S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Buying 2015 S7 - snow tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2015 S7 - snow tire advice

New to the forum. Picking up my S7 next week and living in Connecticut, want to put on snow tires almost immediately. I've heard that Audi strongly "recommends" only one brand (don't remember what) of all-season tires, but I was curious what others have done for the winter months.

I have the black optic package, so it'll be on 20" wheels.

Any thoughts and advice is very much appreciated as I really don't know which way to go here.

Thank you!
Old 11-21-2014, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by jmichael1

want to put on snow tires almost immediately.

I've heard that Audi strongly "recommends" only one brand (don't remember what) of all-season tires, but I was curious what others have done for the winter months.
Hi, J, and welcome aboard!

Are you trying to buy all-season tires or snow tires?

By far the easiest and least expensive solution is calling Tire Rack and having them deliver to your front door snow tires mounted on smaller diameter wheels (smaller than 20"). I'd contact Gary, our dedicated Audi rep, and have him help you thru the process.

Take care.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have 2015 a7 tdi. Bought 18" s5 replica wheels from mod bargains in California. Then put on blizzaks Lm 32 255/45. We have snow and tires are great. I have run blizzaks on jeep, f150, 335xi and 2012 gtr (last two were run flats). I swear by them, would consider nokians but I have had such good luck with blizzaks, hard to switch. The a7 feels bulletproof.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are buying snow tires - sure you can go the Tire Rack direction (I did on my S5) but when it came to my S7, the savings wasn't enough.

The recommended package from TireRack looks like it is $2300 or so. If you buy the Audi Winter Wheel package it retails at $3100, but then assuming you are an AudiClub NA member you'll get another 10% or so off that package $2800 or so - the $500 surcharge for the factory wheels was worth it for me.

My dealer has a guy who warehouses the wheels year-round for $140. Makes this whole process a very easy one.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I purchased Dunlop Winter Sport 20" from Darling's Audi in Bangor ME. They have a V rating and were around $340 ?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nahanni
I purchased Dunlop Winter Sport 20" from Darling's Audi in Bangor ME. They have a V rating and were around $340 ?
Have you driven on them yet in snow?

I'm leaning towards the Nokian G2 on the existing rims. They've gotten top reviews and are all-weather tires, so I may avoid swapping out tires each season.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Have you driven on them yet in snow?

I'm leaning towards the Nokian G2 on the existing rims. They've gotten top reviews and are all-weather tires, so I may avoid swapping out tires each season.
Last winter approximately 1000km (610 miles). Not enough in snow to give an opinion.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New to the forum. Picking up my S7 next week and living in Connecticut, want to put on snow tires almost immediately. I've heard that Audi strongly "recommends" only one brand (don't remember what) of all-season tires, but I was curious what others have done for the winter months.

Any thoughts and advice is very much appreciated as I really don't know which way to go here.

Thank you!
I'm in Pennsylvania and we probably don't get the amount of snow as Connecticut, but it's often significant when we do. And I lived in northern Maine for three years so I know what driving in snow is like. I had an A8 and put Continental ExtremeContact DWS ultra high performance all-season tires on it because I didn't want the inconvenience of swapping wheels or tires twice a year (driving on summer tires only here doesn't make sense in my opinion; they also aren't as good in cold or rain). They worked like a champ and I could drive through any weather. And they're quiet and didn't negatively affect the handling.

I'm getting ready to order a 2016 S7, but while I'm waiting for the order guide to be updated with prices I was looking at certified used ones that are available. Part of the certification and warranty process is that the dealer has to put new tires on the car if they are below a certain wear level. Every one that I saw had installed the same Continentals mentioned above. So it looks like they are a pretty good option and my recommendation isn't only backed up by my personal experience. PLUS (huge advantage over snow tires on extra wheels) you can buy a whole set for under $1000. Depending on your installer, it might cost $25 per wheel to install them. But in my last transaction I had the dealer buy back my factory tires and install the Continentals as part of the deal - Tire Rack shipped directly to the dealer so I never had to handle them. Their parts department will eventually need the factory tires to sell to other Audi owners who want to replace with OEM or for leased vehicles when they are turned in. Best wishes!
Old 11-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I usually like Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 but can't them in the right size so instead got Dunlop Winter 3d. So far pretty good although haven't rreally needed them yet. Ride is nice and quiet too. Size is 265/35/R20. Same as the summer tires. See the pic
Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you!
I went with the Audi recommended tire & wheel package, which is part # A7S7W19C002. 19" wheels with Continental WinterContact TS 830P AO 235/45R19 99V tires. MSRP is $3325. Via the find dealer option on the Audi USA parts page, I found that Audi of Brooklyn offered them for $2800, and shipped them to me for $99 in NJ.

The best I could do on TireRack was about $2400 for 19" wheels & tires (Blizzaks) delivered. I decided the $500 difference was worth it for the OEM wheels ... and will probably be easier to resell when I trade in or sell the car down the line.

Quick Reply: Buying 2015 S7 - snow tire advice