because the risk of a ticket and tiny time savings doesn't make it worthwhile, not to mention the safety risk with children, pets, people, etc. I have a bit more fun on open (not congested) highways, where you might be traveling for several hours and actually shorten your travel time. Occasionally I'll punch it, but the overall thrill for me is the acceleration more than actual high speeds. That being said, I haven't had a speeding ticket or even been stopped in nearly 15 years - the Valentine One has paid for itself several times over. Usually it just keeps me more aware of my speed in general, and saves me from "donating" to "city revenue." I have a friend who got a ticket for 27 in a 25, roughly 500 yards from their own house.

LOVING the car, but wow do these big brakes coat the wheels with dust the wheels within minutes of driving, and I coast/downshift whenever possible just to avoid the constant dusting.

Randy
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy - thanks for the V1 info. I will definitely hardwire mine. Enjoy your ride and please continue to post feedback regarding your S7 experience.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
Here are the products I used to detail the S7, photos of the car completed with XPEL Ultimate, and one of the MMI software version.

Randy
It looks like they cut the XPEL to go around the "V8T" badge on the side of your car.

I have heard from a couple of other owners who said their installers removed the badge and re-installed it on top of the XPEL film
Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 AM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Originally Posted by manishaudi
It looks like they cut the XPEL to go around the "V8T" badge on the side of your car. I have heard from a couple of other owners who said their installers removed the badge and re-installed it on top of the XPEL film
I've seen that done too, and while I agree it looks sharper (and would collect less polish/wax residue), I was concerned about getting them securely re-adhered to the film, and lined up as perfectly as they were from the factory. Andy previously installed XPEL Ultimate on my dad's A7, with a cut-out around the supercharged badge, so I was confident he would do a great job on the V8T badge as well. I'm just going to be extra careful when cleaning/polishing that area!

Randy
Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quite inspirational, well done!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
It looks like they cut the XPEL to go around the "V8T" badge on the side of your car.

I have heard from a couple of other owners who said their installers removed the badge and re-installed it on top of the XPEL film
My installer took them off and reapplied over the Xpel. I'm curious about the detailing stuff. That water video is quite compelling. Do you think it would make bugs easier to wash off? Now that spring is here, I have A LOT of bugs daily. They're a pain to clean and it would be nice to have a better solution.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randy,

Looks great! Couple questions - are you still happy w/ the Gtecniq products, and you said you did a lot of research - can you provide some of the websites you used if you used them?

thanks!

Matt
Old 05-04-2013, 10:05 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

Default Gtechniq detail

After letting the XPEL film cure for a week or two, I recoated the entire vehicle with the Gtechniq range of products, to ensure all of the XPEL film had the same protection (dirt repellency), and for good measure, I re-coated the non-XPEL film (stock paint) areas as well. Since this is the first time I've used Gtechniq products, I went a bit overboard to insure that I did it completely right, and left no bit of the vehicle uncoated. As far as the research I did to find the Gtechniq products, it was mostly other car forums, some detailing forums, both US and UK-based...most reviews I found by Google and YouTube.

I put two coats of C1 on all the paint (and XPEL film), two coats of C4 on all plastic trim, two coats of C5 on the wheels and exhaust, let all of that cure, then coated *everything* with Gtechniq EXO, twice. I even wiped down any glossy areas in the wheel wells. I used "PlastiCoat tire shine" which you apply with a mini paint roller, and is supposed to last months. Once it's dry, it's completely dry - you could rub your pant leg on it on purpose and not have anything show up on your clothing. You can find videos of it on YouTube, and I purchased my mine through: http://autobionix.com/shop/permanent-tire-shine/

So far, I've hosed off the wheels once, and it was amazing - I didn't use a brush or even any soap, and the dirt mostly ran right off. I didn't bother doing a full wash as it was going to rain later in the day - I just wanted to see what a hose alone could do (see video below). I have a few photos below of the car with rain on it when it was parked - you'll notice the water beads have a very high contact angle. The two bugs I've hit so far wiped off like they were nothing more than water (using a damp microfiber cloth). As far as long-term protection, I'll have to report back later, maybe after a long summer roadtrip or two. My father's Quartz A7 is fully coated with Zaino products, so I'll be able to judge both cars all summer.

I'll be traveling for the next two weeks for work, so I may not be able to reply as quickly as normal. If you're interested, tune in to The Today Show on May 12th and you'll see me promoting this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/un...xe/id614816812

Randy

Here is a video I made of the brake dust rinsing off, the stock exhaust, and the interesting effect a rotating polarizing lens has...

Next up, photos, which I'll have to post in multiple posts.
Attached Images      
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

More photos
Attached Images      
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
2013 Audi S7 owner

even more photos
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: 2013 Quartz Grey S7 delivered (photos)