S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Considering 2017 vs. 2016

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2017 vs. 2016

Hello - I did a search but couldn't find much in the way of comparisons for 2016s vs 2017s, so apologies if this is duplicative with info that is already out there.

When looking at 2017s vs. 2016s available on the lot, it looks like you can price out a 2017 for a few k cheaper than a '16 by going with premium plus and then adding the black optics package for better wheels. Granted, you have 20" wheels instead of 21", but that is not a deal killer for me. By going this route, are you missing out on anything besides HUD and perhaps interior LED lighting?

Dealer did not have a firm grasp of the differences so I thought you all might be able to shed light on the situation, and if I'm missing anything significant with a 2017 "prem plus" vs. prestige, or general changes that are new in the 2017.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Look forward to getting back into an audi--been a very long time! (since a 2000 A6)
Old 08-23-2016, 02:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

2017 get Android Auto / Apple CarPlay. As you have noted the 2017 has an option for either Prem+ or Prestige, where all previous models were only made to the Prestige trim level.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

perfect. thanks for the info
Old 08-26-2016, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another minor difference is (if you get the sport package - which you absolute should!) on a 2017 the brake calipers are painted red, it's a nice touch that I liked. Earlier this month I went with a 16 S6 and he biggest reason for me over a 17 was the price. Obviously much better deals to be had on outgoing models. I also looked at S7s, they are gorgeous but I really need the third rear seat.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in the same boat. Heart set on a '17 Misano Red and I see no '16s available. For the right price, I would consider a '16 in a different color. I thought they had Android Auto already? Also, how much would a leftover MSRP $90k get discounted? I realize the closer it gets to the end of the year the more willing they are to sell them. Too early or wait a couple more months?
Old 08-26-2016, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigDawg
I'm in the same boat. Heart set on a '17 Misano Red and I see no '16s available. For the right price, I would consider a '16 in a different color. I thought they had Android Auto already? Also, how much would a leftover MSRP $90k get discounted? I realize the closer it gets to the end of the year the more willing they are to sell them. Too early or wait a couple more months?
Good deals are for sure to be had now on the 16s. I paid 12% off MSRP before $3k in rebates a month ago for my S6. I believe current rebates are valid until 9/1.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Good deals are for sure to be had now on the 16s. I paid 12% off MSRP before $3k in rebates a month ago for my S6. I believe current rebates are valid until 9/1.
Wow! 12%..How did you pull that off?? I just spoke to a dealership near me and threw that number at him. He chuckled and claimed there is only a 6% markup on the S7..He is now " talking to his manager" and is suppose to call me back.. Do tell!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Wow! 12%..How did you pull that off?? I just spoke to a dealership near me and threw that number at him. He chuckled and claimed there is only a 6% markup on the S7..He is now " talking to his manager" and is suppose to call me back.. Do tell!
Easy I contacted one of the 6 dealers within 30 miles here on the pre-last day of the month. He said if I come in tomorrow to buy it he would give me $8k off MSRP before rebates. I used that as a baseline to negotiate with the dealer I bought my last 2 cars from and they gave me another $1k off so I thought that was good enough and pulled the trigger (didn't even have to go to the other 4).

I think I just got lucky and also that there were quite a few S6's in inventory around here (each of the dealers had at least 1 or 2 16MY S6's) and I also imagine that not everywhere there are 6 dealers within 30 miles... But if you're buying new, you may as well try out of state - just contact as many dealers as you can who have what you want and play them against each other.

Good luck, I can imagine the amount of 16's is getting slimmer by the day so you gotta be better emailing dealers right now
Old 09-04-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks again for the advice and knowledge about these cars. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the '16 after way too much overthinking and trying to compare vs. a CPO CLS63. Looking forward to lurking around here in the future!

I ended up in a similar boat re: msrp (~13% off) -- BUT, my car was a GM demo that he had been driving and had 3k miles on it. I struggled quite a bit with that aspect of the decision as well. But at the end of the day, getting $6-7k below invoice (after all rebates, etc.) made it worthwhile and day 2 with the car I'm pretty happy.

Personally, on a new '16, I would shoot for invoice and try and work a couple grand off the price from there.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Easy I contacted one of the 6 dealers within 30 miles here on the pre-last day of the month. He said if I come in tomorrow to buy it he would give me $8k off MSRP before rebates. I used that as a baseline to negotiate with the dealer I bought my last 2 cars from and they gave me another $1k off so I thought that was good enough and pulled the trigger (didn't even have to go to the other 4).

I think I just got lucky and also that there were quite a few S6's in inventory around here (each of the dealers had at least 1 or 2 16MY S6's) and I also imagine that not everywhere there are 6 dealers within 30 miles... But if you're buying new, you may as well try out of state - just contact as many dealers as you can who have what you want and play them against each other.

Good luck, I can imagine the amount of 16's is getting slimmer by the day so you gotta be better emailing dealers right now
Well, he never called back. I did get a call from his manager a couple of days later. I explained to him how rude his SA was.. Too bad for them because......

Originally Posted by kpriv
Thanks again for the advice and knowledge about these cars. Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the '16 after way too much overthinking and trying to compare vs. a CPO CLS63. Looking forward to lurking around here in the future!

I ended up in a similar boat re: msrp (~13% off) -- BUT, my car was a GM demo that he had been driving and had 3k miles on it. I struggled quite a bit with that aspect of the decision as well. But at the end of the day, getting $6-7k below invoice (after all rebates, etc.) made it worthwhile and day 2 with the car I'm pretty happy.

Personally, on a new '16, I would shoot for invoice and try and work a couple grand off the price from there.
Funny, I ended up picking up a '13 CLS63 due to the local Audi SA telling me he wasnt desperate to sell a car and basically blowing me off after he said he would call me back and never did.

Last edited by BigDawg; 09-06-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Considering 2017 vs. 2016