S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Cross-Post: Strange Low-Speed Squealing Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Cross-Post: Strange Low-Speed Squealing Noise

**Cross-Post from A7 Sub-Forum**
I wanted to ask about a strange experience that I had with a low-speed squealing noise. At low speed (0-30 mph), my car started making a horrific and quite loud metal-on-metal scraping/squealing noise that appeared to be coming from the front right wheel. Double-tapping the brakes, turning off the car, nothing made it go away. Until, that is, I went to take it to the dealer, squealing down the road and picking up speed past 40 mph, tapping on the brakes lightly, the noise stopped. It didn't come back again for the remaining 8 months that I owned my 2014 A7 TDI.

I now have a 2017 S7, and the same thing happened again! I got the noise to go away in the same fashion, but I am now going to take it in to see what it might have been. Any ideas? Unseated brake pad? I would really appreciate any ideas. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2020, 01:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Speed Wine Noise

Originally Posted by Aviator Gray/Blue TT
**Cross-Post from A7 Sub-Forum**
I wanted to ask about a strange experience that I had with a low-speed squealing noise. At low speed (0-30 mph), my car started making a horrific and quite loud metal-on-metal scraping/squealing noise that appeared to be coming from the front right wheel. Double-tapping the brakes, turning off the car, nothing made it go away. Until, that is, I went to take it to the dealer, squealing down the road and picking up speed past 40 mph, tapping on the brakes lightly, the noise stopped. It didn't come back again for the remaining 8 months that I owned my 2014 A7 TDI.

I now have a 2017 S7, and the same thing happened again! I got the noise to go away in the same fashion, but I am now going to take it in to see what it might have been. Any ideas? Unseated brake pad? I would really appreciate any ideas. Thank you!
Hello, I’d be grateful of some help identifying a wine noise that’s occurring on my 2014 S7.

The noise appears to be coming from the front right hand side (drivers side Right Hand Drive).

The noise is audible when driving at low speeds 1 to 20 mph. Initially I thought it was a break pad on disc squeal but the pitch never changes regardless of brake pressure and remains present right up to being stationary. The noise seemed to start when I’d be caught in slow moving traffic, applying the brakes lightly and frequently would start off the squeal/ wine and would stop when stationary.
I took it to an Audi dealership the other day, a technician accompanied me for a drive but I couldn’t get the noise to perform as it normally does. The car is booked in for a diagnostic but as I write this I’m not confident of the area of investigation. They are going to start with the brake servo to see if there is any leakage in the delivery line. This was decided upon as the servo is located behind the dash where the noise is most audible. Interestingly the noise isn’t obvious standing outside the car while being driven slowly. As I finish this a thought occurred to me, do the clocks still rely on cables; speedo, mileage, etc. Could that squeal. That would fit with the constant pitch regardless of low speeds?
Any diagnostic advice would be appreciated.
Mike