S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Low Engine Coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Engine Coolant?

I have a 13 S7 that I purchase a few months ago, CPO with about 17,500 miles. I have only driven about 1K miles in the past few months since owning it. The other day I get a warning that engine coolant is low. I drove about 20 min and came home. After it cooled, I checked it and the well looks empty. Drove it the next day for a few minutes and got the same warning. Doing some research didn't yield me any insight. I am guessing there must be some leak? I have an appointment with the dealership on Monday morning but wanted to see if anyone else experienced something like this? Also, if there is a leak (which I'm guessing there has to be?), is this something covered under the CPO warranty? Finally, should i just add some water to get me to the dealer on Monday if the well is pretty empty? Thanks!
Old 10-10-2015, 11:34 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You need to add the correct mix of anti-freeze/water, it's not just plain water.

If you had topped it up, and the warning light came on again and the level was low, then ld be worried.

By the way, if the coolant was that low, your lucky to have gotten away without any engine damage. Did you notice how high the engine temperature became in the 20 minute drive with the warning on?

Last edited by jkwelsh; 10-10-2015 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jkwelsh
You need to add the correct mix of anti-freeze/water, it's not just plain water.

If you had topped it up, and the warning light came on again and the level was low, then ld be worried.

By the way, if the coolant was that low, your lucky to have gotten away without any engine damage. Did you notice how high the engine temperature became in the 20 minute drive with the warning on?
After only driving 1,500 miles since buying cpo there is no reason the car should be low on engine coolant. Also i am guessing that adding water to get to the dealer will be fine as they will most likely flush the system as something has to be wrong? Either way the temp never got about the 50% mark and the dealership is about 10 min away.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took it in this morning. It ended up being a leaky hose that was repaired previously by another dealership but not correctly.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:49 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you got it sorted!