42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Phantom Black vs. Ice Silver

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phantom Black vs. Ice Silver

Trying to decide on a color combo for an S7 - Phantom Black/Lunar Silver or Ice Silver/Black. My last 2 cars have been silver exterior/black interior for a reason, it's the most practical color combination (and i think it looks good), i live in the city where it's hard to get to a car wash regularly, and i have 2 young kids so i care about keeping my cars clean. i think the ice silver looks understated and classic, but the black looks great as well, makes the chrome accents of the car really pop. Which would you pick and why?
Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

I originally bought a Brilliant black a5. Had it for 3 months and traded it for a quartz grey a5. The swirls, dust and paint imperfections drove me crazy. Black is not a color it's a full time job.

Also, the lines of the car show up much better on a lighter car and the beauty of the 7 series are the subtle creases in the car. You want to see those fully.

Not sure why you are looking at silver instead of Quartz grey. It's an elegant and traditional Audi color which they used in their ad campaigns for years. Shows practically no dirt
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ayfourthreepointoh
My last 2 cars have been silver exterior/black interior
OK, last 2 cars have been silver. Time to mix it up and go black - Phantom Black!
Old 01-13-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

True, i would consider Quartz gray. the one S7 print ad i saw had what i thought was an ice silver car but it could have been Quartz.

Is this quartz gray or ice silver?
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quartz Gray I think
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

True, i would consider Quartz gray. the one S7 print ad i saw had what i thought was an ice silver car but it could have been Quartz.

This is a picture of the quartz. The silver is very nice but under full sun it washes out. It is lighter than quartz. Silver looks best under indirect sunlight , dusk etc.

That picture of the quartz is also not representative as doesn't show the true shine of the color.

Here is a much better [picture of quartz grey

Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

i'm no expert but omeletepant's pic looks like daytona gray to me, it looks to dark and rich to be quartz. in fact, that pic is from the 2007 geneva auto show, not even sure quartz gray existed at the time?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neither...I believe this is Prism Silver which was supposed to be one of two S exclusive colors for 2012/13 but Audi dropped the color availability at launch and just kept Estoril Blue.

+1 for the call on Quartz over Ice, btw
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i'm no expert but omeletepant's pic looks like daytona gray to me, it looks to dark and rich to be quartz. in fact, that pic is from the 2007 geneva auto show, not even sure quartz gray existed at the time?
I'm positive that is quartz grey. Daytona has more purple in it and would even be darker. Outside of direct sunlight Quartz has a medium grey color.

BTW, I believe Audi has had Quartz for many years. It's one of their traditional colors and they used it as the showcase color in their brochures and ads before white became the rage
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

This car is Prism

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
This is a picture of the quartz. The silver is very nice but under full sun it washes out. It is lighter than quartz. Silver looks best under indirect sunlight , dusk etc.

That picture of the quartz is also not representative as doesn't show the true shine of the color.

Here is a much better [picture of quartz grey

Quick Reply: Phantom Black vs. Ice Silver