S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

360 Degree Surround Camera

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 360 Degree Surround Camera

Hello all!

First time poster, long time lurker. Please scroll down to the last paragraph for the BLUF (jargon for "Bottom Line Up Front")

A little background... I've been very intrigued by this vehicle since its release in the form of the A7. I have to he honest though, at the time the A7 came out, I was single with no children so the utility/practicality wasn't a huge concern for me. I was more interested in performance. The A7 wasn't exactly what I was looking for in performance, despite its sheer beauty and awesome available gee whiz technology suite. I went with a 2012 BMW 650i lease instead. A sexy (2 door) coupe with performance and technology. I was, however, hopeful that an S7 would emerge one day.

Fast forward to today. The S7 is now available in all its glory, am now married and just had my first born two days ago. (I'm actually typing this from the hospital while my baby is being treated by hospital staff). The S7 just meets every single requirement I have in a vehicle... except one minor detail. In no particular order, it has performance (for times I drive alone of course), AWD (I live in the NE and it's Quattro to boot), beauty, a large hatch/cargo capacity, four doors, technology (I'm a little geeky when it comes to automotive tech), various safety features. If you haven't guessed by now what that one minor detail is that this beast is missing, well, it's the 360 degree/surround view cameras. My Bimmer lease is up in about a year and when it time to turn in the keys, I won't look back. But I do have to say that the 360 view on the BMW is probably my single most loved and used feature and my Bimmer is fully loaded. Audi took it one step further and added a front camera and rear corner view cameras.

Let me conclude this post before our bundle of joy is returned to us. Basically, by the time my Bimmer lease is up, looks like the A7/S7 platform will be receiving a facelift. I'm pretty sure I read that Audi was unable to install the Surround view cameras because of the shape of A7/S7. According to the spy shots, the camouflage paint is placed on all the components mentioned for the facelift (bumpers, lights, etc)... AND ALSO... the sides (doors, fenders, quarter panels, etc).

My questions are , has anyone heard of the facelifted A7/S7 receiving the Surround view cameras? Is it possible that the sides of the facelifted vehicle, where the camo paint is, are being refreshed to allow for this feature? I understand that this can be an overlooked feature for those that haven't used it but I can assure you that it is incredible. Just to be perfectly clear, the lack of these cameras is by no means a deal breaker. The S7 is still my first choice. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your follow up posts. Looking forward to becoming an active member in the near future.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itinj6
Hello all!

First time poster, long time lurker. Please scroll down to the last paragraph for the BLUF (jargon for "Bottom Line Up Front")

A little background... I've been very intrigued by this vehicle since its release in the form of the A7. I have to he honest though, at the time the A7 came out, I was single with no children so the utility/practicality wasn't a huge concern for me. I was more interested in performance. The A7 wasn't exactly what I was looking for in performance, despite its sheer beauty and awesome available gee whiz technology suite. I went with a 2012 BMW 650i lease instead. A sexy (2 door) coupe with performance and technology. I was, however, hopeful that an S7 would emerge one day.

Fast forward to today. The S7 is now available in all its glory, am now married and just had my first born two days ago. (I'm actually typing this from the hospital while my baby is being treated by hospital staff). The S7 just meets every single requirement I have in a vehicle... except one minor detail. In no particular order, it has performance (for times I drive alone of course), AWD (I live in the NE and it's Quattro to boot), beauty, a large hatch/cargo capacity, four doors, technology (I'm a little geeky when it comes to automotive tech), various safety features. If you haven't guessed by now what that one minor detail is that this beast is missing, well, it's the 360 degree/surround view cameras. My Bimmer lease is up in about a year and when it time to turn in the keys, I won't look back. But I do have to say that the 360 view on the BMW is probably my single most loved and used feature and my Bimmer is fully loaded. Audi took it one step further and added a front camera and rear corner view cameras.

Let me conclude this post before our bundle of joy is returned to us. Basically, by the time my Bimmer lease is up, looks like the A7/S7 platform will be receiving a facelift. I'm pretty sure I read that Audi was unable to install the Surround view cameras because of the shape of A7/S7. According to the spy shots, the camouflage paint is placed on all the components mentioned for the facelift (bumpers, lights, etc)... AND ALSO... the sides (doors, fenders, quarter panels, etc).

My questions are , has anyone heard of the facelifted A7/S7 receiving the Surround view cameras? Is it possible that the sides of the facelifted vehicle, where the camo paint is, are being refreshed to allow for this feature? I understand that this can be an overlooked feature for those that haven't used it but I can assure you that it is incredible. Just to be perfectly clear, the lack of these cameras is by no means a deal breaker. The S7 is still my first choice. Thank you for reading and thank you in advance for your follow up posts. Looking forward to becoming an active member in the near future.
The lack of surround had more to do with the position of the mirrors

S7 mirror are mounted on the doors like a real exotic car, instead of in front of the windows like the S6 (which has surround cameras)

I guess that made them a bit "too low" to get a good view

You still get front and rear cameras though

Last edited by clintb; 03-27-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=itinj6;24554259]Hello all!

one minor detail is that this beast is missing, well, it's the 360 degree/surround view cameras.

My questions are , has anyone heard of the facelifted A7/S7 receiving the Surround view cameras? Looking forward to becoming an active member in the near future.

I just put in my order last Saturday for a S7 and also coming from a BMW but an X5. The mirrors on the Audi are in a different location and also do not stick out on a stand as mine do. 360 is nice but I did not consider it at all. The dealers do not know what changes are comming for 2015 or at least the two I talked to.

In fact it seems unclear if the car I ordered Saturday will be a 2014 or a 2015. There is the 650XI Grand Coupe but for the money and features it ended up being a pretty easy choice. Looks great, moves fast and can hold a good deal in the back with the layout it has.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by clintb
The lack of surround had more to do with the position of the mirrors

S7 mirror are mounted on the doors like a real exotic car, instead of in front of the windows like the S6 (which has surround cameras)

I guess that made them a bit "too low" to get a good view

You still get front and rear cameras though
Thanks for posting! Maybe it was the position of the mirror that I read about. Rear camera is always good and I'm sure the front is even better (my Bimmer didn't have front as an option) for those dreaded bumper destroying parking blocks but damn the Surround view is excellent. Truth be told, I never use the rear camera and I rarely look out the windows when parking with the Surround view. My driveway is fairly long and narrow and my eyes are glued to my idrive screen when I back in/out of it with the Surround view.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=emcman;24554366]
Originally Posted by itinj6
Hello all!

one minor detail is that this beast is missing, well, it's the 360 degree/surround view cameras.

My questions are , has anyone heard of the facelifted A7/S7 receiving the Surround view cameras? Looking forward to becoming an active member in the near future.

I just put in my order last Saturday for a S7 and also coming from a BMW but an X5. The mirrors on the Audi are in a different location and also do not stick out on a stand as mine do. 360 is nice but I did not consider it at all. The dealers do not know what changes are comming for 2015 or at least the two I talked to.

In fact it seems unclear if the car I ordered Saturday will be a 2014 or a 2015. There is the 650XI Grand Coupe but for the money and features it ended up being a pretty easy choice. Looks great, moves fast and can hold a good deal in the back with the layout it has.
The 650 GC just looks really out of proportion to me and the trunk space is lacking. Besides, between my wife and I, we've had to trade assist 5 BMWs because of problems. I'm probably done with BMW. I got the Dinan Stage 2 and I am not happy with it for the money I paid. Looks like the Audi tunes have better reviews. Shouldve went with BMS.

By the time my lease is up, it will probably be closer to the 2016 MY for the S7 so I'll probably end up waiting the few months and extend my BMW lease. Just hope Audi releases the "S" along with the "A" this time around. Would hate to wait even longer. Gonna check out the Auto Show in NYC next month. If the A/S 7 is getting a refresh, I'm sure it will be there. One dealership I checked out said the refresh won't be around till 2017 because the RS7 just came out. I find that hard to believe considering all the leaked facelifted spy shots and the snow testing by Audi.

Doesn't the spec sheet for your order have the MY on it?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=itinj6;24554759]
Originally Posted by emcman

The 650 GC just looks really out of proportion to me and the trunk space is lacking. Besides, between my wife and I, we've had to trade assist 5 BMWs because of problems. I'm probably done with BMW. I got the Dinan Stage 2 and I am not happy with it for the money I paid. Looks like the Audi tunes have better reviews. Shouldve went with BMS.

By the time my lease is up, it will probably be closer to the 2016 MY for the S7 so I'll probably end up waiting the few months and extend my BMW lease. Just hope Audi releases the "S" along with the "A" this time around. Would hate to wait even longer. Gonna check out the Auto Show in NYC next month. If the A/S 7 is getting a refresh, I'm sure it will be there. One dealership I checked out said the refresh won't be around till 2017 because the RS7 just came out. I find that hard to believe considering all the leaked facelifted spy shots and the snow testing by Audi.

Doesn't the spec sheet for your order have the MY on it?
I hear you on the BMW my 2010 X5 3.5D was a trade assist for my 07 X5 4.8 from hell. More of a trade force than assist. The region BMW rep would not do a thing so I got hold of an company officer in Munich. I could not put down $100G for another BMW that they would not stand behind.

My year and ETA is marked TBD. The price list is for 2014 but was dated early April of 2013 so he guessed another sheet would be here is a couple of weeks. That is why he says it will be a 2015. He did say that he did not think there would be many changes. Flat bottom steering wheel maybe.

I should get an update in 2-3 weeks.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:16 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi
does someone can make a vcds on a car who already have a 360 surrounding camera
i need to know where the electronique device is
maybe in 6C
thank you
Old 03-31-2014, 12:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hello again
does anybody can send me a scan with vcds of his car with 360° surrounding camera ?
thank you
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lionel clerc
hello again
does anybody can send me a scan with vcds of his car with 360° surrounding camera ?
thank you
YOu should probably ask in the S6 forum, since S7 does not have the 360 cam
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lionel clerc
hello again
thank you
You can also check YouTube videos of the system in action

Quick Reply: 360 Degree Surround Camera